U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM

10,394 posts, read 8,344,729 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6zv8...eature=related
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I wear earplugs a lot because I work a lot of night shifts. I don't care what neighborhood you're in, those are handy when you need to be going to sleep at 8 in the morning.

And I never said my neighborhood was quiet (in fact, I explicitly stated the opposite, way to read champ), just that it is likely quieter than his current place.
Why would that be the case?

You need to accept that what you wrote and what you allege is oxymoronic.

It's quieter, BUT you still need ear plugs.

If noise is an issue, it makes sense for a person to move where they DON'T need ear plugs---PERIOD!

Got that, ahhhh, 'champ'?

@wewewaa,

Ever been to Spanish Harlem, Fort Washington or even Bushwich?

Why equate where you haven't been to what you know?

Btw, what neighborhood do you live?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Gotta say, I love reading these threads and seeing the same people who rip Staten Island talking about how the other boros are. I walk my dog around 9pm every night, and hear nothing but crickets. I park my car in front my house, in the same spot, every single day. If my neighbors are going to have a party, it ends at a reasonable time because they have work the next day, or if on a weekend, they have consideration for those of us who live near them. I don't even hear car radios where I live. I have no clue how you guys deal with this type of living and why you think its worth it to live in these 'hoods for ANY reason.
I really don't enjoy reading post like yours, which seeks to devalue any way of life but which you live, as if there is nothing else of value, and worth sacrafice.

How do you ever get off that Island? With the $16 toll and the clogged bridges and expressway?

Go to the city much? Partake of any of the world class events, restaurants, shows, etc. On anything other than a special occaision, and I'm not talking an evening out to see The Lion King and dinner at the Olive Garden!!

Happy with your life? Great, but because you can't see the benefit in others choices, doesn't mean its not there. Its just a shortcoming of yours, not theirs.

One could say you live a rather provincial lifestyle on Staten Island, and frankly that is all you could live. While others prefer to live a richer fuller more cosmopolitan life even if it doesn't include crickets!

Not everyone wants or needs, grass, trees, and a white picket fence. In fact, many transplants are trying to escape just that! But then, lets make the world in your image, right?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Exactly.... they don't care and they just think it's okay. WHO thinks like that?? I try to have consideration all the time for my neighbors and would never think about doing anything that might interfere with their lives or their peace. I just can't imagine sitting here blasting music all night and thinking it's okay.
Dude, you do realize that YOU are the minority! Everybody else in the area is ok with it.

So, stop trying to impose yourself, and move to where people give a dmn. Oh! Can't afford that? Well too bad for you. Perhaps you should ask all those people who 'care' in those nice quiet neighborhoods about your plight among the loud and ghetto. Maybe they'll lower the rent just for your non-ghetto self.

Shessh, move to the ghetto and then complain about it being the ghetto.

The OP moves to El Barrio and complains about it being a Barrio!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Honestly, I'm over it. I lived in the Mexican neighborhoods in LA so I'm no stranger to noise, but it's a whole different monster out here. Loud music will start between 10pm-12am and then finally die down around 6am on the weekends. It's ridiculous. Does wintertime bring any relief from this, or do people just party all year round up here? I'm at a crossroads and considering a different neighborhood.

While we're at it- I know NYC will always be noisy, but what the least noisy place in Manhattan?
I made a whole entire thread with the 311 noise complaints. Its a loose loose situation.

I would advise you to move before you get into a fight with noisy neighbors.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM

614 posts, read 1,403,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its a loose loose situation.

I would advise you to move before you get into a fight with noisy neighbors.
It seems to be the running "theme" on the NYC forums.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Leave or learn to deal with it. If you think these folks are going to be fooled by some phony letters by some yuppie West coast transplant think again.

Also 911 calls are probably the last thing you want to do you will be singled out for retaliation. These folks have been living together for years probably generations no one has called 911 before. So here you come and the cops come a calling they will know it was you who called immediately.

My guess is the landlord knows of the loud music so getting out of your lease shouldn't be too much of a problem besides he can jack up the rent for the next sucker.
Its also possible to withhold the rent if the clause in the lease is to not be loud and disturb others. Either noisy neighbor will have to turn it down or be thrown out.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
" Everybody else in the area is ok with it."

Highly unlikely. Many neigborhoods are dominated by the young and aggressive and their behavior. The idea that "everyone" there is "ok with it" is just ignorant. They put up with it, but plenty of them are not ok with it.

But the ones enjoying the music are not gonna change, and its diminishing the quality of your life, so just move out if you have the means to do so.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 PM

483 posts, read 713,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Shame it would have to come to clogging up an emergency line but if it comes to that tonight, I will. I've had it. My friend also gave me the idea of drafting up "official-looking" management letters and citing a few city laws regarding noise and such, and placing them on the doors of the perps. I might get that started now, actually.
Are you joking? Don't call 911 or leave letters. This isn't California, "dude". Consider this as a lesson learned and next time you go apartment hunting, visit the apt during different hours of the day and night.

To the so called "experts" on East Harlem, I wonder if you've ever been up here at all and if so, when was the last time? There's a lot of crap that's being said about E. Harlem and I doubt it's from personal experience that's been recently experienced. I just renewed my lease for 2 more years because I love my apt and I like my block. I can also afford other areas of Manhattan - below 96th st.

I've only heard loud music twice in the middle of the night and it wasn't even in my apt building, it came from the other building that I'm facing. I sleep during the day and again, no problems. I've walked my dogs numerous amounts of times in the middle of the night (3a) and I'm still alive to write about it. (GASP!! It's East Harlem, you know the area that's NOT heaven when other neighborhoods are compared to it!!) Yes there are guys who hang out on the corner (not on my block though) on different blocks but they don't bother anyone. They converse amongst themselves and that's it. There are some dicey areas but for people to say crap like, "why the he11 would you live there anyway?" without knowing that there are block after block of people living in E. Harlem that are quiet, decent, hard working and cause no trouble, pis$es me off! I grew up in W. Harlem but I remember going to E. Harlem and it was terrible, absolutely terrible, it's been cleaned up a lot compared to what it used to be. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from living in E. Harlem, however, do your research on the block that you are interested in.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
How do you ever get off that Island? With the $16 toll and the clogged bridges and expressway?

Go to the city much? Partake of any of the world class events, restaurants, shows, etc. On anything other than a special occaision, and I'm not talking an evening out to see The Lion King and dinner at the Olive Garden!!

But then, lets make the world in your image, right?
From the top:

1. We get a discount, it's only $5.70 or something close to that. But it does suck.

2. Unfortunately, almost everyday. I'd much prefer the life you condescendingly outlined in the rest of your post. If it's any consolation, I like Brooklyn much better than Manhattan I don't need to do things that other people consider 'world class', never been my thing. Ps, that's sad that Manhattan has an Olive Garden; how world class is that!? Even SI doesn't have that crap.

3. Please no! I wish more people, especially from BK, felt the way you do! Why the hell would I want them here chasing away my crickets?

Last edited by Airborneguy; 10-10-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City