Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I'm over it. I lived in the Mexican neighborhoods in LA so I'm no stranger to noise, but it's a whole different monster out here. Loud music will start between 10pm-12am and then finally die down around 6am on the weekends. It's ridiculous. Does wintertime bring any relief from this, or do people just party all year round up here? I'm at a crossroads and considering a different neighborhood.

While we're at it- I know NYC will always be noisy, but what the least noisy place in Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
lol

Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
Honestly, I'm over it. I lived in the Mexican neighborhoods in LA so I'm no stranger to noise, but it's a whole different monster out here. Loud music will start between 10pm-12am and then finally die down around 6am on the weekends. It's ridiculous. Does wintertime bring any relief from this, or do people just party all year round up here? I'm at a crossroads and considering a different neighborhood.

While we're at it- I know NYC will always be noisy, but what the least noisy place in Manhattan?
LOL. I remember when i lived in Audubon in Washington Heights, it used to be Friday to Saturday. I remember there was a party that started at 8pm Saturday and the music was finally turned off like at 5am Sunday.

Invest in soundproof windows for your bedroom. Avoid areas like East of Washington Heights, and Harlem if you don't like lot music.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Move, not worth it.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
ROFL!!!! Are you kidding me???? These are people with no regard for anyone else, no consideration, nothing. Do you think they care if they blast music all night long? No, it won't die down in the winter. They don't work, they have no reason to turn off their music and go to SLEEP at a decent hour. Nope, they party all freaking night and then sleep all day. Dirtbag scum.

Your best bet is to just move out of there, get into a building on a high floor so you don't have to hear a lot of the noise. Staying in Spanish Harlem will only take a toll on your health and your sanity. What in the HE11 made you move there in the first place??????

Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 PM

I figured it'd be quieter in winter because people would be hanging indoors rather than outside all night... I haven't had a winter here yet, so maybe that's not the case? The sidewalks over the summer nights have been packed with people drinking/playing lottery/blasting music but it seemed logical that it'd be a little more tranquil during the dead of winter. If not, then I'm definitely out.

I moved up here because it was more affordable and as I've stated, I'm no stranger to ethnic neighborhoods. There are a million things I'd rather spend my money on besides rent if I'm able to. There were plenty of parties in the Mexican hoods in LA but a) neighbors seemed to know each other on a first name basis out there (moreso than out here), and therefore were more respectful and usually had the music off by 2am OR worst case scenario, if the cops were called, they actually gave a F and showed up. There are noise ordinances out there that are taken somewhat seriously, but that doesn't seem to be the case in NYC. Everyone complains about noise, but it is pretty low on the priority list as far as enforcement.

Anyway, if I can expect the same raucous parties all winter, then I'll definitely start looking for another place now.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Invest in soundproof windows for your bedroom. Avoid areas like East of Washington Heights, and Harlem if you don't like lot music.
How much would that run?! Soundproof windows sound more expensive than a moving van and a security deposit. And as a renter, I probably couldn't, anyway. So freakin' frustrating, some people are completely oblivious that they aren't the only people on the planet.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
Call 911. Trust me, it'll stop after a couple of repeated calls.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:58 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
There are a million things I'd rather spend my money on besides rent if I'm able to.
Wow. For quality of life, I'd expect the overwhelming majority of people to say something completely opposite of this.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Wow. For quality of life, I'd expect the overwhelming majority of people to say something completely opposite of this.
I think NYC is a special case, which I'm only beginning to fully understand. I thought things would be comparable to LA when I moved out here and BOY, I was wrong. Research will only get you so far, you really don't understand how different NY is until you move here and see for yourself. Quality of life/bang for buck is a better in other states. Less money will get you farther elsewhere. But now I'm beginning to realize that spending more money on rent will make pretty much all the difference in more ways than just where you sleep at night in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City