Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
I think NYC is a special case, which I'm only beginning to fully understand. I thought things would be comparable to LA when I moved out here and BOY, I was wrong. Research will only get you so far, you really don't understand how different NY is until you move here and see for yourself. Quality of life/bang for buck is a better in other states. Less money will get you farther elsewhere. But now I'm beginning to realize that spending more money on rent will make pretty much all the difference in more ways than just where you sleep at night in this city.
How the heck did you think LA and NYC to be "comparable"??

Everybody knows they are polar opposites! Ever see a Woody Allen movie? People who like LA, don't like NYC. People who like NYC, don't like LA. It's been this way for decades.

Did you miss the memo?

The sort of noise you are experiencing is endemic to the sort of neighborhood you live. Other sorts of neighborhoods will have less of that, BUT there will still be noise which you will find annoying. Summer eveywhere brings more noise, but in relation to LA, even Winter will be noisier. It's NYC, 24/7 365, day, night, Summer, Winter, Spring, Fall.

This is why they created 'suburbs'! Compared to NYC, LA is like a giant suburb, so are most American cities.

Lots of Transplants make similar mistakes of perception, imagining NYC to be just a BIGGER version of what they have known and experienced. In the US, NYC and to a large degree Chicago are 'unique'. There are no other similar American cities. Only 2nd and/or 3rd World metropolis' can compare.

You choose to do NYC on the cheap, there is a cost to that. You want better, you are going to have to pay. You pay in cash, and/or you pay in lack of convenience. In Queens and Brooklyn, there are several 'quiet' neighborhoods, but then you have to deal with not being in Manhattan and the commute time. Cheap neighborhoods in Manhattan equal 'ghetto' and the commensurate social ills. Why do you think its cheap?!

One of the things I like about living in Brooklyn, is the 'comedown', the decompression once out of Manhattan. Though, everywhere you go, there are the 'rolling gasoline fueled boom boxes' to contend.

Love it when Transplant fantasies break, and reality seeps in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Shame it would have to come to clogging up an emergency line but if it comes to that tonight, I will. I've had it. My friend also gave me the idea of drafting up "official-looking" management letters and citing a few city laws regarding noise and such, and placing them on the doors of the perps. I might get that started now, actually.
There you go, Transplants trying to change things to suit themselves!!!

Transplant, it is THEIR neighborhood not yours.

You are just a 'user', you want to use their neighborhood to make your life cheap and affordable; then, you want to change the very things which make it cheap and affordable. Those who you complain about aren't complaining, so why must the world change for you?

Can't deal? Then don't deal. Leave.

P.S., comprehend by taking the actions you suggest, YOU then become the nuiscence, making 'noise'. The building, block, irritant!

Be prepared for retaliation of the physical kind.

Again, Can't deal? Then don't deal. Leave.

A native speaks....

Old 10-09-2011, 12:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Are your automatically assuming they dont work because theyre Spanish? She did say they blast it on the WEEKENDS. You do know not everyone works on the weekend right? And please, its a Friday/Saturday night. You can EXPECT to hear music anywhere.
I don't care what they do or when/if they work. NO ONE should be blasting music until 6am. Who do they think they are??? No one else should be able to enjoy their home or be able to rest, relax, or get some sleep because these scvmbags think it's okay to blast music all night????? No, it's not "okay" --- it's rude, inconsiderate, and ghetto.

Yes, you will hear music in most neighborhoods on the weekends. HOWEVER, in neighborhoods where people actually CARE about their neighborhoods and have consideration for their neighbors, you aren't going to hear music blasting like that past 10 or 11 pm.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-09-2011 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I don't care what they do or when/if they work. NO ONE should be blasting music until 6am. Who do they think they are??? No one else should be able to enjoy their home or be able to rest, relax, or get some sleep because these scvmbags think it's okay to blast music all night????? No, it's not "okay" --- it's rude, inconsiderate, and ghetto.

Yes, you will hear music in most neighborhoods on the weekends. HOWEVER, in neighborhoods where people actually CARE about their neighborhoods and have consideration for their neighbors, you aren't going to hear music blasting like that past 10 or 11 pm.
I agree. There is nothing ok about blasting music at all hours of the night. They should know better. But they just don't CARE and that's what's infuriating.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:51 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I agree. There is nothing ok about blasting music at all hours of the night. They should know better. But they just don't CARE and that's what's infuriating.

Exactly.... they don't care and they just think it's okay. WHO thinks like that?? I try to have consideration all the time for my neighbors and would never think about doing anything that might interfere with their lives or their peace. I just can't imagine sitting here blasting music all night and thinking it's okay.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:57 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
An apartment is for sleep, sex, eating, relaxing, and resting (that's what i use it for). It's not meant to be a club or dj booth.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:29 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
...because these scvmbags...

You can write scumbags here. I do it all the time.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:01 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
^^It may have been "very" safe some time ago, but my Mother was assaulted when she lived in Bensonhurst! She was never the same and had to move from the neighborhood. I don't think any neighborhood is "very" safe in the City! :-(
Compared to East Harlem it's heaven.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
This is a funny post.

You sleep with earplugs and you reccommend to come to your neighborhood!!

LOL!

I wear earplugs a lot because I work a lot of night shifts. I don't care what neighborhood you're in, those are handy when you need to be going to sleep at 8 in the morning.

And I never said my neighborhood was quiet (in fact, I explicitly stated the opposite, way to read champ), just that it is likely quieter than his current place.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times
Quote:
Honestly, I'm over it. I lived in the Mexican neighborhoods in LA so I'm no stranger to noise, but it's a whole different monster out here. Loud music will start between 10pm-12am and then finally die down around 6am on the weekends. It's ridiculous. Does wintertime bring any relief from this, or do people just party all year round up here? I'm at a crossroads and considering a different neighborhood.

While we're at it- I know NYC will always be noisy, but what the least noisy place in Manhattan?
Having lived in several types of ghettos in 4/5 boroughs, winter does bring some relief, not many people hang out in the cold so a lot of the drive by car noise goes down. Also the girlies are wearing "a bit" more clothing, so less of the cruising aspects of living in a loud neighborhood - so yes, the colder it is the better it gets, to a point - BUT if you have the unfortunate pleasure of living next to an inconsiderate a-hole who has house parties no season is going to bring relief.

I also advise NOT putting anything on anybody;s door. It will only end in tears...yours.

311 is a joke, so dont bother PLEASE don't call 911 for music.

It sounds like you moved in cause the rent was cheap - good, save up, & move out - you are out numbered. You are fighting against a tidal wave of inconsideration deeper and higher than you could ever fathom.

Sorry you are having a craptastic time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City