U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:45 PM

18,134 posts, read 16,465,816 times

Advertisements

I drink iced tea without sugar all the time, especially when I eat out. I also drink Lipton Cold Brew. Just a few minutes in cold water and you have brewed iced tea.
But the nectar of the Gods is Clover Farms Icy Tea, also called liquid crack. Its funny seeing all the people new to the area( southeast PA) that have become addicted to it.
I've tried what they call sweet tea and its like drinking pancake syrup. You need a strong tea taste balanced by sweetness and lemon. And if its got corn syrup, forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 PM

7,563 posts, read 7,991,406 times
You can get Gold Peak Sweet Tea in most supermarkets. I've been told by southerners it tastes like the real thing and they sell that brand down south too.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:58 PM

7,904 posts, read 6,483,818 times
I make sun tea all summer out on my deck. Occasionally I'll sweeten it with Agave, but very rarely. I use regular tea bags, sometimes flavored, sometimes not. Sweeteners, even real sugar, lead to nothing good in the long run anyway.

And coffee? Black or don't even offer it to me. Why drink coffee if you are going to add outside flavors to it? Try some GOOD coffee sometime and maybe you'll change your mind. And Starbucks IS NOT good coffee.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 AM

30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times
Actually most iced tea sold in NYC is sweetened and is usually too sweet.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,311,795 times
Guess the OP has never heard of STARBUCKS! Where you can get tea in a variety of ways, and there is one on every corner of Manhattan.

Anyway, that 'stuff'called "sweet tea" is just Cane Syrup mixed with a little water. Disgusting in concept and tasete. I ordered one in McDonald's, hoping it to be less sweet than the fountain Lipton they also serve, and I spat it up.

Starbucks' has any kind of tea over ice, with or w/o sugar sweetner. I particularly enjoy black tea with lemonade, NO SUGAR!

Get off the sugar addiction and find out what things really taste like. Same thing with SALT! A little can ehance flavor, but too much, which is the norm, and they both mask and overwhelm the flavor of everything.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:44 AM

20,158 posts, read 26,453,489 times
I agree with anarchism.

You can always add sugar, Equal, Spenda to unsweetened tea but without a STILL you cannnot remove the sugar from presweetened tea.

Like the old joke:
She: "Honey, taste this sauce and tell me what it needs."
He: "A little less salt."

(I make my iced tea with aspartame and lemon, including rinds and pulp...and everyone raves.)

Old 10-10-2011, 06:56 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,509,741 times
We dont need no stinkin sweet tea!!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,509,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Guess the OP has never heard of STARBUCKS! Where you can get tea in a variety of ways, and there is one on every corner of Manhattan.

Anyway, that 'stuff'called "sweet tea" is just Cane Syrup mixed with a little water. Disgusting in concept and tasete. I ordered one in McDonald's, hoping it to be less sweet than the fountain Lipton they also serve, and I spat it up.

Starbucks' has any kind of tea over ice, with or w/o sugar sweetner. I particularly enjoy black tea with lemonade, NO SUGAR!

Get off the sugar addiction and find out what things really taste like. Same thing with SALT! A little can ehance flavor, but too much, which is the norm, and they both mask and overwhelm the flavor of everything.
Doesnt starbucks use Taso tea? You can just buy that yourself...

Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,781,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I make sun tea all summer out on my deck. Occasionally I'll sweeten it with Agave, but very rarely. I use regular tea bags, sometimes flavored, sometimes not. Sweeteners, even real sugar, lead to nothing good in the long run anyway.

And coffee? Black or don't even offer it to me. Why drink coffee if you are going to add outside flavors to it? Try some GOOD coffee sometime and maybe you'll change your mind. And Starbucks IS NOT good coffee.
Yes. This.

Black or green tea sometimes with a squeeze of lemon. Hot or cold.

Black, unsweetened coffee from my favorite Cart Guy (2nd Ave. btwn 43rd & 44th). Cart Guy is so good he sees me crossing the street and he is already pouring that steamy brew exactly how I like it. It stays hot for at least 30 minutes. The cost: $1.50. Top that, Starbucks.

Southerners, when it's time you need the sidewalk slow lane, you might want to rethink that sweet tea, and the fatty bbq, etc. We in NY just don't have time to be fat, life is a short gift. We love you, but seriously.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,258,121 times
I never sweeten tea... Not whether I make it at home or order it somewhere, whether hot or cold. I don't like things too sweet. I ordered iced tea once in the south and it was sweetened, and no offense, I nearly gagged. When I drink coffee it is also black (no sugar, no milk) so to each his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City