U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,000,135 times
Interesting thread..I grew up in Memphis, TN and we drank a lot of sweet tea and lemonade....I stopped drinking these drinks because of the calories and carbs in them. I went home for a wedding last year and tasted what used to be my favorite aunt's lemonade...tasted like diabetes in a cup because I am off of those sugary drinks.

I can drink unsweetened tea with no issue although I do prefer a little sweet and low in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM

469 posts, read 509,188 times
Bren -- you've got to listen to Darius Rucker's song "A Southern State of Mind"!

A really nice bottled tea is Sweet Leaf Tea's mint and honey.
McDonald's sweet tea made me gag.
A former co-worker (and a native of N.C.) once made me homemade sweet tea, mixing up the "simple syrup" -- simple cuz it's just sugar dissolved in water over the stove. Delish. But I was bouncing off the ceiling the whole day.
Nowadays my teas-of-choice are sun-tea or refrigerator tea made with regular Luzianne teabags (and a bit of Equal) and Celestial Seasonings' Red Zinger (nothing added to that).

Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,910,611 times
What shocked me was when I went out to Texas(San Antonio) and they didn't have sweet tea.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,852,348 times
You can keep that liquid diabetes. I'll take my tea with one simple packet of sugar.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 PM

7 posts, read 7,123 times
So I see a complete disregard for sweet tea. I am,an athletic person I love it I cannot drink tea without sugar. Golden peak is close but its not like good southern sweet tea like from South Carolona or Georgia.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 AM

11,068 posts, read 10,407,937 times
What is STARBUCKS?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 AM

40,060 posts, read 19,430,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenandeMossita View Post
I was in New York City for two weeks and no one had sweet tea. Now I know why New Yorkers have an abrasive attitude.You aint had life til you had sweet tea.
So you judged the entire city on sweet tea. If anyone here made a similar judgement about your hometown, you'd be offended, wouldn't you?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 AM

9 posts, read 9,212 times
MD'D tea is very sweet like your teeth are going to fall out after the second mouthful.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 PM

8,864 posts, read 15,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpan View Post
MD'D tea is very sweet like your teeth are going to fall out after the second mouthful.
Yeah, McDonalds tea is sickening sweet, even by Southern standards, it tastes NOTHING like real homemade sweet tea.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:03 PM

3,491 posts, read 2,936,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenandeMossita View Post
So I see a complete disregard for sweet tea. I am,an athletic person I love it I cannot drink tea without sugar. Golden peak is close but its not like good southern sweet tea like from South Carolona or Georgia.

When I am down south, I drink it there. I have never seen it served in restaurants in NY (McDonald's doesn't count). I know they sell the Sweet Leaf brand down south, but haven't seen it here yet. The only bottled sweet tea brand that I have seen and it is readily available is Gold Peak. Not as good as the homemade stuff, but it's close. It's not that hard to make your own. It's not so bad to have it as a treat once in a while. There's plenty of unhealthy New York food too. Moderation is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City