U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 13,106 times

Advertisements

I was in New York City for two weeks and no one had sweet tea. Now I know why New Yorkers have an abrasive attitude.You aint had life til you had sweet tea.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 02:27 PM

10 posts, read 54,945 times
Sweet tea is very much a Southern drink. It's not popular outside the southeastern US, and, therefore, not sold. It's the same thing with grits, and fried green tomatoes, and a whole slew of other Southern foods.

Having grown up in the South, I miss Southern food. But I haven't lived there for many, many years, and I've gotten used to having to ask my mom to send me a box full of good old Southern classics (or the fixings for them). But you shouldn't insult the people of your host city, even if you don't like them very much. You live there just the same as they do. And I'm sure you can brew some of your own, if you can't find any.

Last edited by heyjudecharlotte; 10-09-2011 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 02:39 PM

79 posts, read 321,660 times
Depending on the deli you go to, some have an Arizona Sweet Tea. Mcdonalds and a few other resturants might have a sweet tea

Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,945,094 times
It is really weird to me also that so many folks here like iced tea without sugar. Yeeccchhhh! When I'm visiting relatives down south nobody would even THINK of offering unsweetened iced tea in a restaurant or to a guest. Sweet iced tea is, as they say, the house wine of the South. And the nice thing is that in most Southern restaurant's I've been to, there are always free refills. I think Mickey D's offers it in a lot of places because so many of thier customers are black people with roots in the South and are, as such, familiar with how iced tea is supposed to be made. There are various bottled and canned sweet teas, but I will only drink these if they are made with real sugar, not high fructose corn syrup. That stuff gives a very different taste. I often get gallons of Tradewinds or Duane Reade iced tea 'cause they have real sugar in them.

And I hate going into restaurants where they give you packets of sugar which, of course, don't dissolve easily in cold drinks. So you're left with the worst of both worlds. Plenty of real sugar. But your iced teas is effectively unsweetened anyway.

Last edited by citylove101; 10-09-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,142,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenandeMossita View Post
I was in New York City for two weeks and no one had sweet tea. Now I know why New Yorkers have an abrasive attitude.You aint had life til you had sweet tea.

We are having a tough time finding sugar free Snapple in NC all they sell is that sickening sweet tea.
Take a look at the folks in NC most could do without so much sugar.
Just sayin

Old 10-09-2011, 04:29 PM

292 posts, read 459,467 times
I am one of the people who prefers their tea unsweetened with lemon. I spend summers in North Carolina and just about died when they accidently gave me sweet tea. I find they offer both versions now in restaurants, which wasn't the case 10 years or so ago. So you see, we all have our preferences and neither is right or wrong.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,945,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
I am one of the people who prefers their tea unsweetened with lemon. I spend summers in North Carolina and just about died when they accidently gave me sweet tea. I find they offer both versions now in restaurants, which wasn't the case 10 years or so ago. So you see, we all have our preferences and neither is right or wrong.
Yeah. But one sure is tastier!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,780,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We are having a tough time finding sugar free Snapple in NC all they sell is that sickening sweet tea.
Take a look at the folks in NC most could do without so much sugar.
Just sayin
The fattest states in the nation are in the South.

Not to mention, how can that be good for your teeth?

Fat and sugar in everything are not your friends. Thank you, New York, for your briny, bitter, fast and funny drinks, eats, and personality!

(Just sayin it a little louder)

Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 PM

13,494 posts, read 29,444,231 times
Try Bubba Gumps in Times Sq, I ate there the last time I was up there and I remember them have Southern type food. Don't remember about the sweet tea, but surely they would have it.

I live in Alabama and restaurants here have always had both sweet and unsweet tea (for the diabetics), I usually ask them to mix the two together since I like mine just a little sweet, but not sickening sweet.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,169,299 times
BrenandeMossita wrote: "...I was in New York City for two weeks and no one had sweet tea. Now I know why New Yorkers have an abrasive attitude.You aint had life til you had sweet tea."

I used to get sweet tea at SUBWAY restaurant in L.I. New York almost every day for lunch. I think McD commonly carries it, also. I've never really felt sweet tea deprived in NY. Maybe it was a "southern thing" .... like what..... twenty or thirty years ago.... but it's standard enough fare nowadays. Or at least by my observation.

And when a place doesn't have it "freshly brewed," you can just buy it in a bottle everywhere.

The things you will see a lot less of in NY that is a lot more common down south, is the free refill concepts. Some restaurants do it, but it's not nearly as common as down south. They count every damn penny in New York. Heaven forbid they lose 15 cents in profit. In NY they do free refills, but they [waiters and waitresses] go out of their way to somehow never be around when you want the refills, or otherwise they don't go out of their way to "offer" it... you have to ask. Down south, they will often "offer" the refill.... multiple times, even.... They'll even sometimes offer the drink refill right as you are about to leave, bringing you a to-go cup. Damned if they'd ever do that crap in NY.

Along similar lines, another thing you will rarely see in NY is free refills on certain foods. Many places down south, they will refill your plate and cup right before you leave, and then be kind of enough to give you a "to go/take-out" box so that you can walk out of the restaurant will a full cup to drink later, etc...

Citylove101 wrote: "... It is really weird to me also that so many folks here like iced tea without sugar. Yeeccchhhh!"

I speculate that the majority of people who order unsweeted tea are not ordering it because they want it unsweetened. They order it because they want to add in artificial sweetener. Lots of people who are on diets or who have diabetes do this. Or they do it so they can add the [real] sugar to their own preferred taste.

Unsweeted tea is pretty blechhh, though. Don't know how people do it.... or unsweetened coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City