Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times

Advertisements

UES and Union Square are pretty affluent areas. If you want to see the disparity in Manhattan between the rich and poor you will have to walk through some parts of Harlem, Washington Heights, Chinatown and then walk through UES, UWS, Union Sq, Soho, and Battery Park.

Since the beginning of time, there has been a social caste systems and it still exists today.

There are four main layers:
Rich Elite - these are the people who run the world. The major CEOs, political leaders, royalty, etc. You also read little about these people.
Upper class - these are the people who have somewhat of a say in what goes on in the world. CEOs, bankers, celebrities, politicians, etc.
Middle class - these are the people who run the businesses.
Lower class - these are the people who work at the businesses.

Just remember that life is just a ride! Enjoy it will it last and don't get caught up in the rat race of life. Don't keep up with the joneses! I bought a world map and i placed it on a wall to remind myself how little NYC is and how much there is to see of the planet. My goal is see the major cities of each continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
You ain't in Kansas anymore.
You HADDA know that.
Sorry you had a bad experience in the city, but what did you expect?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM

801 posts, read 1,104,939 times
This the part that shows who is real American . I still wonder where is the so called land of the freedom and home of the brave. Cuz a real nation stands together , suffer together, helps one to each other, with out pushing no one out of their lifes. This OP might see somebody walking down the street on winter time, and would never extend his humanity to help that person, instead he will criticizes that person. Rich n poor. The rich people lives cuz poor people allows it!!. Somebody poor might see you walking on the street on winter time with out a coat, but the poor has only 2 coats one is his favorite and the other one might be dirty or broken. Trust an believe he will serve you the best one and give it to you. Learn how to live in peace and accept withe madurity all those things that you can't never change. Be grateful at least you have life in this world.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
^^ word to your mutha!^^

Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
^^ word to your mutha!^^

^^You're dating yourself, SL! ahahaha

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I've grown up and lived in NYC (Brooklyn to be exact) virtually my entire life.
I was never as enthusiastic about the city (Manhattan) as others. There are months at a time when I don't even step foot there even though it's a fairly quick ride in. Most of the times I do go it's to hand out with freinds and go out.
One could go on about your Brooklyn type, usually lacking in imagination, ambition, and sense of adventure, and suffering from a social/class insecurity, if not just plain insularity, but why bother....

Quote:
It's not as if Brooklyn is a small city and it has its share of poor and wealthy but it seems more harmonious.
Harmonious? Brooklyn?

Either you need to get out more, or perhaps just leave your neighborhood once or twice per week.

Detached? You don't see that in Brooklyn?

On one end you got ex-Soviet Jews having created a Russian sub-world separate and apart from all Brooklyn. Same to be said of the Hasidim. Could any Brooklynite be father apart while living next door to each other than the Hasidic and blacks of Crown Heights?

You've got the leftover white ethnics hanging on in outlying neighborhoods, looking at Carnarsie and praying on their knees, 'please not us next', as well as the insular residents of Bergen Beach and elsewhere, who are about as detached from Black and Gentrified Brooklyn as can be.

Need I go on, about, American blacks vs West Indian blacks, or Hatians or Africans? White gentrifiers, minority residents and displacement. Transplants vs Natives.

Dude, take off the rose colored glasses.

If anything, what is disgusting is the extending swath of gentrified wasteland which is becoming the UES. After 5pm, Lexington is just one big flip-flopping horror show of homogenuity.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
I'm surprised it took you this long to notice the imbalance of this city and how many blatantly overlook this. I'll never forget an experience I had when we initially moved to the city many years ago. I was dumbfound and "frozen" in place when I saw the first homeless person in my life (may have been a drug addict too) laying on the side walk. People hustling about and business as usual.......very sad, but something that is very common here.
So, I'm guessing that you take every homeless person you see on the street into your home and help them out?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
This the part that shows who is real American . I still wonder where is the so called land of the freedom and home of the brave. Cuz a real nation stands together , suffer together, helps one to each other, with out pushing no one out of their lifes. This OP might see somebody walking down the street on winter time, and would never extend his humanity to help that person, instead he will criticizes that person. Rich n poor. The rich people lives cuz poor people allows it!!. Somebody poor might see you walking on the street on winter time with out a coat, but the poor has only 2 coats one is his favorite and the other one might be dirty or broken. Trust an believe he will serve you the best one and give it to you. Learn how to live in peace and accept withe madurity all those things that you can't never change. Be grateful at least you have life in this world.
Somebody please drop a building on hotblue, perhaps then he will wake up from his never existed utopian fantasy.

Real American? LMAO!

By your definition, there never has been a 'real' American. You people who look to impose your fantasies upon reality just kill me. Waaakkee UP!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
But you have to admit, hotblue has some of the funniest posts you've ever read on ANY forum about ANYTHING, no? I love this last one about poor people allowing the rich to live, thats a classic for sure!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
So, I'm guessing that you take every homeless person you see on the street into your home and help them out?
Where from my post did you ASSume this? I'm guessing you are just being SARCASTIC to the umpteenth power.

If you don't know how to have a civil dialogue without being condescending, then you ought to learn. It is people like you that give NYC a bad "name".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City