U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM

7 posts, read 7,514 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

My family will be moving due to a new job in the world financial center. Family consists of Me, wife, 1.5 year old, a newborn on the way, and grandpa.

Can anyone give me some advice on what areas we can consider to move where the commute time will be within an hour (most important criteria)?

Ideally I would be looking to purchase a townhome or home (least 3bed/2bath) within $300k. Not sure how realistic that is. I could rent I suppose, but not a big fan of renting.

I'm originally from Chicago suburbs so I assume things might run differently in the NYC surrounding areas.

Other things that would be nice are good schools, parks, etc.

Thanks in advance for any valuable advice.

Regards from the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomate View Post
Hey All,

My family will be moving due to a new job in the world financial center. Family consists of Me, wife, 1.5 year old, a newborn on the way, and grandpa.

Can anyone give me some advice on what areas we can consider to move where the commute time will be within an hour (most important criteria)?

Ideally I would be looking to purchase a townhome or home (least 3bed/2bath) within $300k. Not sure how realistic that is. I could rent I suppose, but not a big fan of renting.

I'm originally from Chicago suburbs so I assume things might run differently in the NYC surrounding areas.

Other things that would be nice are good schools, parks, etc.

Thanks in advance for any valuable advice.

Regards from the midwest.
I wish you well but with that budget I'm not optimistic you can find what you desire and keep your commute under an hour.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,281,941 times
lol at a home for 300k.

Even in Brooklyn or Queens (well within an hour's commute), you will not find a low end home cheaper than 450 in a decent neighborhood.

You can find a 2-3 bedroom apt in good neighborhoods for 1300-1600/month though.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM

what would be some areas to at least check out?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 PM

"1300-1600/month" - is that rent or mortgage?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
"1300-1600/month" - is that rent or mortgage?
Rent.

Housing costs are seriously out of whack here. Thank our city government for subsidizing the poor and in turn keeping the population much higher than it otherwise would be.

All the landlords crying about the rent stabilization don't realize that without it the city's population would take a huge hit and so would the rental/home prices (not necessarily a bad thing).

A bit off topic but welcome to NYC.lol

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM

wow...ok...so how about any surrounding suburbs? NJ a realistic option?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Well, the areas within the hour commute would run you similar in terms of rent/home prices.

There's really no way of getting around housing prices here. The only feasible way is to downgrade in size/location.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:42 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Staten Island has some good neighborhoods with tonwhouses for slightly more than what you are looking to spend, but they will be small, possibly too small for the size of your family. You could probably find something within that range in parts of NJ, but you'll likely have to expand on your 1hr commute time. If you are not against living in/near Newark, you have a decent shot of staying in that range.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 PM

9,313 posts, read 13,844,848 times
Quote:
Maybe Harrison, NJ. Anywhere else I can think of is either more expensive than you want, a very bad area (e.g. Newark), or a much longer commute. You might try in the NJ forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City