U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM

141 posts, read 299,873 times

Advertisements

I think the term refers to life happening at all hours all over the place, not just the visible stuff. Even Manhattan (a social aberration compared to the rest) can be sparse of people in the wee hours, but life happens indoors too. You can sometimes tell night workers on their way home in the morning. And the all night party crowd. I'm sure some of those are headed directly to work too. It's likely that you'll be correcting their mistakes as the work day goes on. For some folks Wednesday & Thursday are actually Saturday & Sunday. This small army holds down the work fort on weekends while others visit some of them at their jobs. Some people who get blitzed from Saturday night into Sunday morning need to be thankful some other people work weekends...at night...late...making there life delightful...tip them well. The city itself truly never sleeps. Monday night's not so hot most places, but check out the same location on Thursday night and you can see the weekend coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,993,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think the phrase "city that never sleeps" goes beyond simply describing what there is to do for fun. I think the phrase refers more to the fact that you have literally every service available to you, 24 hours a day. Even around my way I can go to the store at 3 or 4 AM and get something, it doesn't close. Trains work 24 hrs a day. I can call a cab anytime. Obviously the hospital, which is 3 blocks away from my house. Got a 24 hour pharmacy (Duane Reade), which is a 10 minute drive from my house. And that's only a few things, but I live in the outskirts of Queens.
I'll echo this.

If you need soap at like 2am or anytime that's not considered standard time, there's always somewhere (whether it's a CVS, a Bodega, etc.) you can get it. Transportation is 24/7 though a little slower after peak hours. But even after it's peak hours it's above and beyond any other system in the US.

I think our street lights also attributes to the phrase.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,584,658 times
I think that phrase became popular back before even the most podunk small towns had 24 hour CVS/Walgreens, Wal Marts, and grocery stores. Now, by some definitions, even those places can now be considered cities/towns that never sleep.

That being said, New York does have much more going on at say 3am on a Wednesday morning than other cities. Times Square is never empty. The subway never shuts down. You can get any type of food at any type of day. Miami Beach and Las Vegas may be the only other places I've been that have anywhere near as much activity in the wee hours. I will say I was disappointed to find out that the ESB, Chrysler Bldg, and Rockafeller Center turn off their lights sometime around or after midnight. I actually felt a bit melancholy when I first figured that out. I imagine it would be how I'd feel if I found out Santa Claus isn't real.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,628,597 times
No Because its the City that always Crys about Noise

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,912,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Of New York View Post
I think the term refers to life happening at all hours all over the place, not just the visible stuff. Even Manhattan (a social aberration compared to the rest) can be sparse of people in the wee hours, but life happens indoors too. You can sometimes tell night workers on their way home in the morning. And the all night party crowd. I'm sure some of those are headed directly to work too. It's likely that you'll be correcting their mistakes as the work day goes on. For some folks Wednesday & Thursday are actually Saturday & Sunday. This small army holds down the work fort on weekends while others visit some of them at their jobs. Some people who get blitzed from Saturday night into Sunday morning need to be thankful some other people work weekends...at night...late...making there life delightful...tip them well. The city itself truly never sleeps. Monday night's not so hot most places, but check out the same location on Thursday night and you can see the weekend coming.
The true be told allmost all the people i know up there are night worker's with the middle of the week off and it normal for us togerther on a wed's night and go and do something .

Most of the time my girlfriend has her own life and i have mine and we see each other when we can .My weekend is the only time i do spend time with her at her place and the other time she at my place for the night

Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,626,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
There is still stuff going on after 1 a.m. you're probably just not around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
The line refers to the fact that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, there is always something happening, always something going on, always something to do, and a lot of stores and restaurants are open, in New York City, so, therefore, it's "the city that never sleeps".

You may have not been where things were "happening", but rest assure they do exist! Dawn is the most peaceful time in the City.

Theme from New York, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2x.

There is a lot to do late at night. Nightlife is always going thanks to tourist, the wealthy, and lots of normal people having weekdays off. With that comes the food establishments and even shopping nowadays. Not to mention a lot of New Yorkers lounge around outside in the residential areas. Stoops, parks, bodegas, pool halls, lounges, ect.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,248,493 times
If you're looking for late night bars and clubs, they are out there. You just have to know where they are. I don't know what someone is looking for at 4am though. Bowling? Mini-golf? Movies? You might find all night bowling though. If you want to eat and drink, NYC is the place 24/7.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM

490 posts, read 606,230 times
Considering all the people that I read about getting shot at 4:30 in the morning, this must be a 24 hour city.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 821,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think the phrase "city that never sleeps" goes beyond simply describing what there is to do for fun. I think the phrase refers more to the fact that you have literally every service available to you, 24 hours a day. Even around my way I can go to the store at 3 or 4 AM and get something, it doesn't close. Trains work 24 hrs a day. I can call a cab anytime. Obviously the hospital, which is 3 blocks away from my house. Got a 24 hour pharmacy (Duane Reade), which is a 10 minute drive from my house. And that's only a few things, but I live in the outskirts of Queens.

I live on Staten Island and have several 24 hour bodegas within a few blocks of me and a 24 hour supermarket (Pathmark) and 24 hour pharmacies about a 5-10 minute drive away. I always took it all for granted. I can't imagine people DON'T have those things to turn to at 3am. =/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or