U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 PM

232 posts, read 417,988 times

Advertisements

I've recently moved to LI. I go into the city about twice a week. I've been noticing that by 1 am the city is shut down. Not much is open (other than the tourist trap of Times Square). I feel like Vegas is more of the city that never sleeps. Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM

9,310 posts, read 13,839,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
I've recently moved to LI. I go into the city about twice a week. I've been noticing that by 1 am the city is shut down. Not much is open (other than the tourist trap of Times Square). I feel like Vegas is more of the city that never sleeps. Agree or disagree?
Vegas doesn't sleep, but it does get a room and lie on its back.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 PM

2,015 posts, read 2,885,254 times
There is still stuff going on after 1 a.m. you're probably just not around it.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,489,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
vegas doesn't sleep, but it does get a room and lie on its back.
dead! :d

Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 AM

30,312 posts, read 31,181,855 times
It really depends on what part of the city you are in. The subway runs 24/7 and there are diners that are open 24/7 as well as some food stores.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,983,184 times
If you are not a gambler or into stage shows by has-been performers ... What is there to do in Vegas?

Just a question from a person that has no real interest in going there, other than maybe get a picture next to the Bellagio Fountains.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:17 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Quote:
The city that never sleeps, depends on how you view that. Literally its kinda true, how can anyone sleep with all the noise! Everybody has a complaint about something or somebody that woke them up and/or kept them up all night. From the crying baby next door, the late partying neighbors, the rowdy people outside, boom box cars, bars, mortocycles, garbage trucks, ambulances, fire trucks, police cars, helicopters, the list goes on and on....

Perhaps that is really what the saying reflects.

That said, it really depends on who you are. Sounds like you are a fairly 'straight' person, for you and yours, there is one city which as you have found is relatively tame and shuts down in time for you to get home and go to work in the morning.

But there are other versions of this city which are less straight, one version which is outright crooked, and others which fill all the shades of gray and black. This is the city which never sleeps, and is little known to the 'straight' world.

A simple example, most 'clubs' don't close until 4am, when they legally must (at least stop serving alcohol). Then there are the 'after hour' clubs, which go on and on (illegally of course). It seems you haven't a clue as 'your' NYC stops at 1am.

That's not to mention the straight working world that operates outside the 9 to 5 norm. Beginning at 4pm there are a host of evening shift workers, and another host starting at 12am, toiling away at business offices which never close, diners, restaurants, doormen, show people and entertainers, a whole world of night people that doesn't exist anywhere in America save Las Vegas, and that isn't the same.

I will say that life in NYC has gotten rather bland over the last 10 to 15 years with the Disneyfication of Times Square and the onslaught of the Transplants with their blandness, senseless sense of entitlement, and over-desire for 'safety', as well as, their disproportionate numbers of metrosexualized males. BOO!

Please, is it safe?! Is it safe to be out? Is it safe after dark?! Is this neighborhood safe? Is that block safe? Is the roof safe? Is the basement safe? Is the subway safe? Am I safe!?

These people are afraid of everything, they don't feel entitled NOT to.

Much of what used to be a 24/7 city came with a bit of genuine danger requiring street smarts to negotiate. Something present day Transplants fully lack and the sight of 'Disco Sally' would make them pee in their pants!

So what would they do, and where would they go? Outside of going to LOCAL bars, getting ****faced, throwing up, and passing out. Precisely what they did before they came to the big city. Nothing, just more of it.

The real crux of it all, I think, is that never in the modern history of NYC has there existed such a large group of people who are so 'homogenuous' in mind and body. Never a group so large, that are about the same exact thing, with no diversity. (My gosh, when did it become a law for everybody to where flip flops?!)

Give these people a choice, and all one million of them would live in the same apartment, in the same building, with the same amenities, in the same neighborhood, and go to the same bar and club, and do precisely the SAME thing!

It is so ironic, as they came to NYC for its 'di-ver-si-ty, to escape the blandness of their lives, yet it turns out they brought it all with them, and are gradually layering it across the city, disappearing and gentrifying everything that has made New York New York!

So, if this city appears to 'sleep', its only because, a million Transplants are lying shtfaced in a pile of vomit sleeping off a drunk and living life like a lost 'Friends' episode which never aired!

Nobody told them that they needed to be different, that diversity comes from diverse thought from within themselves. That they need to stop the group-think and the group-action, have independant minds and be individuals!

Until that happens, this city will get sleepier and sleepier....until the last person turns out the lights.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 AM

614 posts, read 1,403,827 times
Quote:

The line refers to the fact that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, there is always something happening, always something going on, always something to do, and a lot of stores and restaurants are open, in New York City, so, therefore, it's "the city that never sleeps".

You may have not been where things were "happening", but rest assure they do exist! Dawn is the most peaceful time in the City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_f...York,_New_York

Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM

19,073 posts, read 32,655,211 times
I think the phrase "city that never sleeps" goes beyond simply describing what there is to do for fun. I think the phrase refers more to the fact that you have literally every service available to you, 24 hours a day. Even around my way I can go to the store at 3 or 4 AM and get something, it doesn't close. Trains work 24 hrs a day. I can call a cab anytime. Obviously the hospital, which is 3 blocks away from my house. Got a 24 hour pharmacy (Duane Reade), which is a 10 minute drive from my house. And that's only a few things, but I live in the outskirts of Queens.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-10-2011, 04:29 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,488,867 times
If you have the $$$ then the city will never sleep for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or