U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 17,368 times

Advertisements

jcoltrane, I will correct you because your assumptions are almost ENTIRELY wrong. I appreciate your response, but you have no idea about my financial situation or why I am looking for a place to live. All you know is that I am looking for a place to live, the area I am looking in, and what I hope to spend. FYI, I do know what private schools cost... both my husband and I attended private school and my child does now. I'm not being aggressive, just saying... you know what they say about those who make assumptions.....

@bmwguydc I looked further into the riverdale/yonkers areas and that situation may work. I think I'm going to have to sacrifice the short commute for a more family-oriented neighborhood. Any neighborhoods in those specific areas I should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 3,515,496 times
To OP, my parents really worked hard to send my sister and I to private school (middle school) in NYC...and we lived in basement to save money to pay for private school. All that but the town I lived in and town private school was in still sucked...Then when I was nearing high school age, we moved out to Long Island and instead of spending the money on private education, we spent it on higher rent.

In return, we as family got better environment, more space, and in my opinion received better education than what I was getting at private school. But my parents did commute 2.5 hours every day to work and good chunk of money saved from not attending private school did go to commuting cost.

Overall, do what you think is best and please do consider alternatives options such as staying put or moving out to more suburban town with good public schools.

Just saying 1400-1700 for say min. of 2 bedroom usually doesn't land in ideal locations in NYC unless we're talking further out in Queens and longer commute.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,330,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnis View Post
Thanks for the responses. bmwguydc - I checked out riverdale and had no idea that it is basically Yonkers (Grandmother used to live there and I've spent plenty of weekends and holidays there). It just seems so far from the city. I would like to keep the commute between 30 - 45 min if possible, in case of an emergency and I have to get home to my little one. Are there no places closer that would fit the bill?
Metro-North service isn't that frequent in the area, as Riverdale is a local station. I believe it's something like every 30 minutes during rush hour, and every 60 minutes off-peak. However, once you're on it, it's 25 minutes to Grand Central, so the commute is fairly tolerable.

The same thing applies for Eastern Queens.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 PM

10,761 posts, read 25,616,230 times
I would not really avoid anywhere in Riverdale from a safety or neighborhood standpoint, but nearer Manhattan College can be more of a party environment with students renting apartments and such. Also, close to the Yonkers border, you are away from transportation. The Riverdale station is West of the Parkway in the estate area, on the river, so it's a bit more remote when compared with Spuyten Duyvil that has more apartment buildings in close proximity. Riverdale Avenue from 231st to the monument is also a good location. Even the main streets in Riverdale quiet down in the evening, as the neighborhood is very family-oriented.

Buildings are generally well-maintained, and even the smaller multi-family structures are well-kept. Part of this is due to very active neighborhood associations and residents that demand results when calling 311. It's not unlike the UES in that regard, where neighborhood complaints/issues are generally not ignored if there is a problem that must be solved. Parking is also much easier if you plan to keep a car in the neighborhood, and some street parking is limited around denser areas such as Johnson Avenue & W230s, but generally you can find street parking that is within reasonable distance.

The other thing to be aware of is neighborhood border changing by people who try to claim that Kingsbridge is Riverdale. It's adjacent, and is a decent middle-class neighborhood, but the schools are not as good, which is a key difference. For the extra few minutes each commute, I think that Riverdale would be worth investigating.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,337,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnis View Post
jcoltrane, I will correct you because your assumptions are almost ENTIRELY wrong. I appreciate your response, but you have no idea about my financial situation or why I am looking for a place to live. All you know is that I am looking for a place to live, the area I am looking in, and what I hope to spend. FYI, I do know what private schools cost... both my husband and I attended private school and my child does now. I'm not being aggressive, just saying... you know what they say about those who make assumptions.....
My 'assumptions' come precisely from the information you give, in addition to average common sense. For example, most people in $1700 apartments do NOT spend $50K or more per year to school their children. Moreover, in NYC, you'll be vetted before being accepted to a school, where you live is a part of the criteria.

I do hope you are not making presumptions based on non-NYC private school experiences. As with everything in NYC, its a whole nother scope of experience.

In addition, you mentioned public school in conjunction with Harlem, Washington Heights, etc. Sorry, if you didn't care for the forcefulness of my response, but its nothing compared to what your kid will face in those schools.

In any event, correct me if I am wrong, but let me be blunt, you asked if 'such' exist in NYC, NO! Not with all your criteria.

Think about it. If it did, then everybody would want it, and the demand w/b so great the cost would rise astronomically. Which is why you are looking at Harlem and Washington Heights, rather than say Broadway and 72nd, just for example.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 46,420 times
My advice is STAY OUTTA NYC Public schools will ruin yours kids lives. It's filled up with gangs, drugs, sex at 12 years old, passing out condoms, they don't teach anything, it's a disgusting mess. You wanna mess up your kids life send them to a public school.
The other thing - Harlem is rapidly becoming white because the white people with money are moving in and expanding -the blacks are moving to the suburbs and outta the ghetto. The ghetto is becoming white and suburbanized. It's so weird man. Doesnt mean the schools are good though.
You gotta know the history of these places before you move in - these are low class poor areas traditionally and the people born and raised their resent the new money coming in, and sometimes they get robbed and attacked, taunted, etc. So you wanna be a fool, move to harlem or washington heights. The heights up on the hill has some money it it, but a small, small pocket up by fort tryon is white money. The rest they got dominican 12 year old kids shooting each other in the hallways of building in broad daylight on camera.happens like every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City