U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
Reputation: 3503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
Your Russian and you like hip hop clubs?????

How did that happen?
He grew up in NYC, that's how.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach County
614 posts, read 1,403,827 times
Reputation: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
Your Russian and you like hip hop clubs?????

How did that happen?

^^lol! Embraces different types of music? I'm a Nu Yawker and like SOME country...... and many others.



OP: Maybe you ought to consider looking into a Realtor. They may be able to share some add'l information on what you are looking for (condo) and guide you in the right direction.

I will say; buying property in NYC is $$$$ if you want a decent neighborhood accessible to certain amenities.

Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM
 
30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Reputation: 13995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
Bukharian's speak Russian but they arent Russian! They are from Uzbeckistan, and are more Mongol than Russian!
This is a very good way to put it. There are many Russian speakers in Rego Park and Forest Hills but not most of them are not Russian.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 4,688,957 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
He grew up in NYC, that's how.
I actually grew up in Moscow, Russia and lived last 10 yrs in Portland, OR. I just moved to this area. Hip Hop's worldwide.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 AM
 
153 posts, read 377,927 times
Reputation: 118
Did u like living in Portland? I have a friend who moved to Beaverton in Portland because of a job at Nike. She hates it there because of the rain. I went to visit her last summer and loved it. Did u like Portland?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 AM
 
Location: NY,NY
2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I thought Forest Hills and Rego Park were about 75% Russian. Ok, I am exaggerating, but I know there are a fair number of Russian speakers there because I run into many every time I am over there.

One way to find out how many Russians are in a given area is to see where the businesses are that cater to them.

Russian Rego Park Queens
You need to distinguish between Russians from Russia (the nation), and those from the other ex-Soviet countries.

In Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, mostly Jews from the Ukraine, many from Odessa, as well as Russians from Russia.

In Forest Hills, there is a large community of older European Jews that are dying out, and replacing them is a strong contigent of eastern Soviet Jews, I believe are from Kazakhstan and therebouts.

There are about 14 ex-Soviet states. Russia is the cultural heart of the Soviet Union, contains the Soviet capital, Moscow, and is the state which conqured them all to create the Russian empire and later the Soviet Union. Russia is relatively small state in the East bordering Europe, but since the breakup of the Union is the largest state stretching from the Euro border to the Japanese Sea.

Many of the ex-Soviets speak Russian as it was the dominant language of the Soviet Union.

There is also an upwardly mobile contingent on Staten Island, most of whom originated in Brighton Beach.

The reality show, Russian Dolls, attempts to portray Brighton Beach Russians. The Forest Hills Russians are a bit different. The basic difference from an American pov is that the Brooklyn group are more Western European/Russian while the Queens group is more Eastern European/Middle Eastern Soviet. A serious distinction.

My personal experience is that Eastern Soviet Jews are a little less in touch with their religion and Jewishness than the Western Soviet Jews. Though they all seem a bit detached to their religion, particularly when compared to average American Jews.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 AM
 
Location: The United States of Amnesia
1,362 posts, read 1,488,867 times
Reputation: 686
Go rent Coming to America starring Eddie Murphy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 AM
 
2,665 posts, read 4,688,957 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
Did u like living in Portland? I have a friend who moved to Beaverton in Portland because of a job at Nike. She hates it there because of the rain. I went to visit her last summer and loved it. Did u like Portland?
I actually lived in Beaverton, about 5 min drive from NIKE, drove by it all the time. I did not like there, and that is why I moved here. To put it into perspective how much I didn't like it-I basically sacrificed good, easy money there and moved here without even finding a job. I did transfer to a college here but still, most people move when they see some kinda income on the horizon. Rain is also an issue, but for me and most of the others that I knew, not even the rain, but something about the weather there that just gave me regular headaches. I heard it is because there are many climate zones colliding in one place and there is some kinda atmosphere pressure in that region that affects you. That's prolly why everyone smokes hella weed there, frees yo head up
In any case, this is just my opinion and I am not saying it is horrible over there, it is just not for me, but everyone is different. Basically, Portland is for people who like nature, and a lot of it, mountains, waterfalls, skiing, hiking, whatever you want, pretty quiet pace of life for a city of its size and the most strip clubs in America, per capita. I mean all of that you can find in NJ and NY too if you go outside the cities, but it is way more expensive here to do all that. There is really nothing else to do in Portland though. Nightlife is wack. One should prolly love it if one is a hippy, a hipster, starbucks worshiping, super liberal, gay (the mayor's openly gay, doesn't get gayer than that) and unconventional, which is a very interesting contrast, considering if you go 10 miles out from Portland, or 5 miles out from Beaverton, you see them good ol' boys with redneck dirt pickups rocking confederate flags, and it gets real racist, even for white, but foreign people such as myself, they don't like it so overall if you are like me and more Euro, civilization oriented, it is all wack. Even if you are just a family, all-american type of person looking for a decent spot, there is plenty of quieter, way cheaper places to live at. Unemployment, economy and crime is a problem there too, more than in other places. There is a lot of gang bangers that came from LA, and you see them act up in Portland and in suburbs on the regular. Portland is also an epicenter of meth and child prostitution. Other than that, it is a lovely place lol

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 10-12-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
 
2,665 posts, read 4,688,957 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You need to distinguish between Russians from Russia (the nation), and those from the other ex-Soviet countries.

In Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, mostly Jews from the Ukraine, many from Odessa, as well as Russians from Russia.

In Forest Hills, there is a large community of older European Jews that are dying out, and replacing them is a strong contigent of eastern Soviet Jews, I believe are from Kazakhstan and therebouts.

There are about 14 ex-Soviet states. Russia is the cultural heart of the Soviet Union, contains the Soviet capital, Moscow, and is the state which conqured them all to create the Russian empire and later the Soviet Union. Russia is relatively small state in the East bordering Europe, but since the breakup of the Union is the largest state stretching from the Euro border to the Japanese Sea.

Many of the ex-Soviets speak Russian as it was the dominant language of the Soviet Union.

There is also an upwardly mobile contingent on Staten Island, most of whom originated in Brighton Beach.

The reality show, Russian Dolls, attempts to portray Brighton Beach Russians. The Forest Hills Russians are a bit different. The basic difference from an American pov is that the Brooklyn group are more Western European/Russian while the Queens group is more Eastern European/Middle Eastern Soviet. A serious distinction.

My personal experience is that Eastern Soviet Jews are a little less in touch with their religion and Jewishness than the Western Soviet Jews. Though they all seem a bit detached to their religion, particularly when compared to average American Jews.
What you mean by Russia is a small state?
In regards to everything else, yes the Russian people here are not all Russian, but we all grew in the same system so overall it's all the same. I am a Russian Jew, but mostly consider myself just a Russian as I'm not religious. I had Ukranian friends and Armenian-Russian friends who had the same mentalitee as me so almost all of the ex-Soviet people are very similar.
Russian Dolls is a damn shame and a joke, it makes me wan slap those spoiled sluts silly, making us look bad. Reality shows are stupid bs to begin with and I only watched it for 15 min, but I can already see what kinda people are those.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,868 posts, read 4,040,457 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
Your Russian and you like hip hop clubs?????

How did that happen?
Hip Hop is worldwide and nothing new to Russians. Check out this dated piece by DJ Vadim, Russian born, along with Yarah Bravo and Blurum.


Bluebird - Dj Vadim, Yarah Bravo, Blurum (Oneself) - YouTube
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top