U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,740,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Is LIRR better than the subway cause it's faster?
Obviously what stands out about the LIRR are the clealiness, quickness and long stretch that it covers... With that said, you definitely pay for it...The unlimiteds for the LIRR are somewhere around $200... And if you want to get a single ride it's something like $20... Its ridiculous... I did it once without getting a ticket before hand and I think I had to spend $18 for one ride from Jamaica to Times Square...

If money is no concern then by all means move close to an area near to LIRR tracks but if you're on a budget, subway would be your best bet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,697,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Obviously what stands out about the LIRR are the clealiness, quickness and long stretch that it covers... With that said, you definitely pay for it...The unlimiteds for the LIRR are somewhere around $200... And if you want to get a single ride it's something like $20... Its ridiculous... I did it once without getting a ticket before hand and I think I had to spend $18 for one ride from Jamaica to Times Square...

If money is no concern then by all means move close to an area near to LIRR tracks but if you're on a budget, subway would be your best bet...
GGOOOOOOOT DAAAAAAMN
20 dollars, thats inconceivable, Moderator cut: Language the lirr then

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,309,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
GGOOOOOOOT DAAAAAAMN
20 dollars, thats inconceivable, the lirr then
Here's the fare chart for the LIRR: MTA LIRR - New Fares - Effective December 30, 2010

Queens is Zones 1 and 3. The most you'll pay is $15 if you travel during rush hour and buy the ticket on the train instead of beforehand.

If you're traveling occasionally, plan your trip in advance (if possible) and just pick up an LIRR ticket the day before. The fare is $8.75 during rush hour or $6.25 off-peak. On the weekends, they have a CityTicket, so the fare is $3.75.

If you're traveling every single day, a monthly pass is $193, but unless you work near Penn Station (or Flatbush Avenue/Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn), you'll have to buy a seperate pass for the subway.

They're working on sending the LIRR to Grand Central. The project should be finished by 2015, so you might want to consider that for investment purposes (because homes would be worth more because you have easy access to one more destination).

But as far as commuting, I'd definitely say to pick the subway over the LIRR. Trains run more frequently and fares are lower. But if you see yourself traveling to LI on a regular basis, or you need an area that's more suburban (if you have a car or you just prefer more spread-out places) then the LIRR becomes more attractive.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 PM

Good to know. I am just weighing everything. I am kinda divided between Staten Island, Queens and Southern BK in regards to where to move. SI is cheaper, but might be a tougher late-night-coming back home-after a club commute with the lack of subway. Most of the affordable and suburban Queens will be tough too though even with LIRR nearby, since it doesn't go that often during the night. Southern BK might be too pricey, considering I need parking.
I will be renting for now. My investment thread is for a different thing.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 AM

596 posts, read 1,381,430 times
How would the commute be in the morning (driving) from Rego Park to SoHo via the Queensboro Bridge? Is it even possible? How long would it take? Or would it be better to go 278 and take the Williamsburg Bridge? Seems to me that the highway would have a lot more traffic though, and it would require going 495 first and then getting on 278...that's probably a half hour right there by itself.

Last edited by RC1981; 04-04-2012 at 04:03 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,737,610 times
depends on what section of queens you are interested in. I belive its the biggest borough out of the five. Being closer to Manhattan is Ideal and LIC, Astoria, Sunnyside, Woodside, Rego Park, Forest Hills and Jackson Heights are all very close to manhattan and many have great views of the city plus your close to the 2 airports and not that far from LI

Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM

24 posts, read 58,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
Your Russian and you like hip hop clubs?????

How did that happen?
Apparently there is a hiphop "KIND" music in Russia too like in many countries the way there is European classical music "KIND" in US.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,875,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

I love the LIRR, but yeah it's expensive. I use to use it to go to random LI towns once in awhile.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:34 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,739,244 times
LIRR sucks. It isn't that clean. It's very expensive and the trains were constantly late or very delayed.

But if you are Russian and want to live in Queens, head to Forest Hills. I live right by 108th and its mostly Russian signs and Russian speaking. Very heavy Jewish area, everything closes on Saturday and is fairly active Sunday. I like the area, I feel comfortable when it comes to safety. Being a white, American born non Jew I do feel like an outsider when I walk with my baby. Doesn't help my GF and I are not married, living together, with displayed tattoos, and a baby. That tends to get the looks from the older generation Russians.

To me, Rego Park and Forest Hills are the two nicest followed by Kew Gardens. I did like Astoria when I visited as well. Nice views of the city and a lot of different ethnic shops.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM

I don't know if I wanna be necessarily in a Russian area now. Most these Russians are not like me. They look at me weird too, especially when I was riding in Forest Hills blasting some Russian rap shi*. A lot of them are stuck in the 80s, same as in Brighton Beach. The only two things that I like about Russian areas around here are the Russian food stores and Russian nightclubs, which are mostly in Southern BK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or