U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 4,692,113 times
Reputation: 842

Advertisements

What is a price range for a small condo in a decent neighborhood?
How are property taxes, comparing to NJ and other NYC boroughs?
How's traffic?
I currently live in Bayonne, NJ and I heard people say it is similar to Queens, true?
Is Queens pretty suburban in certain parts? ( I heard it can be the most suburban borough after Staten Island)
How is nightlife? Any good hip hop clubs?
Is there a lot of Russian people? (I am Russian, and I know there is more in BK, but still)

I just moved to the area so not very familiar with NYC yet.
Any other useful info will be appreciated. (pros/cons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Reputation: 3503
Not really many Russians here, but there's a solid Eastern Euro community scattered around many western Queens nabes [Astoria, Sunnyside, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale etc].

Queens can be very suburban in many parts [Howard Beach, Middle Village, Bayside, Cambria Heights etc.] and very urban in others [Ridgewood, Astoria, Jackson Heights etc]. Not much nightlife outside of some areas like Astoria, Forest Hills, and maybe Bayside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
 
10,613 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Not really many Russians here, but there's a solid Eastern Euro community scattered around many western Queens nabes [Astoria, Sunnyside, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale etc].

.
I thought Forest Hills and Rego Park were about 75% Russian. Ok, I am exaggerating, but I know there are a fair number of Russian speakers there because I run into many every time I am over there.

One way to find out how many Russians are in a given area is to see where the businesses are that cater to them.

Russian Rego Park Queens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I thought Forest Hills and Rego Park were about 75% Russian. Ok, I am exaggerating, but I know there are a fair number of Russian speakers there because I run into many every time I am over there.

One way to find out how many Russians are in a given area is to see where the businesses are that cater to them.

Russian Rego Park Queens
You're right, I totally forgot about Rego Park/Forest Hills. Yeah they are easily the most Russian areas in Queens, along with nearby Kew Gardens.

Usually when I think of Russians in New York, Southwest Brooklyn pops up in my mind and nowhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 PM
 
153 posts, read 378,137 times
Reputation: 118
Bukharian's speak Russian but they arent Russian! They are from Uzbeckistan, and are more Mongol than Russian!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Reputation: 9029
There is really no place on Earth comparable to Bayonne.
Years ago there WERE areas of Queens that were somewhat as insular as Bayonne but not quite comparable. I have spoken with people who have spent their entire lives in Bayonne without once going to Manhattan.
Bayonne is stuck somewhere in the space-time continuum that would amaze even Einstein...a really weird, weird, WEIRD insular town.


During fierce storms I think you might spot a witch in red-shoes being blown about on her broom.


bolshoi,
As a recent Bayonne immigrant do you feel the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 AM
 
2,665 posts, read 4,692,113 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There is really no place on Earth comparable to Bayonne.
Years ago there WERE areas of Queens that were somewhat as insular as Bayonne but not quite comparable. I have spoken with people who have spent their entire lives in Bayonne without once going to Manhattan.
Bayonne is stuck somewhere in the space-time continuum that would amaze even Einstein...a really weird, weird, WEIRD insular town.


During fierce storms I think you might spot a witch in red-shoes being blown about on her broom.


bolshoi,
As a recent Bayonne immigrant do you feel the same thing?
lol yea, it does seem somewhat insular. I moved here for now cuz my school's nearby in Jersey City and rent is cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Reputation: 9029
You know they did a study a decade or more ago and found that 40% of the boys in Bayonne High Schools were taking anabolic steroids...40%.

To this day, I find that among the most startling facts I have ever read even if exaggerated by 100%. Certainly the most startling ever in the Jersey Journal.

It's just a really, really weird town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 AM
 
10,613 posts, read 20,745,224 times
Reputation: 8155
I looked it up on nyc.gov, although the numbers I looked at were from 2000 and not 2010:

10,000 Russian-born immigrants living in Forest Hills/Rego Park area at the time of the census.


http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...ng_booklet.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM
 
57 posts, read 108,696 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
What is a price range for a small condo in a decent neighborhood?
How are property taxes, comparing to NJ and other NYC boroughs?
How's traffic?
I currently live in Bayonne, NJ and I heard people say it is similar to Queens, true?
Is Queens pretty suburban in certain parts? ( I heard it can be the most suburban borough after Staten Island)
How is nightlife? Any good hip hop clubs?
Is there a lot of Russian people? (I am Russian, and I know there is more in BK, but still)

I just moved to the area so not very familiar with NYC yet.
Any other useful info will be appreciated. (pros/cons)
Your Russian and you like hip hop clubs?????

How did that happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top