U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM

10,644 posts, read 20,785,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
...are you trying to make New Yorkers seem stupid? Kinda outta left field there. A normal, non-smart ass response would be better received next time, just lettin' you know.

!
It wasn't out of left field. If you had any idea of the incessant nonsense that has been spewed on this board by the so-called NY natives hating the so-called transplants, espcially ones from OHIO, then you would get the sarcasm. Wait, didn't you start this thread ? -- I thought you DID know about the incessant nonsense.

Too bad you didn't get my sarcasm. I got rep points for the post, so I guess other people understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM

124 posts, read 187,845 times
Bronxguyanese, you must be referring to Southern people. Because My real Dad's family's all from the deep South and they only watch college teams. Well, it's like that in Indiana and Ohio too, but they might as well be in the South. People from Wisconsin like the (Fudge) Packers, the Brewers and the Bucks for the most part. Everyone here likes the Blackhawks, Cubs, Bulls, Bears and I guess the South Siders and their White Sox, too.

Henna, Good for your reputation points? I knew it was sarcasm, but I didn't get what Ohio has to do with anything? I just saw on this message board people talking about hating "transplants" and I wanted to know more about it, if it was a real ordeal in New York. But seriously...why the emphasis on Ohio?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,205,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
I don't hate transplants. I despise tourists.
Honestly I don't even really have a big problem with tourists. A huge part of NY's economy is based around them and they create thousands of jobs.

Of course when they're blocking the subway turnstiles while fishing around in their fanny pack for their metro card (that probably doesn't have enough money on it) that can be annoying, but you take the good with the bad.

I've been to many overseas cities and as long as I have a tad bit of common sense with me, I like to think that the locals don't hate me just because I'm not from there.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM

14,903 posts, read 17,467,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Honestly I don't even really have a big problem with tourists. A huge part of NY's economy is based around them and they create thousands of jobs.

Of course when they're blocking the subway turnstiles while fishing around in their fanny pack for their metro card (that probably doesn't have enough money on it) that can be annoying, but you take the good with the bad.

I've been to many overseas cities and as long as I have a tad bit of common sense with me, I like to think that the locals don't hate me just because I'm not from there.
Yes it creates thousanfs of low wage jobs.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yes it creates thousanfs of low wage jobs.
Better than getting nothing though, isn't it?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,753,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Hey, I'm not in New York, but I constantly see you guys using "transplants" in a derogatory way. I mean, I'm from the Chicagoland Area so I know what it's like locally, generally not liking and constantly making fun of Wisconsin and Indiana and the people from there. But are the transplants that you guys all hate so much from any one particular area, or just them as a whole generally? I'm just curious, that's all.
We don't really hate transplants. We just make fun of them because quite a few of them come here with a know-it-all attitude about New York. Or worse, a feeling that they're better than New Yorkers. So they have to be taught about certain realities. That's all it is.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,579,715 times
It is probably hard for "natives" to understand the view of "transplants." I have lived out of NYC for awhile (went to college in Florida), and when you return you realize how dumpy and ghetto many places appear, and it makes people wonder why? Why are there so many ghetto types? Why are there so many horrible housing projects in some very good locations? Why are the destitute and thugs seemingly receiving never ending financial support, free housing, transportation, and on and on? Why does this city not end the welfare state and "get rid" of all the "freeloaders"?

I don't agree with these perceptions, but they are common among locals, and very common among transplants. The rest of the country operates very differently, for better or worse, and it makes people wonder why that is? For all the money and glamor around NYC, there is far more poverty and "undesirables" living reasonably well, and the city seems to accomodate and coddle them. (again this is a perception).

So to an average person, there would appear to be an air of "better than you" or "what is wrong with you people for putting up with this", but from the outside looking in, there is alot of perceived insane dysfunction which never ends. NYC is a very different animal to the rest of the country, and the average person (which includes Nyers too) just doesn't understand why we have to live the way we do, and put up with the things we do, and seemingly cater to the "undesireables." A logical person would want them out right? Yet we seem to work hard to keep them here, give them things, and as a result make the city worse, not better.

Again, these are not my thoughts or beliefs, but perceptions. Hard for NYers to understand sometimes.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:45 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,527,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is probably hard for "natives" to understand the view of "transplants." I have lived out of NYC for awhile (went to college in Florida), and when you return you realize how dumpy and ghetto many places appear, and it makes people wonder why? Why are there so many ghetto types? Why are there so many horrible housing projects in some very good locations? Why are the destitute and thugs seemingly receiving never ending financial support, free housing, transportation, and on and on? Why does this city not end the welfare state and "get rid" of all the "freeloaders"?

I don't agree with these perceptions, but they are common among locals, and very common among transplants. The rest of the country operates very differently, for better or worse, and it makes people wonder why that is? For all the money and glamor around NYC, there is far more poverty and "undesirables" living reasonably well, and the city seems to accomodate and coddle them. (again this is a perception).

So to an average person, there would appear to be an air of "better than you" or "what is wrong with you people for putting up with this", but from the outside looking in, there is alot of perceived insane dysfunction which never ends. NYC is a very different animal to the rest of the country, and the average person (which includes Nyers too) just doesn't understand why we have to live the way we do, and put up with the things we do, and seemingly cater to the "undesireables." A logical person would want them out right? Yet we seem to work hard to keep them here, give them things, and as a result make the city worse, not better.

Again, these are not my thoughts or beliefs, but perceptions. Hard for NYers to understand sometimes.
Sobro...you just hit the nail in the head. Though you say you don't agree with the perception you described, I on the other hand have no shame in agreeing with it because it is SO TRUE. Forget about being polictically correct. You call it as you see it.

I'm a native Bronxite and just like you mentioned above, there are many nice areas in the Bronx that has sooooo much potential, great curb appeal, conveniant to mass transit, nice parks, etc. if it wasn't for the thugs, section 8/welfare receiptants messing it up with their lifestyle and ghetto sub-culture.

And just like you said, I wonder to myself...why does the city cater to this underclass? Why cater to ghetto people? Why make it so relatively easy to qualify for section 8, welfare, food stamps, etc. Why not pass laws to close loop holes in the welfare system? Why not make it stricter and put a time limit on it? Say 2-4 years to get your Moderator cut: Language together if not then your Moderator cut: Language out of luck. Don't come knocking at my door again with a sob story expecting more hand-outs.

By the city going hard in giving out subsidise, that gives these ghetto folks "longevity" and keeps them longer here.

Is it polictically motivated? Maybe. Do ghetto people vote or I should say, do ENOUGH ghetto people vote to make a difference in having these subsidies continued and expanded? I really don't know. But I personally don't think so but I could be wrong.

So the question remains...WHY CATER TO DESTITUTES AND GIVE THEM "LIVE LINES" TO EXTEND THEIR STAY? Why not just ship them out to a state that has a lower cost of living?

From a logical standpoint, wouldn't the City generate more revenue by having a more "middle class" and above base who earn taxable income and contribute to the economy than to have thugs, crackheads, people on welfare/section 8 (ghetto folks in general) DRAIN the city's money supply via all these hand-outs?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-13-2011 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-13-2011, 05:30 PM

14,903 posts, read 17,467,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Sobro...you just hit the nail in the head. Though you say you don't agree with the perception you described, I on the other hand have no shame in agreeing with it because it is SO TRUE. Forget about being polictically correct. You call it as you see it.

I'm a native Bronxite and just like you mentioned above, there are many nice areas in the Bronx that has sooooo much potential, great curb appeal, conveniant to mass transit, nice parks, etc. if it wasn't for the thugs, section 8/welfare receiptants messing it up with their lifestyle and ghetto sub-culture.

And just like you said, I wonder to myself...why does the city cater to this underclass? Why cater to ghetto people? Why make it so relatively easy to qualify for section 8, welfare, food stamps, etc. Why not pass laws to close loop holes in the welfare system? Why not make it stricter and put a time limit on it? Say 2-4 years to get your Moderator cut: Language together if not then your Moderator cut: Language out of luck. Don't come knocking at my door again with a sob story expecting more hand-outs.

By the city going hard in giving out subsidise, that gives these ghetto folks "longevity" and keeps them longer here.

Is it polictically motivated? Maybe. Do ghetto people vote or I should say, do ENOUGH ghetto people vote to make a difference in having these subsidies continued and expanded? I really don't know. But I personally don't think so but I could be wrong.

So the question remains...WHY CATER TO DESTITUTES AND GIVE THEM "LIVE LINES" TO EXTEND THEIR STAY? Why not just ship them out to a state that has a lower cost of living?

From a logical standpoint, wouldn't the City generate more revenue by having a more "middle class" and above base who earn taxable income and contribute to the economy than to have thugs, crackheads, people on welfare/section 8 (ghetto folks in general) DRAIN the city's money supply via all these hand-outs?

True we dont want ghettos turning into improvished slums of squalor!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-13-2011 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post

I agree. We moved further away out in the suburbs because my parents wanted to get away from it all. Then they moved Section out further out by us and not even exaggerating, crimes rose as soon as the Section 8 recipients moved in. I'm all for helping people, we help out and donate with Salvation Army and the Vets all the time, it's just like you said, there needs to be (from the government) WAY less suckling of the teet.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-13-2011 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City