U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM

5,073 posts, read 5,422,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Hey, I'm not in New York, but I constantly see you guys using "transplants" in a derogatory way. I mean, I'm from the Chicagoland Area so I know what it's like locally, generally not liking and constantly making fun of Wisconsin and Indiana and the people from there. But are the transplants that you guys all hate so much from any one particular area, or just them as a whole generally? I'm just curious, that's all.
Generally Manhattan and the surrounding neighborhoods of the outter boroughs, or just about anything gentrified. Many Native New Yorkers simply have a 'love, hate' relationships with transplants because although translplants have been good for the city, many NYers LONG for the old sullen run down days when spray paint was on every wall and multi-colored crack viles were on the ground.

I personally think those who are fascinated with that sort of deprivation should really pack up and move to Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 PM

894 posts, read 918,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Generally Manhattan and the surrounding neighborhoods of the outter boroughs, or just about anything gentrified. Many Native New Yorkers simply have a 'love, hate' relationships with transplants because although translplants have been good for the city, many NYers LONG for the old sullen run down days when spray paint was on every wall and multi-colored crack viles were on the ground.

I personally think those who are fascinated with that sort of deprivation should really pack up and move to Detroit.
Those were the good al days

Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 PM

19,222 posts, read 32,730,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
I see, I see...'cause I know here if we see someone with out of state plates (mostly Wisconsin and sometimes Indiana) or sporting Packers gear or something we always make comments to them...but I would assume that's more of a state vs state thing, like how you guys have your New York vs New Jersey thing going on. (Like my Grandma, who's from Newburgh, tells me, "The best thing about New Jersey is its view of New York.")

And this is to SeventhFloor...why Ohioans? I mean, I've been there and I get the vibe that it's trailer park country, but what about them stands out?
To be honest with you, I have no idea. But that's the state that I hear is the most hated on.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM

5,073 posts, read 5,422,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Those were the good al days
Hardly good..lol

When you movin to Detroit?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 PM

124 posts, read 187,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To be honest with you, I have no idea. But that's the state that I hear is the most hated on.
Understandable...Ohio Sucks...

Except Cleveland. Whenever I drive through there I'm compelled to yell out, "Cleveland rocks!"

....thanks a lot, Drew Carey.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:54 PM

22 posts, read 46,292 times
Because the city is infested with people with annoying out of state accents especially California. Plus they walk around like they own New York - The YUPSTERS and YUPPIES who are not from here. If they humbled a bit I wouldn't mind them but they screech at the top of their longs on their cell phones and act arrogant like they are natives. I can't stand em. Especially the hippy ones.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,564,682 times
Those who talk so poorly of transplants are no different than those who talk poorly of blacks, chinese, jews, italians, and on and on....same hate, different excuses.

Joey you display the same amount of ignorant bias as those people...and make us NYers look bad. Please go away.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,437,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmash View Post
Because the city is infested with people with annoying out of state accents especially California. Plus they walk around like they own New York - The YUPSTERS and YUPPIES who are not from here. If they humbled a bit I wouldn't mind them but they screech at the top of their longs on their cell phones and act arrogant like they are natives. I can't stand em. Especially the hippy ones.

I hope you know in many states where New YOrkers move too, locals have a disdain for New Yorkers like Floridians and NOrth Carolinians. There is hatred every where. SMH.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:39 PM

2,211 posts, read 3,994,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmash View Post
So it's okay to screech at the top of ones lungs on a cell phone and act arrogant....

as long as you are a native?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City