U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 12:53 PM

105 posts, read 273,131 times

Advertisements

I'm a new landlord, and need to get a good lawyer standing by in case of tenant issues. (One tenant is late with rent, so need to anticipate if the problem persists.) Any recommendations? Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM

15,229 posts, read 23,749,578 times
just one word of advice, never and i repeat never install carpeting in a rental, better to have wood floors and poly them once every 10 years. read the renting forum, and you will see why.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,489,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkak69 View Post
I'm a new landlord, and need to get a good lawyer standing by in case of tenant issues. (One tenant is late with rent, so need to anticipate if the problem persists.) Any recommendations? Much appreciated!
Have you talked to the tenant? If the problem persists, kick him/her out. Keep the security deposit.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkak69 View Post
How many units and buildings do you have?

The reason I ask is to ascertain the level of business thaat can be expected. Generaally, the best attorneys are Manhattan centric, and going to Brooklyn has to be cost effective. For example, a typical case load may involve 10 cases in Manhattan and 1 in Brooklyn. The Brooklyn case might not ge the attention it deserves.

It may be better to use a Brooklyn centric attorney.

That said, you can calll either or both of the Kings county and/or the New York county Bar associations. They each run a service that will reccommend an appropriately experienced attorney.

Also, I might suggest spending a couple of days downtown at the L&T court observing the system and attorneys doing their thing.

You can DM if you like.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM

105 posts, read 273,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
How many units and buildings do you have?

The reason I ask is to ascertain the level of business thaat can be expected. Generaally, the best attorneys are Manhattan centric, and going to Brooklyn has to be cost effective. For example, a typical case load may involve 10 cases in Manhattan and 1 in Brooklyn. The Brooklyn case might not ge the attention it deserves.

It may be better to use a Brooklyn centric attorney.

That said, you can calll either or both of the Kings county and/or the New York county Bar associations. They each run a service that will reccommend an appropriately experienced attorney.

Also, I might suggest spending a couple of days downtown at the L&T court observing the system and attorneys doing their thing.

You can DM if you like.

Great advice. Thanks. It's a three family, so I'm a small player. Good news is that my tenant has started communicating with me and has secured some funding from the city to help pay his rent. (We'll see.) I am going to contact the Brooklyn bar as you suggest to get a recommendation and get a lawyer on board for the future.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
You can also look up information about a potential lawyer, and get referrals, via Martindale-Hubbel on martindale.com.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-13-2011, 01:25 PM

168 posts, read 455,267 times
I think you'll find that once you familiarize yourself with the usual and unusual issues that a LL has to deal with, you'll be in a position to self represent your own interests. If you are looking to maximize your profits, it may be worth doing some research on your own, and to only consult an attorney when you feel that you absolutely have to. I'd also recommend that if you are dealing with a particular problem, that you head over to Brownstoner Forum and search (or ask your question if not addressed in the past). That forum is a great resource for LLs and tenants alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or