U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Try Washington Heights West of Broadway from 176 to 191 st (i can attest from living here). This area is pretty chill. Not a lot shady characters, quiet safe, lots of restaurants, etc.
Cool, that actually sounds really great - thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM

168 posts, read 455,337 times
If housing projects make you uncomfortable, then you won't like that area. You are also a decent distance to the 103rd subway stop, which means a fairly precarious walk should you get home late. This all depends on your comfort level. To some, it would be scary, but to you, it may be nothing. Spend some time there -- day and night. It also gets a bit active (in a bad way) around there on late summer nights, but that is true for a lot of areas directly near public housing.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
If housing projects make you uncomfortable, then you won't like that area. You are also a decent distance to the 103rd subway stop, which means a fairly precarious walk should you get home late. This all depends on your comfort level. To some, it would be scary, but to you, it may be nothing. Spend some time there -- day and night. It also gets a bit active (in a bad way) around there on late summer nights, but that is true for a lot of areas directly near public housing.
Thank you for the information, I don't think I would have a high comfort level in that situation - very much appreciated!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM

168 posts, read 455,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr1984 View Post
Thank you for the information, I don't think I would have a high comfort level in that situation - very much appreciated!
What is your budget and what areas of the city do you need to be near?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,296,286 times
Just a word of advice if you do move there: Since you'll be coming back late from East Midtown, don't take the subway. Instead, take the M15 bus. It goes straight up First Avenue and will leave you off at 106th Street (or if not there, a couple of short blocks away).

There is the M15 +SBS+, which makes fewer stops than the local M15 (and I think it leaves you a block or two closer as well). The last one gets to Midtown at around 11:30PM. You have to buy the ticket before boarding the bus, and a fare inspector comes on and checks it.

I believe if a local comes first, you can just hand the driver the ticket and he'll let you on (or if you didn't buy the ticket yet, just dip in your MetroCard like a regular bus)

But like the other posters said, you might be better off in another area.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,425,454 times
It's not TERRIBLE but a real down point is that the walk from the Subway on Lex to First Avenue is a a bit over 1/3 mile...and the crosstown bus service in Harlem leave a lot to be desired. You DON'T want to stand for a half hour waiting in a dicey neighborhood.

However if you began each and every trip with the M15 down Second Ave and back home up First Avenue...your travelling becomes a lot better and SAFER. It wouuld drop you off right in front of your building.
Of course, the area will become MUCH more desirable if an when they EVER get the SECOND AVE. SUBWAY in...sometime in the current century.

oops,
Sorry checkmate if I repeated much of what you said. (I believe 106th is both SELECT and LOCAL for the M15...I know 116th is because that's my COSTCO stop ))

Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM

5,503 posts, read 17,199,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
It's not the best area in Manhattan, but it's not the worst either. It's changed quite a great deal. It use to be predominantly Latinos; now it's a mix of just about all ethnicities. It's become very gentrified. As it is Harlem (Spanish Harlem aka El Barrio).
LOL, You have no idea what you're talking about.

The area is HEAVILY hispanic and black. I am talking upwards of 95%.

And if it's not the worst area, then what is worse?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM

614 posts, read 1,404,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
LOL, You have no idea what you're talking about.

The area is HEAVILY hispanic and black. I am talking upwards of 95%.

And if it's not the worst area, then what is worse?

If "I don't know what I'm talking about"; why are you asking me to share "what is the worse?" There are bad areas in ALL boroughs. I have walked in Spanish Harlem and lived to tell about it. Imagine that! ahahahaaaaa

The nerve of some of you to tell a total stranger "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT......." ballz I tell you! ahahaha

Last edited by SummerBabe; 10-13-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 AM

5,503 posts, read 17,199,837 times
Quote:
Since I don't know what I'm talking about; why don't you TELL us what is worse?
Nothing.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM

19,136 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Quote:
I have walked in Spanish Harlem and lived to tell about it. Imagine that! ahahahaaaaa
I have walked in Brownsville and lived to tell about it...doesn't what you said sound a wee bit silly now?

To the OP, sorry but it's a crap area. But you don't have to believe us. Go there at about 10 PM on a Friday night and see if you would feel comfortable walking there, kinda like if u were coming home from a night out on the town.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or