U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 AM

22,668 posts, read 28,551,950 times

Advertisements

i got a ticket the other day for double parking and i am considering how to fight it. i have a small office on staten island that i will stop by a couple times a week for 1-5 minutes to pick up some paperwork and have a quick word with the employee. but i dont have commercial plates so i doubt i can get away with using that excuse.

so i need the best reason when fighting online to win the ticket. there are always a couple of cars double parked there because there is very limited parking there and i dont really want to lose my ability to do this, so id love a reason that i can use again if needed.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,192,998 times
So were you legally parked and issued the ticket in error, or you were doubled parked but just mad that you got caught?

If you go online and go through the motions to plead not guilty, it'll sometimes offer you a chance to change your plea to guilty in exchange for a reduced fee.

Other than that, just accept that you're probably going to get a couple of these tickets a year and just think of it a convenience fee for parking there if you like.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM

614 posts, read 1,403,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i got a ticket the other day for double parking and i am considering how to fight it. i have a small office on staten island that i will stop by a couple times a week for 1-5 minutes to pick up some paperwork and have a quick word with the employee. but i dont have commercial plates so i doubt i can get away with using that excuse.

so i need the best reason when fighting online to win the ticket. there are always a couple of cars double parked there because there is very limited parking there and i dont really want to lose my ability to do this, so id love a reason that i can use again if needed.

Short of "dying" behind the wheel or getting hit by a car on your way out of your car...there is no "good" reason and you'll probably have to pay the ticket (unless they decrease the amt or you catch someone in a VERY good mood!!). Believe me.

I had my Mother in my car a few years back. She had just gotten discharged from the hospital and I had to run in the supermarket and get her something before taking her home (and she was in the car because she could barely walk; just had gotten surgery). Needless to say, I got a ticket for double parking and I explained why I was double-parked. Nothing; had to pay the ticket.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Commercial plates wouldn't help either. Double parking is simply illegal. There is NO legal way to double park and no excuse.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Quote:

"Other people do it" is not going to work very well. You admit that you double-parked, but you don't want to pay the ticket. I wonder if any kind of solution to the problem occurs to you?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:38 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,457 times
As others have said, you won't beat it. On the back of the ticket there are instruction how to dispute it on line. I think it's this link ↓ ↓
Dispute a Parking Violation
I've found in my experience that if you dispute it on line they will always offer a slight reduction whether you're right or wrong. Simply follow the instructions, pay your reduced fine saving a couple of bucks and be done with it.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Commercial plates wouldn't help either. Double parking is simply illegal. There is NO legal way to double park and no excuse.
i see cars double parked in front of a mosque on friday with no tickets. i see people double parked all down the road when the alternate side causes them to and i dont see them getting tickets.

i am aware that just fighting a ticket usually automatically gets you a reduced fine if you pay it, so of course i will do that. but i would like to win the ticket and want the best argument possible.

to those who think i done wrong and should pay up, your opinion is duly noted.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM

614 posts, read 1,403,827 times
Quote:
but i would like to win the ticket and want the best argument possible.
Hmmm...tell the judge that you've seen many double-parking and they never get ticketed. It's not fair that you should get one and they don't!! Conclude with; paying the ticket would be a hardship for you and you promise not to ever do it again.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
I like when people get double parking tickets, especially on Staten Island. Double Parking is a very annoying problem for people who don't partake. If you see the cop/traffic agent next time, can you ask them to target Oakwood more? Thanks.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
Hmmm...tell the judge that you've seen many double-parking and they never get ticketed. It's not fair that you should get one and they don't!!
i dont need fairness, i see others getting away with it and i would like to get away with it also.

i see that im getting grief from people who probably dont have cars. how would you pedestrians like it if you got a ticket everytime you jaywalked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City