U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,993,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
15 minute walk from Wall Street was a war zone?
That's not exactly a 'war zone'.
There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse areas of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM

8,394 posts, read 19,664,519 times
Not really surprising since the precinct that covers that area has always had and still has one of the highest crime rates in the city.
The crime rates in E Harlem and the Lower East Side are always right up there with the 2 or 3 highest crime precincts in Brooklyn and the 2 or 3 highest crime precincts in the South Bronx.People who think "all of Manhattan" or even "all of Manhattan below 96th ST" is gentrified and safe and cozy are delusional.

If you are near a project in one of the highest crime precincts in the city you shouldn't be surprised to hear gunshots once in a while.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-12-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,363,162 times
Just 5 minutes away from the South Street Seaport. Watch where you walk. The stray bullets are flying.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM

168 posts, read 456,020 times
Quote:
Just 5 minutes away from the South Street Seaport. Watch where you walk. The stray bullets are flying.
I love how dramatic people on this forum are!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM

614 posts, read 1,406,579 times
Quote:
Recently moved to Chinatown and am staying with a Chinese friend of mine. Across the street, there are housing projects lining the river underneath the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. Everynight (7 days a week), thugs hang around outside, blast loud music, and shout loudly. Last night at around 9pm, I heard pop-pop-pop-pop, and saw several of these thug vermin running out of the courtyard. This happened late Saturday as well. Who knew that a mere 15 minute walk from Wall Street was a war zone?
A "war-zone". ahaha

Didn't your friend share some history on how NYC "rolls" before you moved in with him? We have it ALL here; The good, bad and the ugly.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
LMAO! OMG! One would think.............Gosh, I feel sorry for people who are using this site as resource.

That's why we all walk around in bullet proof clothes.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
A "war-zone". ahaha

Didn't your friend share some history on how NYC "rolls" before you moved in with him? We have it ALL here; The good, bad and the ugly.
I have lived in the city before, but never next to a housing project. It's a real wake up call to have a peak into "ghetto" life. Blasting the music all hours of the night, the loitering, Mommies taking their babies out for a stroll at 11pm at night, the drug dealing, etc, etc. I am disgusted that our government is housing and feeding these cretins. Bring back forced day labor camps and maybe they will be too tired at night to reak havoc. It's real quiet over there at 6-8 am, when everyone else is going to work.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I have lived in the city before, but never next to a housing project. It's a real wake up call to have a peak into "ghetto" life. Blasting the music all hours of the night, the loitering, Mommies taking their babies out for a stroll at 11pm at night, the drug dealing, etc, etc. I am disgusted that our government is housing and feeding these cretins. Bring back forced day labor camps and maybe they will be too tired at night to reak havoc. It's real quiet over there at 6-8 am, when everyone else is going to work.
I'm sure it may be as such, but to tell someone that "bullets are flying"....is a bit over the top IMO.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM

168 posts, read 456,020 times
Quote:
What our government needs to do is work at educating our underprivileged population so that everyone has an opportunity to earn a living wage, thus obviating the need for high density public housing!

Oh, and I bet that nobody here would think twice about a woman rolling her baby around at 11:30pm in Park Slope (I see it ALL the time), but heaven forbid you see woman with child getting onto the bus in front of the Red Hook projects at the same time of night -- now suddenly that's just plain "ghetto" and she's a terrible mother...

Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
What our government needs to do is work at educating our underprivileged population so that everyone has an opportunity to earn a living wage, thus obviating the need for high density public housing!

Oh, and I bet that nobody here would think twice about a woman rolling her baby around at 11:30pm in Park Slope (I see it ALL the time), but heaven forbid you see woman with child getting onto the bus in front of the Red Hook projects at the same time of night -- now suddenly that's just plain "ghetto" and she's a terrible mother...
Getting on a bus is quite difference than standing on a street corner, blowing smoke in the child's face, while cursing it up with several unsavory characters AT 11PM AT NIGHT. Our government already spends more per capita on primary and secondary education than any other country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City