U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,626,825 times

Advertisements

Sterpetron...seeing as you have lived in NYC for 40 years....you probably can't count on your both hands and toes how many times the city has been called "A train that is about to fly off the rails." Was it when people fleed for the suburbs and the manufacturing sector vanished? Was it when huge swaths of the city burned to the ground? Was it when the city nearly went bankrupt and the President thumbed his nose at us? Was it when the crack epidemic swept across the city and crime skyrocketed? Was it when the Savings and Loan scandal dropped in the late 80s and we were thrown into recession and banks were closing? Was it when the towers went down and there were other plots against the city? Was it when the bubble burst and now the city is running out of money?

Please tell me why NOW it really is gonna happen, but didn't happen every other time????? You, like so many others, are just a broken record. A broken clock is right twice a day, maybe if you keep repeating the "Today is the end of the world" nonsense, eventually you will be right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM

10,766 posts, read 25,650,276 times
If people want to discuss the issues posed in this thread, please do so, without the insults and attacks that have occurred. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM

661 posts, read 1,006,663 times

Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,312,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Sterpetron...seeing as you have lived in NYC for 40 years....you probably can't count on your both hands and toes how many times the city has been called "A train that is about to fly off the rails." Was it when people fleed for the suburbs and the manufacturing sector vanished? Was it when huge swaths of the city burned to the ground? Was it when the city nearly went bankrupt and the President thumbed his nose at us? Was it when the crack epidemic swept across the city and crime skyrocketed? Was it when the Savings and Loan scandal dropped in the late 80s and we were thrown into recession and banks were closing? Was it when the towers went down and there were other plots against the city? Was it when the bubble burst and now the city is running out of money?

Please tell me why NOW it really is gonna happen, but didn't happen every other time????? You, like so many others, are just a broken record. A broken clock is right twice a day, maybe if you keep repeating the "Today is the end of the world" nonsense, eventually you will be right!
Were you around in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's? I would say the City flew of the rails during that time period.

If the welfare state is to be whittled down to a sustainable level, it needs to and will start in the biggest welfare states of them all; NY, CA, IL, MA, etc.

There's no doubt that there's corporate welfare but it is no different than ordinary welfare. They're two peas in a pod. They're only possible because government has grown so large and powerful and is able to dole out money left and right. Ordinary welfare helps to subsidize corporate welfare and vice versa. The only people getting screwed are those not taking advantage of the system.

Arguing that NYC's problems are seen across the US isn't constructive in the least bit. Whether things are measurably better in Texas or in NYC isn't the point and has little to do with the argument at hand. Were you going to tell the people in Egypt or Libya that "Dictatorships are commonplace in the Near East. Don't complain!" This is essentially your argument here.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 PM

1,090 posts, read 2,794,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Haha, I am one of those anchor babies you're supposed to pay for! Except my parent's didn't recieve welfare, or free housing... SCHOOL YES! And you're damn right I made good use of the public education I was given. Actually scoring HIGHER than your (presumably white) children on the state examinations all the time.

HAHA, and you can't send me back to my country, because, well, the 14th amendment. I'm an American! WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!
LOL. Suckling from the teet of America mwahahaha.

You're a great example of an American. Nothing wrong with educating yourself. The pay off is better for YOU and SOCIETY.

Hats off to you anchor bebe!!!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 PM

457 posts, read 762,176 times
NYC/state is more accomodating to illegal aliens than other states.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:12 PM

2,606 posts, read 3,400,685 times
Isn't there a lifetime limit of 5 years on welfare since welfare reform under Clinton? I'm sure there are abuses of the system, but why not focus on how we can stop abuses? Or should we just cut the poor off of food stamps (malnourished babies anyone?), and deny health care to those that can't afford it? Just saying we spend too much on programs is too general - it's just ranting that offers no solutions.

I'm sure there are many 3rd world countries you could move to and build yourself a compound to keep out the suffering masses.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,736,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post

I'm sure there are many 3rd world countries you could move to and build yourself a compound to keep out the suffering masses.
Or they could just move a few miles ,either out of the city or out of the state entirely to Connecticut or New Jersey, since it seems it's the idea of paying for everything that really bugs them.You don't have to pay to support the NYC social welfare system if you live in Westchester or New Jersey.

No matter how much they rant,NY isn't going to change any time soon and they aren't changing anyone's mind.Some of the posters on this thread are just giving themselves ulcers and heart disease with all the pent up hatred and venom.

If I found life in NYC 1/2 as bad as some of these guys obviously do,I wouldn't be able to live here a month.I don't understand what's keeping some of these people here at all.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 PM

2,606 posts, read 3,400,685 times
Maybe he'd be happier in Alabama or Arizona.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 PM

1,123 posts, read 617,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Sterpetron...seeing as you have lived in NYC for 40 years....you probably can't count on your both hands and toes how many times the city has been called "A train that is about to fly off the rails."
It already did, in '75 when the city went bankrupt.

Quote:
It is different now because of the confluence of several trends, including:

-the exponential and unsustainable increase in the city's budget, particularly for medicaid, welfare and pension costs

-the mass exodus of the middle and upper classes over the past 10-15 years, which has severely reduced the tax base - wonder why the city and MTA have to issue so much debt just to pay for basic, ongoing expenditures?

-the mass influx of illegals and poor replacing those leaving above, who demand massive social services but cannot pay for them

-the feds are also bankrupt and unable to bail out the city the way they have in the past

- the increase in the number of municipalities around the country like Harrisburg that have or are about to declare bankruptcy as a means of fighting against the public union employee cancer

- the overall, long-term trend of pensions and health care for current and retired public union workers that is consuming an ever increasing percentage of the budget

- a higher percentage of homeowners in the city's wealthier districts are pied a terres, meaning that they own here but live abroad - which translates to zero income taxes paid for many people living in high-end residences. As much as 1/3 of some hi-rise buildings in manhattan are said to be owned by foreign nationals spending less than 2 weeks per year in NYC

When a rational person looks at these trends from a broad perspective, it becomes obvious that the city is massively outspending its revenues. With the continued exodus of the higher income earners and business sector, the city's future is desperate.

If Wall street had not had recent banner years juiced by borrowed chinese money, the city might already have collapsed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City