U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,792,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Here's some interesting facts about this city and state:

1) 35% of the NYC budget is for welfare

2) NYS spends over $52 Billion per year on medicaid, far more than any other state

3) Cuomo the idiot governor just mandated that medicaid recipients can receive their forms in any one of SIX languages other than english - and they are no longer visited by the state to make sure they quality, they only have to write in their assets/income on the forms

4) NYC is estimated to have over 2 million illegal aliens living in the 5 boros

5) over 335,000 people work for the City of NY - a higher proportion BY FAR of employees per population of any city in the country

6) and of course, NYC has the highest combined income tax rate in the country

Given that this city and state are hurtling towards bankruptcy, and I am just beyond fed up with the leftwing, liberal idiocy that passes for government in this city, having lived here for over 40 years, it is long past time to get out.

Any wonder why half of mexico and puerto rico live in NYC, if not to collect the ridiculous welfare medicaid benefits and free housing and schooling for their anchor babies that <I> am supposed to endlessly pay for?

If there is a reason to remain in this rathole, I can no longer think of one.
I have an interview with a company I really like but the job would be in NYC. I lived in NYC before and because of the reasons you cite I'm loathe to come back.

Working hard for some leftist utopia in the sky is not my idea of a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Haha, I am one of those anchor babies you're supposed to pay for! Except my parent's didn't recieve welfare, or free housing... SCHOOL YES! And you're damn right I made good use of the public education I was given. Actually scoring HIGHER than your (presumably white) children on the state examinations all the time.

HAHA, and you can't send me back to my country, because, well, the 14th amendment. I'm an American! WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!
The 14th amendment has been grossly misinterpreted unfortunately. Hopefully I live long enough to see that corrected.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Question - Hasn't Canada, Australia and many European countries already reversed their birth right citizenship policies?
Canada no but they tweaked it a little. Europe and Austrailia yes. The last country to have automatic citizenship at birth in Western Europe is Ireland they did away with it a few years ago when they found folks flying to Dublin to have babies for the EU passports, refugee scams etc.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Isn't there a lifetime limit of 5 years on welfare since welfare reform under Clinton? I'm sure there are abuses of the system, but why not focus on how we can stop abuses? Or should we just cut the poor off of food stamps (malnourished babies anyone?), and deny health care to those that can't afford it? Just saying we spend too much on programs is too general - it's just ranting that offers no solutions.

I'm sure there are many 3rd world countries you could move to and build yourself a compound to keep out the suffering masses.
On the federal level states can do as they see fit with their programs

Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,575,022 times
Edward I guess things are not so great in the rightist utopia if you are A: Looking for work and B: Considering a job in NYC. The leftist utopia apparently has something you are missing: Opportunity and Jobs.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM

490 posts, read 607,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Well said. When the tax base completely collapses - as the federal government can no longer subsidize the failing government of NYC/NYS - they will scream all they want, the money will no longer be there to pay for their lazy, useless lifestyles. THEN they will wake up - but we, the income producers and hard workers, will be gone. We'll see if the idiots like some in this thread boasting of how "they got theirs", i.e,, free education, etc., will still be singing the same tune...
Nonsense.

One of the biggest issues with the city is that it gives way more money to the state and federal gov'ts than it ever gets back. IOW, we help subsidize the rest of the country...

Hopefully you'll regain some credibility in the teaparty hellhole you decide to move to.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,290,971 times
Quote:
I understand your point, but I'm not referring to people with these types of disabilities. Like I said, I know a surprising number of people on disability and know them well enough to know what their issue is. I'm certainly not saying that all people on disability are illegitimate - far from it - but I there are definately abuses going on.

One person I know is on disability for some type of depression issues but she works almost full time under the table as a nanny and has for years. Another woman I know is a very good friend of a friend - she's on disability for back problems but she's well enough to volunteer as soccer coach their children's school (this is a very time intensive activity) and carries on her life quite normally. I know someone else on disability for back issues as well, but she's quite active too and admits that she could work if she wanted to.

I've had back problems for years myself. When I was laid off my doctor asked if I wanted to put in a disability claim! In my instance, back problems are worse if I have to sit all day at a desk, but there are jobs that don't require all day sitting. I could go on if you wanted me to. I'm just saying there are a lot of abuses going on. Since the recession, the number of people on disability has increased greatly. Does the recession really make more people disabled? The problem is that once people go on disability, it's very difficult to move them back into employment. I'm sure many if not most of these people have legitimate health issues, but I'm also sure that many of these issues are not severe enough to impede their working.

My friend (who's friend is the disabled soccer coach) is very conservative. She's a lovely person in so many ways, but when she starts to speak about people on welfare, she gets so angry--she can work herself up to where she's almost shaking. I don't think she even knows one person on welfare (she lives in a relatively well-off area in CT). Her friend is abusing the system - I'm sorry but that's the truth - but my friend continues to feel great anger against the "others".
SSDI fraud is the new welfare fraud. It has been since the Clinton/repub congress reforms in the 90's.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,290,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Nonsense.

One of the biggest issues with the city is that it gives way more money to the state and federal gov'ts than it ever gets back. IOW, we help subsidize the rest of the country...

Hopefully you'll regain some credibility in the teaparty hellhole you decide to move to.
Please be more specific. NYC has many inhabitants. Who pays taxes/ fees? Certainly not everyone. Plenty of ny'ers aren't part of the "we".

Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,824,291 times
Quote:
........ One person I know is on disability for some type of depression issues but she works almost full time under the table as a nanny and has for years. Another woman I know is a very good friend of a friend - she's on disability for back problems but she's well enough to volunteer as soccer coach their children's school (this is a very time intensive activity) and carries on her life quite normally. ......
OK, but those are clearly fraud (especially the first, if the job isn't part of an official plan to get off disability) - those aren't the kind of people the system is set up to help. If people work to get rid of all disability because of seeing fraud, then the REALLY disabled people will get thrown out into the streets for inability to pay rent, and probably without medical care would die with great suffering in a short time.

The way to deal with it is to report fraud. I'm sure you could simply call the regular SS phone number and report it anonymously. That's actually a greatly meritous deed because you would be saving resources and helping to make the system more solvent for those who truly need it.

Quote:
My friend (who's friend is the disabled soccer coach) is very conservative. She's a lovely person in so many ways, but when she starts to speak about people on welfare, she gets so angry--she can work herself up to where she's almost shaking. I don't think she even knows one person on welfare (she lives in a relatively well-off area in CT). Her friend is abusing the system - I'm sorry but that's the truth - but my friend continues to feel great anger against the "others".
That's sad, but I've sure seen a lot of it. Such is the power of propaganda (in this case rightwing rabble-rousers such as Rush Limbaugh) that even people who need the system come to despise it in an unthinking way. Joe Bageant used to write a lot about that. When talking to people with serious chronic illnesses in the conservative South where he had grown up, he found that same sort of contempt for "liberals" and welfare in people who literally could not survive without the free medical care and tiny monthly allowance from welfare or SSDI. Likewise, ordinary blue collar workers there would reject unions and froth at the mouth about them, thus ensuring that they would be underpaid and likely get no private health care or other benefits.

We can see the same thing at Tea Party conventions. Half of the attendees are wheeling around on Medicare scooters because they can't walk, and many of them using Medicare subsidized oxygen or other equipment. They're a tremendous burden, taking out way more from Social Security than they put into it, and yet they're contemptuous of the system that keeps them alive and don't even see the contradiction when it's pointed out to them. Some people are simply not smart enough to see that they've been manipulated to work against their own best interests.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 AM

2,594 posts, read 3,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

We can see the same thing at Tea Party conventions. Half of the attendees are wheeling around on Medicare scooters because they can't walk, and many of them using Medicare subsidized oxygen or other equipment. They're a tremendous burden, taking out way more from Social Security than they put into it, and yet they're contemptuous of the system that keeps them alive and don't even see the contradiction when it's pointed out to them. Some people are simply not smart enough to see that they've been manipulated to work against their own best interests.
Very well said. Actually, the people I know personally who are angriest about safety net spending have relatively wealthy families. Someone in their family would always be there to catch them if they were to fall and they cannot put themselves into the shoes of someone with absolutely no family resources. On a personal level, this particular conservative friend is one of the nicest and most giving people I know. If someone she knows is in need she'll go beyond the extra mile to help them. It's hard for me to understand the lack of compassion in her political positions. It's like a knee-jerk reaction - it's as if there are certain people who don't deserve help and compassion.

Regarding disability, don't mistake me, I'm certainly not saying that disability should be done away with, but it's a lot to ask for citizens to report each other and their friends. I'd prefer the government do more to deter fraud.

Last edited by yodel; 10-15-2011 at 05:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City