U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,767,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Down in the Village just south of 14th ST there is Gansevoort St. I've heard it pronounced
GANSfort
ganSEEvert
GAINSfort

Anybody know how to really say it? I presume its from the Dutch, but my knowldege of 17th centruy Dutch is a bit rusty.
It's "gan-zuh-vort" with stress on the first syllable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM

18,015 posts, read 22,342,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
anyone know? i assume it would rhyme with pay gRoSS uh with a very french sounding R and very sibilant SS (both underlined) and the "uh" kind of soft
In French it would be De(h)-Bruhss with a French-sounding R as you said.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM

2,594 posts, read 3,417,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarb View Post
im from brooklyn saw some of the names on the thread figured id add in i hate when i hear hipster kids from mid west say **** wrong (i hate hipsters ruining our neighborhoods sorry) how we say it in ny might not be actually how its supose to be like Kosciuszko we say kah zee ah sko but its a polish name so its really something like kah shu sko
names i seen that i know:
Kosciuszko- kah zee ah sko
Schermerhorn- scim a horn
Joralemon- ja rahl a min
Boerum Hil- bore um hill
Utica- you ti ca
Schenectady- sca neck ta dee
MacDonough- mic dun a
Originally from Brooklyn and I pronounce these streets the same way also.

Mainly because of the train announcers also.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 AM

3,244 posts, read 4,300,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In French it would be De(h)-Bruhss with a French-sounding R as you said.
thank you

Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,001,113 times
when my cousin first moved to nyc he was looking for GRAHAM(pronounced GRAM to him because our uncle is name Graham) Ave he passed it up several times because people kept calling it GRA-HAM .. lol

Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,767,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
when my cousin first moved to nyc he was looking for GRAHAM(pronounced GRAM to him because our uncle is name Graham) Ave he passed it up several times because people kept calling it GRA-HAM .. lol
It's Graham, just like the name. Never heard the gra-ham pronunciation before…

Also, in terms of names being mispronounced officially, if you've ever taken the subway in Brooklyn I'm sure you've heard the automated announcement for DeKalb Avenue station mispronounce it as "DEE-kahlb." It's "duh-KA(L)B." However, I'll admit this one's controversial, but I've lived in Brooklyn for a long time and never heard the MTA pronunciation outside of, well, an automated announcement.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,001,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post

Also, in terms of names being mispronounced officially, if you've ever taken the subway in Brooklyn I'm sure you've heard the automated announcement for DeKalb Avenue station mispronounce it as "DEE-kahlb." It's "duh-KA(L)B." However, I'll admit this one's controversial, but I've lived in Brooklyn for a long time and never heard the MTA pronunciation outside of, well, an automated announcement.
i can't remember whether the L says Graham or Gra-ham but who knows he may have been getting directions from newer new yorkers

Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM

6,457 posts, read 6,456,451 times
surprise no one here brought up "van wyck expresway"

Some say

Van Wick
or
Van Why-ke

Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM

13,628 posts, read 28,823,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post

In Brooklyn they say it wrong. In the Bronx (there's a DeKalb Avenue in the Bronx too) they say it correct.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM

13,628 posts, read 28,823,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i can't remember whether the L says Graham or Gra-ham but who knows he may have been getting directions from newer new yorkers
That sounds really odd....have you ever heard somebody named Graham pronounce their name Gra-ham?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City