U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM

275 posts, read 215,905 times

Advertisements

Another street in the area near the World Trade Center that is consistently mispronounced is Dey Street; it is pronounced as Dye (as in dye your hair), not Day.

No one should have a problem pronouncing either Amethyst or Nereid as street names, because they are words you can look up in the dictionary. Amethyst is a purple semi-precious stone (the birthstone for February, actually) and is pronounced AM-uh-thist; a Nereid is a sea-nymph (kind of like a mermaid), and the word is pronounced NEE-ree-id.

Vleigh Place in Flushing is actually correctly pronounced as "Fly" (it is named for what was spelled as the Fly Creek for most of the last two centuries until someone wanted to get all Dutch and pretentious; the V in Dutch is pronounce as an F.) Also in Flushing is Crocheron Avenue, which is pronounced as CROW-shuh-ron if one is speaking clearly, and CROW-shron if said quickly.

Considering that Mayor Van Wyck, after whom the road is named, pronounced his name as van wyke, and not van wick, the Expressway should also be said as "van wyke". In the same way, Roosevelt Avenue in Queens is named for Theodore Roosevelt (the name being changed from "Amity Street" during a visit of ex-President Teddy to Flushing.) Theodore Roosevelt pronounced his name (as can be seen in this letter from his uncle Robert Roosevelt: http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/gra...nunciation.pdf ) as "Rose-uh-velt", and so that is the only correct pronunciation of the street name.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 AM

14 posts, read 20,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren tell people they grew up on Mow sha loo Parkway, so that's how I pronounce it.
If English is your native language, and you understand pronunciation. it is clear Mosh-O-loo . Look at where the o and u are. One O cannot make a oo sound. What happened was in the 80s and 90s a lot of spanish speaker moved to the Bronx, and have somehow managed to redefine the pronunciation. It is Mosh-O-loo in english.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 AM

17,804 posts, read 23,525,529 times
THIRD AVENUE is a toughy.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,770,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Spuyten Duyvil bridge & neighborhood in the Bronx (or Bronix, if you prefer)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
SPITE-in DIE-vuhl
Geoking has it correct. That is how we locals pronounce it. There are a few street names that comes to mind here: Liebig Avenue, Iselin Avenue, Kappock Street and Grosvenor Avenue.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:00 PM

3,762 posts, read 6,748,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Geoking has it correct. That is how we locals pronounce it. There are a few street names that comes to mind here: Liebig Avenue, Iselin Avenue, Kappock Street and Grosvenor Avenue.
Personally, I just pronounce it "Spoy-ten Doy-vhul".

Old 02-01-2014, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
...You live on TURD Avenue?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
a Nereid is a sea-nymph (kind of like a mermaid), and the word is pronounced NEE-ree-id.
That's how I've always heard it pronounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
Considering that Mayor Van Wyck, after whom the road is named, pronounced his name as van wyke, and not van wick, the Expressway should also be said as "van wyke". In the same way, Roosevelt Avenue in Queens is named for Theodore Roosevelt (the name being changed from "Amity Street" during a visit of ex-President Teddy to Flushing.) Theodore Roosevelt pronounced his name (as can be seen in this letter from his uncle Robert Roosevelt: [url=http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/graphics/Roosevelt_pronunciation.pdf]Home - Theodore Roosevelt Association[/url] ) as "Rose-uh-velt", and so that is the only correct pronunciation of the street name.
That's lovely that people pronounce their names a certain way, but it has no bearing on street names. It's the Van "Wick" and I've heard "Rooz-uh-velt" as well as "Full-ton" street.

Here's one: Throop

Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM

383 posts, read 365,185 times
Tiemann Place in Morningside Heights. Bus drivers can't make up their minds: TIE--man or TEE-man. Who knows!?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM

146 posts, read 321,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmykevin View Post

Here's one: Throop
I've always pronounced that as "troop (thanks, bus announcers!!)..." When I moved to Chicago, I saw that they also pronounce it that way (well, those familiar with the street, I guess).

?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,363,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So how do you pronounce it ? Turd Avenue or Toid Avenue ?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,434,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurge026 View Post
What are some easily mispronounced street names in NY? Feel free to correct any that I mispronounce.

Kosciuszko (cuss-kee-uhz-co)
Schermerhorn (skeer-murr-horn)
Mosholu (muh-shoo-luh)
Rochambeau (row-shem-bow)
Vermilyea (vurr-mill-yuh)

I lived on Schermerhorn for 15 years (Sher-mer-horn) is how I always pronounced it-- It is a dutch name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City