Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 PM

760 posts, read 767,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
anyone know? i assume it would rhyme with pay gRoSS uh with a very french sounding R and very sibilant SS (both underlined) and the "uh" kind of soft
Yes, from an 1880 book:

Quote:
In the city of New York there has been of very late years a remarkable change of name effected by this rule of spelling-book. "What," said to me an elderly gentleman, a member of a highly respected old New York family, "what do these people mean by Dezbros-sez Street? There's no such street. The name is De Broose Street." He then informed me that the street was named after a family whose name was spelled " Desbrosses," but pronounced De Broose, and that until it appeared on the street cars it was always so pronounced. I myself have been astonished to hear the family name of an old friend and college classmate of mine—Van Schaick, which time out of mind was pronounced Von Scoik — lately spellingbooked into Van Shake. This solicitude to conform sound to letter has become a disease among us. It exists in no other country; and here it is due chiefly to common school teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I pronounce Kosciuszko differently (more like ko shoosh skoh) but then again I know a lot of Polish and grew up hearing it that way lol
That's the proper Polish pronunciation of the word!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
I did not read every single post in this thread, however I do have a question:

I was in NY last month and my friend, who has been living there for about two years, mentioned to me that the locals pronounce "Houston" like "Hows-ton" or "House-ton". My question is, if the locals do pronounce it like "Hows-ton", then why don't you say "So-How" instead of the commonly heard "So-Ho"?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
According to the MTA announcements, Kosciuszko is pronounced "Kah-zhoose-ko".

Old 04-20-2015, 09:53 PM

102 posts, read 145,833 times
One that has gone, or is going, or perhaps never was, is the putative "correct" New York pronunciation of Broadway:

BroadWAY, with stress on the second syllable seems to have been in at least semi-regular use back before c. 1970 (maybe even have to go back a decade or two).

Almost no one stresses it like this today, but I do know a few old time New Yorkers that do. One is a commercial RE broker located on Broadway. It's also possible to find such pronunciations in interviews and films, but it seems to sit side by side with the more common pronunciation as well.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I'm a big movie buff and the word Broadway has been used hundreds or even thousands of times and never have I heard BroadWAY.
And "That's the BROAD-way Melody."
So "Give my regards to BROAD-way"

Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I did not read every single post in this thread, however I do have a question:

I was in NY last month and my friend, who has been living there for about two years, mentioned to me that the locals pronounce "Houston" like "Hows-ton" or "House-ton". My question is, if the locals do pronounce it like "Hows-ton", then why don't you say "So-How" instead of the commonly heard "So-Ho"?
"House-ton" is the proper pronunciation for a name that has been around since the Anglo-Saxon invasions of England. "Hyoo-ston" was some idiot's 19th century idea of how to pronounce his name. It's been called "House-ton" Street since well before the Texas city was founded.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 PM

102 posts, read 145,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'm a big movie buff and the word Broadway has been used hundreds or even thousands of times and never have I heard BroadWAY.
And "That's the BROAD-way Melody."
So "Give my regards to BROAD-way"

There is this:

https://youtu.be/WfyhaXlKNts?t=1m55s

Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
According to the MTA announcements, Kosciuszko is pronounced "Kah-zhoose-ko".
It's supposed to be "koh-sh-chooh-shkoh". Aint there anyone Polish on the MTA?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
"House-ton" is the proper pronunciation for a name that has been around since the Anglo-Saxon invasions of England. "Hyoo-ston" was some idiot's 19th century idea of how to pronounce his name. It's been called "House-ton" Street since well before the Texas city was founded.
I understand that. My question was that why do people say "So-Hoe" instead of "So-How" if it's pronounced like "House"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City