U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 AM

168 posts, read 455,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Pretty much this.

Though I have a friend who lives off 36th Ave & 31st Street who constantly persists she lives in LIC, while I live off of Ditmars Blvd, she says I live in Astoria. I don't think it makes much of a difference except for the mailing codes. Her mail says LIC, NY and my mail is Astoria, NY. But it's all the same to me really. Some people say the borderlines are north of Broadway I don't know if it's true or not, but regardless LIC/Astoria are pretty much congruent.
I think most people these days think of that strip along Vernon Blvd. on the waterfront/the area around MoMa PS1, Court Sq., etc. when you say Long Island City, while realtors have pushed the boundaries of Astoria into the more industrial parts of what is traditionally LIC. But now that LIC is as "up and coming" and Astoria, I wonder if they'll just rename the whole area altogether -- Licoria or something, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM

4,911 posts, read 6,819,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Price is way to good actually. Either it's a basement apt or something else is going on here. Trust me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W33ZER View Post
Its a 3rd floor apartment ,and i got it through a broker. A-List Realty.

There is something very fishy here. Be careful. That price is ridiculously low for the area. Ridiculously low...

Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,585,463 times
Quote:
Will be moving to "30th Ave. & 47th Street, Astoria Queens"

some people are telling me this is actually Long Island City?

How is the area? paying $850 1/br (really big livingroom) is this good price?

never lived in new york beforre

subway close?
That's such an amazing price that it makes me raise my eyebrows a little. Hopefully it's legit though. You'll be solidly in Astoria and all the necessities will be pretty convenient. That is a very cool area. My friend lives at the corner of Steinway and 28th Ave and I lived just a few blocks NW of there. There are several cool Irish bars if you are into that sort of thing and you are on the edge of a big Egyptian(I assume most are Egyptian) neighborhood. Astoria is ridiculously diverse and vibrant. I miss it.

Where are you moving to NYC from if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 PM

2,211 posts, read 3,990,607 times
Quote:
It doesnt matter, just curious.
Understandable.

Depending on who you talk to, the borders of NYC neighborhoods are vastly changing things. I couldn't imagine anyone not considering this area Astoria though.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,994,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
I think most people these days think of that strip along Vernon Blvd. on the waterfront/the area around MoMa PS1, Court Sq., etc. when you say Long Island City, while realtors have pushed the boundaries of Astoria into the more industrial parts of what is traditionally LIC. But now that LIC is as "up and coming" and Astoria, I wonder if they'll just rename the whole area altogether -- Licoria or something, lol.
Yeah that'll be the 'new' marketing for LIC. LOl

Realtors always create their own borderlines anyways. I remember I saw this bogus ad on Craigslist for the Upper Upper East Side. Or something insane like that. It was hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
There is something very fishy here. Be careful. That price is ridiculously low for the area. Ridiculously low...
I too agree with this. I've seen studios starting out at $1,000, so a 1bedroom at $850 is sketchy. Have you seen the place yet?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
I think most people these days think of that strip along Vernon Blvd....
Vernon Blvd from the railroad yard to 44th, that stretch is in 'Hunter's Point'. From McGuiness to the river is Hunter's Point.

The other side of McGuiness is LIC, which includes the below

Quote:
...on the waterfront/the area around MoMa PS1, Court Sq., etc. when you say Long Island City, while realtors have pushed the boundaries of Astoria into the more industrial parts of what is traditionally LIC. But now that LIC is as "up and coming" and Astoria, I wonder if they'll just rename the whole area altogether -- Licoria or something, lol.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 AM

20,130 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Oops,
I mixed up 30th Street with 30th Avenue.
Apparently this is enough to cause a hysterical menopausal meltdown from JColtraine.

I recommend a sedative before apoplexy sets in. Perhaps 10 mg. dizapam a couple times a day?

You must live alone, right...seems obvious? A stroke can be doubly dangerous without quick attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or