U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 AM

84 posts, read 159,148 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to "30th Ave. & 47th Street, Astoria Queens"

some people are telling me this is actually Long Island City?

How is the area? paying $850 1/br (really big livingroom) is this good price?

never lived in new york beforre

subway close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 AM

4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times
Price is way to good actually. Either it's a basement apt or something else is going on here. Trust me.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:15 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W33ZER View Post
Will be moving to "30th Ave. & 47th Street, Astoria Queens"

some people are telling me this is actually Long Island City?

How is the area? paying $850 1/br (really big livingroom) is this good price?

never lived in new york beforre

subway close?
So you have never lived in NY before and you are moving into a neighborhood you don't know anything about ?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
You are very much in the heart of Astoria.

It looks like a 4 block walk to the Subway at Broadway and 31st.

$850 for a big one bedroom apt. is a steal.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 AM

2,211 posts, read 3,989,821 times
Does it really matter to you whether it is LIC or Astoria? If you are someone who has never been to NYC, you surely can't have a preference for neighborhoods yet?

The area is fine, in fact the Google Street View is very pretty, if you are the kind of person that likes to look at Google Street View. I think it can be interesting at times. I don't go to that area of Astoria often, but last time I was there it was 2am and people were still walking around and I felt safe, although I am a man and in my early 30s.

If you want to know if a subway is close, simply go look at a subway map. You can easily google it. The N and Q trains stop at 30th and 31st, or just a few blocks over on Atoria Blvd.

As far as that price, you are either really lucky or being hoodwinked. Your address is right off Steinway street, and it seems to me that that is a really really cheap price. Hope you saw it before you signed any papers.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You are very much in the heart of Astoria.

It looks like a 4 block walk to the Subway at Broadway and 31st.

$850 for a big one bedroom apt. is a steal.
Again, this poster shoots fireballs of idioacy from his arse!!! Can any of his posts be relied upon for anything considered knowledgeble and intelligent?

First, the OP is at 30th Avenue, which is TWO blocks distant from Broadway. 30th Avenue and Broadway are two of Astoria's main commercial streets and travel in parrellel to one another. It is Broadway, 31st Avenue, then 30th Avenue. Duh!

The N/Q elevated line runs along 31st Street.

The OP is at 47th Street and 30th Avenue. That w/b approximately SEVENTEEN blocks to 31st Street and the subway line. The station at that point is the "30th Avenue station" at 31st Street and 30th Avenue. There is a bus which runs along 30th Avenue.

Keifer King, with a presumption of knowledge, suggests the nearest subway is at Broadway and 31st Street, and is 4 blocks away from the OP's location.

Indeed, there is a station, "Broadway" at that intersection, but it is approximately NINETEEN blocks!!!! It is not even the closest station on that line which is "30th Avenue", and as I've stated is 2 blocks closer than Broadway, again appx 17 blocks.

So much for know anything about what one posts. For some, facts and reality have no meaning.

At the OP, your location is in Astoria. The borderline between LIC and Astoria is not a straight line, but a meandering one. Some spots in several places would logically seem to be a part of one area, may actually be part of the other. Such is the mystery of Queens.

Your location is rather distant from the N/Q subway line, as I've outlined. The closest subway is actually located at Broadway and 46th Street, "46th Street" station, the R/M lines, and is approximately 3 or 4 blocks from your location.

Sheshhh! Why do people presume to know what they don't, and post when they shouldn't. If one doesn't know with certainty, then how and who are you helping, except your ego?

Yammering is pointless.

If one is guessing, then QUALIFY your post as such! A guess!

/jcoltrane

Old 10-13-2011, 08:46 AM

168 posts, read 455,177 times
From a historical standpoint, Astoria and Long Island City are one in the same given that prior to being incorporated into the City of Greater New York, Long Island City absorbed what was then the Village of Astoria. As far as modern times go, you are in the neighborhood of Astoria. Your rent seems a bit lower than average, so proceed with a critical mindset. Commuting times to Midtown are excellent, but it will take you a while to get to lower Manhattan or Brooklyn, if that matters to you.

Steinway street is a very useful commercial strip, and you'll be about a 1/2 mile walk to everything around there. It's a decent spot and pretty safe.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Price is way to good actually. Either it's a basement apt or something else is going on here. Trust me.

Its a 3rd floor apartment ,and i got it through a broker. A-List Realty.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Does it really matter to you whether it is LIC or Astoria?
It doesnt matter, just curious.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,993,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
From a historical standpoint, Astoria and Long Island City are one in the same given that prior to being incorporated into the City of Greater New York, Long Island City absorbed what was then the Village of Astoria. As far as modern times go, you are in the neighborhood of Astoria. Your rent seems a bit lower than average, so proceed with a critical mindset. Commuting times to Midtown are excellent, but it will take you a while to get to lower Manhattan or Brooklyn, if that matters to you.

Steinway street is a very useful commercial strip, and you'll be about a 1/2 mile walk to everything around there. It's a decent spot and pretty safe.
Pretty much this.

Though I have a friend who lives off 36th Ave & 31st Street who constantly persists she lives in LIC, while I live off of Ditmars Blvd, she says I live in Astoria. I don't think it makes much of a difference except for the mailing codes. Her mail says LIC, NY and my mail is Astoria, NY. But it's all the same to me really. Some people say the borderlines are north of Broadway I don't know if it's true or not, but regardless LIC/Astoria are pretty much congruent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or