U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM

845 posts, read 930,823 times

Advertisements

If my flight lands at Newark at 3:30pm on a weekday, how long will it take me to drive into the city (21st street)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 AM

10,755 posts, read 25,542,103 times
I would count on an hour, unless there is a very bad delay at the tunnel that afternoon as the inbound tunnels can be jammed coming back from NJ, worse if there is an accident or other delay.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,256,748 times
Are you staying in the city? Does your hotel have parking? It's easy to get from Newark to midtown (and quick) via public transportation as well.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Normally I would prefer to take public transportation but it's not the most convenient option for this case.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 AM

614 posts, read 1,405,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
If my flight lands at Newark at 3:30pm on a weekday, how long will it take me to drive into the city (21st street)?
Since you're going against the traffic (many ppl are heading out the NYC), it won't be too bad (appxly an hour). However, if someone breaks down in the Tunnel it will take longer.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
Since you're going against the traffic (many ppl are heading out the NYC), it won't be too bad (appxly an hour). However, if someone breaks down in the Tunnel it will take longer.

I'll get out and help them push

Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 PM

4,134 posts, read 5,949,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
Since you're going against the traffic (many ppl are heading out the NYC), it won't be too bad ...

This is DEFINITELY not true.

Driving into the city through the Lincoln or Holland tunnels with the reverse evening commute -- and it would be prime time for that by the time you deplane, pick up your bags, and rent your car--can be asbolutely hellish. Each tunnel switches some inbound lanes to outbound ones to help reduce the crush of NJ-bound cars. That means things usually back up big time on the inbound side. It can be very very bad, even without an accident on the highway.

Might be a bit longer, but you can try coming up the Jersey Turnpike and over the George Washington Bridge and down the East Side or West Side Highways. But whatever, as soon as you get inot that car, turn onto the news, like WINS or WCBS, and they'll give you a traffic report every 10 minutes with your best options.

Or better yet, take NJ transit (the train) into Penn Station, which is near 21st street, and rent a car in the city for the rest of your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City