Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Underpaid? LOL

NYPD pays very well now for only requiring 60 college credits. One cop clocked in over 70k in overtime alone in addition to his regular salary. Detectives normally do anywhere from 75k-100k+. Patrolman do anywhere from 50+ and above. Higher ranking positions pay even better and compete with a good salary of an attorney or someone in finance.
That's after 5 years on the beat risking their lives everyday. And most will probably never make it to detective or move up in ranks. You can never compare a nice cushy finance job to being a cop any day, I should know I went the finance route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
That's after 5 years on the beat risking their lives everyday. And most will probably never make it to detective or move up in ranks. You can never compare a nice cushy finance job to being a cop any day, I should know I went the finance route.
They actually make 90k after 5 years as a patrolman...and 50k after the first year in salary alone. Just as most will never rank, most will never be shot, killed etc.

Finance jobs are not cushy, they are considered extremely competitive and in nyc they require far more 'hard skills' than a cop has.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
They actually make 90k after 5 years as a patrolman...and 50k after the first year in salary alone. Just as most will never rank, most will never be shot, killed etc.

Finance jobs are not cushy, they are considered extremely competitive and in nyc they require far more 'hard skills' than a cop has.
Ok this is going to go on forever, I'm in finance I know and being a cop is a lot harder than being in a desk working twelve hr days just to meet dead lines on stupid reports,that's as stressful as it will get. I did the math, I know people in the dept it will never equate ever. My bad week will never compare to their whole crappy cop bad life career, there is a high turn over not to mention suicidal rate in the dept, there is a reason that is.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,293 times
Sometimes careers are not made to design somebody's life, meaning been a cop cuz has some degree or high education on criminal justice, doesn't mean that is a real one. You might call me crazy but the truth is the system is corrupt all of it!! And good cops pays for bad cops, I wish you can see how in Puerto Rico the police works .!! Yeah there is a big numbers in murders every year. But you don t see gangs, the police is always 7/24 hrs working. And their pay is real Less than what NY or other state will give. Peolple struggles every day to earn some money to support themselfs and the little of it goes on bills, taxes and others things that is not giving nothing back. Where are we going to be on the next 5 years ?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Ok this is going to go on forever, I'm in finance I know and being a cop is a lot harder than being in a desk working twelve hr days just to meet dead lines on stupid reports,that's as stressful as it will get. I did the math, I know people in the dept it will never equate ever. My bad week will never compare to their whole crappy cop bad life career, there is a high turn over not to mention suicidal rate in the dept, there is a reason that is.
You're right this can go on for ever, but they are compensated very well. 90k salary plus overtime( add another 25%) after 5.5 years to engage in situations where it is likely that you will never be shot or harmed for only 60 college credits is a pretty good deal.

Let's not act like these folks are coal miners or hand-feeding sharks when in fact most of them are hanging outside of schools, and in the subways conversing with one another pretending to be on terrorist watch. Otherwise, you can find many of them are riding around all day conducting "stop and frisks" or fugding tickets to meet quotas to work their way up to higher pay grades. Hardly any risk there and more of a civil disservice if anything.

I think what you're refering to are Narcos, rip-and-run types with hefty bullet proof vests who kick in doors and rough drug dealers up like on the Wire. Most never see that kind of action though. Most have become meter maids with more responsibilities.

Last edited by itshim; 10-14-2011 at 12:22 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
For those who think they know what is happening inside the Police Department....this isn't anything new:

Cops made money by fabricating drug charges against innocent people, Stephen Anderson testifies

"Paired with another allegedly corrupt cop, Anderson filled out paperwork taking credit for a drug buy made by his partner. He also provided multiple accounts of lying to grand juries, falsifying police reports and fabricating the circumstances of drug busts in Brooklyn and Queens."

"Anderson said undercover cops also routinely swiped police funds used for drug buys. A typical scam involved taking $100, spending just $50 and pocketing the rest, he said."

As I stated before, unfortunately, the culture of the Police Department, from the top down, is that they are NOT your friend, they have to produce even if it means lieing/cheating/stealing, and corruption at some level is a part of operating in the department. Those who play the game succeed (with raises, overtime, promotions), and those who don't, are labeled rats and are "dealt with."

Until the culture changes (which is probably never), I recommend staying away from cops, and not even making any as friends...they are your friends today but what about tomorrow? Beware.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,293 times
I was victim one time of a fabricated case , similar , and cost me a job , my freedom and my background . And I really don't like cops at all,!! But see abusive stuff around that really needs to be fix. How can the law inforce rules and regulations, when the same law brakes the rules?? Who monitors the law?? Very hard question, and the answer will be. Hu ??????? What ??? Bs.....

Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
You must not be in finance and you must not know any cops.

First, a sizable portion of NYC cops are desk jockey's. Second, NYC isn't the wild west of the 70's and 80's.

Third:

Quote:
Line of duty deaths

Between December 25, 1806 and August 25, 2009, the NYPD has lost 780 officers in the line of duty. This figure includes officers from agencies that were absorbed by or became a part of the modern NYPD in addition to the modern department itself. This number also includes officers killed on and off duty by gunfire of other officers on duty. The NYPD lost 23 officers in the September 11, 2001, attacks, as well as 31 officers as a result of illness contracted from inhaling toxic chemicals while working long hours at Ground Zero and Fresh Kills Landfill.[21]
Type number Type number
9/11 related[23] 31 Terrorist 10
Aircraft accident 7 Animal related 17
Asphyxiation 2 Assault 31
Automobile accident 51 Bicycle accident 4
Boating accident 5 Bomb 2
Drowned 12 Duty related illness 10
Electrocuted 5 Explosion 8
Exposure 1 Fall 12
Fire 14 Gunfire 321
Gunfire (accidental) 24 Heart attack 44
Motorcycle accident 36 Stabbed 24
Struck by streetcar 7 Struck by train 5
Struck by vehicle 37 Structure collapse 3
Terrorist attack 24 Vehicle pursuit 12
Vehicular assault 20 Total 780

780 deaths over 203 years.

For further evidence (deaths of US PO's):

Quote:
In 2009, 117 were killed, a 50-year low, compared with 160 killed in 2010.
Compare that to construction, manufacturing, and mining fatalities:

Quote:
Deaths rose from 1,131 in 2003 to 1,226 in 2006. By comparison, 836 workers died in mining accidents last year, and 447 died in manufacturing. The government reports between six and seven construction deaths per 1,000 workers.

This was a few minutes of researching.
You get the point. When cops cry about the dangers of their job,I laugh. There are literally handfuls of more dangerous jobs in the US.

I do not deny that being a cop is a stressful job but so is almost every job in America. Especially in the private sector.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
...90k salary plus overtime...

PD base pay is 76k not 90k.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
PD base pay is 76k not 90k.
Base doesn't matter in public sector jobs. 10 or 15k here or there is peanuts when taking into account all of the OT and bennies.

It's the OT, Pension, annuity, and healthcare that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: