U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,465 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a place with my boyfriend and it seems as like we are priced out of Astoria, so I was thinking of checking out Elmhurst. I tried to do some research online and it seems as if crime isn't a problem but one of my friends is convinced its dangerous. We are visiting on Saturday, but it would be nice to hear from other people before we make the move in case the neighborhood isn't what is seems. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 PM

10,601 posts, read 20,730,171 times
This is a hard question to answer because nowhere is totally safe. But I think it's pretty safe overall and I have walked around at night.

I think of Elmhurst as a working class immigrant community for the most part. There are certainly middle class areas/buildings as well, given that there are a number of coop buidings spread throughout. Also, different areas have different vibes. I guess the area around the 82nd St./Roosevelt 7 train has a different vibe from the area around the Queens Center Mall.

I have always recommended Elmhurst on this board to people who are looking for cheap rent, decent area and quick ride to the city. I think since it's heavily immigrant area, it flies a bit under the radar and the rents are still good value for what it offers.

If you are into ethnic food, you can find some fantastic Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, Argentinian, etc. in the area.

There is a guy on this board who has posted pretty recently about living in a studio near Elmhurst Hospital in a building with a doorman for $950 a month, so you might want to look up those posts.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,465 times
I feel a better about choosing to look there now. Our main concern is definitely getting our moneys worth and we don't mind living in an immigrant area. The best thing will probably be for us to walk around and get a feel for the neighborhood. Thanks for the insight!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM

813 posts, read 671,505 times
The areas near Jackson Heights/Corona and Lefrak City are sketchier. Sometimes you see men just walking around aimlessly. You can tell they are either looking for drugs or someone to rob.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
The areas near Jackson Heights/Corona and Lefrak City are sketchier. Sometimes you see men just walking around aimlessly. You can tell they are either looking for drugs or someone to rob.
Can anyone be banned for being BRAIN DEAD?

Just wondering, not that I'm suggesting anything.....

Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 AM

813 posts, read 671,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Can anyone be banned for being BRAIN DEAD?

Just wondering, not that I'm suggesting anything.....
Weak sauce man. If you have some grief at least try to explain it intelligently.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
Yeah it's a decent area, some sections near Corona or Roosevelt Avenue can be shady at night. The neighborhood however, is very immigrant oriented [Over 70% of the population there is foreign born], mainly Asians [Western Portion] and Hispanics [Eastern portion], so don't be surprised if almost none of your neighbors speak english there.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM

147 posts, read 266,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yeah it's a decent area, some sections near Corona or Roosevelt Avenue can be shady at night. The neighborhood however, is very immigrant oriented [Over 70% of the population there is foreign born], mainly Asians [Western Portion] and Hispanics [Eastern portion], so don't be surprised if almost none of your neighbors speak english there.
Dan is right...I live in Elmhurst and I rarely see any white people. But keep in mind that the Hispanic here is a mix of white Hispanic and darker skin Hispanic. Sadly, I have to agree with the part about no one around here speaking English...to my understanding this neighborhood is mostly first generation immigrants.

In terms of affordability...I believe it does depend on how shady of a neighborhood/block you're willing to accept. The range here is probably 800 for someone's basement, somewhere in the low 1000's for something above ground.

This place is not that dangerous...there might be a few drunk people wandering the streets (or sleeping on them), but aside from that, I'd say it's a relatively quiet place. But rumor has it that there are gang activities occasionally, evidenced by the sneakers hanging on telephone cables, though I've never heard a gunshot around, so I dunno...

Old 10-14-2011, 12:42 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times
Quote:
...evidenced by the sneakers hanging on telephone cables...

gee golly!!!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 AM

196 posts, read 577,899 times
Elmhurst is pretty decent. Almost all of the people are immigrants,from either Asia or Latin America. It's not the cleanest place, but maybe you can deal with that? Most people don't speak good English,except for the kids or the younger people,so brush up on your Spanish because you'll need it.

Don't be fooled,there is crime,drugs,gangs,and all of that. As long as you're not involved in any criminal activity you will probably be fine. However don't be stupid, don't walk through a park at 2 A.M., don't come home stumbling drunk during the late hours of the night. These are rules you should abide by anywhere in a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City