U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,784 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to move in to New York City in the winter, and am looking to move into somewhere in Queens (Astoria and Forest Hills come to mind). I'll be working around the 59 and Lexington subway stop so I found Queens to be the most suitable area for me.

However, just looking at listings on Craigslist, I can find places for rent at literally any price I feed it. If I set the minimum price for in a place like Astoria for $1000, I see tons of 1 bedroom apartments, even though reading through threads here it suggests rent should be much much more. This is true for any area in NYC it seems.

Why are there so many cheap apartments available when they aren't supposed to be there? Some of them even list the address, and the locations don't seem all that terrible. And since there are so many of these types of listings, they can't all be "bogus", right? Are some of these apartments steals, or do you guys think their is something wrong with all of them?

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 05:37 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runelord999 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to move in to New York City in the winter, and am looking to move into somewhere in Queens (Astoria and Forest Hills come to mind). I'll be working around the 59 and Lexington subway stop so I found Queens to be the most suitable area for me.

However, just looking at listings on Craigslist, I can find places for rent at literally any price I feed it. If I set the minimum price for in a place like Astoria for $1000, I see tons of 1 bedroom apartments, even though reading through threads here it suggests rent should be much much more. This is true for any area in NYC it seems.

Why are there so many cheap apartments available when they aren't supposed to be there? Some of them even list the address, and the locations don't seem all that terrible. And since there are so many of these types of listings, they can't all be "bogus", right? Are some of these apartments steals, or do you guys think their is something wrong with all of them?

Any input would be appreciated!
Why don't you take the time to go and check them out and then get back to us ?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,673,890 times
Sadly, there are tons of bogus listings on CL. Is there someone you can stay with here or can your company provide corporate housing for a bit? Once you are familiar with the area it is easy to spot the fakes.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM

27 posts, read 81,058 times
What exactly are "fake" listings? What does the lister get out of it?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM

115 posts, read 343,803 times
They insist in broker's fees in cash, and then proceed to run off with said cash. They'll typically not have an office to go over stuff in, etc.

What's in it for them? The quick cash.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 PM

27 posts, read 81,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2001 View Post
They insist in broker's fees in cash, and then proceed to run off with said cash. They'll typically not have an office to go over stuff in, etc.

What's in it for them? The quick cash.
How would you recommend avoiding these people/situations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or