U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,689,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
NYC is a mixed bag. You have all sorts of people, all sorts of opinions. I tend the see the city tipping to the left though. I have always thought of the overall vibe as open minded. Why the closed in ideas in a lot of post. Does the forum truly reflect the ideas of the average New Yorker, or is it biased considering the type of media (Internet = likely mostly homebodies)?
At risk of sounding like a snob, the conservatives on this board are working-class conservatives who are more concerned with the elite status liberals and affluent transplants while being frustrated with the cost of living in the city. Rich conservatives on the Upper East Side couldnít care less what hipsters are doing in Williamsburg (unless, of course, theyíre occupying Wall Street). I imagine many of their children are hipsters, or at least quasi-hipsters.

In this country urban design and planning are seen as a rich-manís concern. Itís about the overeducated trying to turn every city into Amsterdam (i.e., cafes and bike-sharing) or at least a big college campus. As this is largely a lower-middle to working-class board, these topics donít generate much interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:28 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,925,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Lets have some more post on what's wrong with NYC and how we can make it better? NYC's population is out of control. 8.1 million with a lot of illegal immigrants, millions of annual tourists, out of state + city residents working here, etc in other words is crowded. High cost of living with low quality of life. NYC should make other parts of the borough more attractive to developers and businesses so everything does not revolve around Manhattan.

New Urbanism type development? NYC should work with developers on constructing modern and luxury buildings in non-sex and the city areas. They should be affordable too. (i can do with no doorman, swimming pool, fitness center,etc). The majority of new development is accuring in the sex and the city areas of NYC.

Second Ave Subway? Long over due but who knows how long it will take the MTA to create.

7 Train extension? I don't see the need for this.

NYC Bike Share? Bad idea. This money should go to the failing schools.

Bike lanes/Greenways? I don't see any bike lanes/greenways in Washington Heights so unless this program will expand to the non-sex and the city areas then it should be discontinued. I saw some development plans but not as much as in the sexy parts of Manhattan.

Atlantic Yards Redevelopment? There's a lot of pros and cons on this. It will bring jobs, new housing (although 200 will go to financially strapped people), revenue, etc.

Green South Bronx? The first baby step into turning the south bronx from a ghetto to a respectable neighborhood. Baby step.

BRT across 34th Street.? They should have this type of system in Times Square, Union Square, Columbus Circle, 72nd st, and 125st.

Times Square redevelopment, and the potential effect on other major pedestrian areas of the city? Times Sq is a tourist attraction and a major revenue maker for NYC so the redevelopment will work in NYC's favor. Either cut off all traffic into going into Times Square or create a monorail or shuttle bus system to transport people.

Ban driving through central park? No, doing so will create more traffic.

Failing schools in the poorest districts of the city, and the effect on criminality? This is a big problem. We need more teacher training and assistance. Hire retired and respected teachers as teacher consultants to mentor the teachers at the failing school. Also, the parents of these kids need to step up. It's not the teachers responsibility to raise the kids; it's the teacher's responsibility to educate them.
You are so right on the last part of the post about the school's and teacher's there in the city .It my job to raise my child not the teacher's and it my job to make sure they are ready for the lesson that the teacher is trying to teach them .

To the other part of the post i have no good idea's about that one for i was not born there or grew up in the city .I'm a late comer to the socalled party that is called the NYC along with i have been through NYC at diff point's in my life during the time in the military to work and have allway's found that the city was alive and well in my mindset .

My job has bought me to the city and i like the way i can get around without a vehicle and i love the diff place's there in the city that i can get thing's that i have come to love there in the way of food's to bookstore's there in the city .

So when i ride the subway i do not have a clue about the socalled problem's or thing's that effect the socalled area's because of not really knowing about the grow problems that the area is having and the socalled transplant effect on the area ..

Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM

20,280 posts, read 26,666,586 times
Quote:
The original question:

Ultra conservatives on this forum, do they truly reflect NYC?
And the answer is : NO!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,948,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Ultra conservatives on social issues (abortion, gay rights) probably aren't representative of NY.
David Weprin lost because he voted for marriage redefinition.
gay marriage will lose if put to a vote in this city.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 AM

876 posts, read 1,891,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
David Weprin lost because he voted for marriage redefinition.
gay marriage will lose if put to a vote in this city.

Yes I remember that. Blacks and hispanics are very prejudice towards gays. Has nothing to do with nyers being conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or