Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,566 times

Advertisements

In 199X, I saw a very amusing documentary, Painting the Town, which was about a taxi driver and painter named Richard Osterweil, who was an expert in crashing high-society parties.
I wonder whatever happened to him, and whether he still crashes those parties. I doubt it, though, because, these days (1) party organizers use high-tech means to screen entrants—in his days, Osterweil could make do with photocopied invitations; and (2) because of the Internet, more people now know what Celebrity X looks like—Osterweil once said he was Sao Schlumberger to get past a guard, even though the real Sao Schlumberger was a fat female French socialite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM

168 posts, read 523,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
In 199X, I saw a very amusing documentary, Painting the Town, which was about a taxi driver and painter named Richard Osterweil, who was an expert in crashing high-society parties.
I wonder whatever happened to him, and whether he still crashes those parties. I doubt it, though, because, these days (1) party organizers use high-tech means to screen entrants—in his days, Osterweil could make do with photocopied invitations; and (2) because of the Internet, more people now know what Celebrity X looks like—Osterweil once said he was Sao Schlumberger to get past a guard, even though the real Sao Schlumberger was a fat female French socialite.
I feel that pre crazy NYC security lock-down, it was really easy to crash events -- especially corporate meetings and charity functions at big hotels. I've worked near the Hilton on 6th ave for years, and in the 90s, we used to crash events up in their ballrooms all the time, free food, booze, etc. Now they have hotel staff and private security all over the place.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Really,who cares ?

I can't imagine anything more boring than a NY "society" party.Why in the name of god would anyone want to waste their time ?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Why not?
You'd get to rub elbows with the rich and famous.

Bluedog--your clearly a better more mature person than the rest of us.

Sorry.
I wish I was as cool as you, but I'm not.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Why not?
You'd get to rub elbows with the rich and famous.

Bluedog--your clearly a better more mature person than the rest of us.

Sorry.
I wish I was as cool as you, but I'm not.
No,I'm just old....and jaded.Rubbing elbows with the rich and famous does nothing for me these days.

Hell,I don't even want to go into the city much unless I have to.Can't imagine going there to crash a society party.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
You are "rubbing elbows" with the rich and famous, who don't know who you are, and don't care about you, and when they do know who you are they will shun you. And you want to "rub elbows" with them for what reason? Some of their richness will rub off on you? They will forget you are a peasant and fall in love with you and write you a check for 2 million, and have their daughter marry you?

It has nothing to do with being "too cool", it has to do with respecting yourself, and acknowledging they are no different than me and you, except they have a bigger bank account and likely unscrupulous.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,566 times
But if you hate the rich so much, shouldn't that precisely be a motivation for crashing their parties, as Osterweil did? (I'm not saying pay your way in.) That way, you (1) appropriate part of their money and save on your spending for food and drinks; and (2) are able to feel superior about yourself as you wonder the reception area, thinking snide thoughts about the rich.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Now they do a DNA scan and a blood draw to see if yours is really blue.

After all the trouble they give you a glass of cheap champagne and bore you to death about how hard it is to get help in the Hamptons.

(I remember the movie well Urban.)

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And you want to "rub elbows" with them for what reason? Some of their richness will rub off on you?
It will if you can slip some of the jewelry off them :-)

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
The ultimate gate crashing of nyc parties of the established elitest is from stanley kubricks film eyes shut.

Fidelio anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3hc7...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-17-2011 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City