U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 PM

7 posts, read 10,468 times

Advertisements

I would like to ask you all here for any information you might have on the Isaac houses in upper eastside Manhattan. I've never lived in NYC before, but I have a boyfriend who lives there currently with his elderly grandparents, and he's suggested me joining him. I was trying to do a bit of research on my own and it led me to this forum, and I read around a bit but couldn't really find much on this particular location... I know in the near future we'd find our own place, but I think for the time being he just wants to take care of his grandparents as they've done a lot for him. I guess the main thing I'm concerned about is safety, as I've never lived in or around anything of the sort.

So, is it safe?
Is the general area safe?
What are some things to be on the look out for?
How does it rank in comparison to other pjs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,492,805 times
Isaacs Houses are three public housing buildings located between 93rd and 95th Streets. The area itself is pretty safe. 96st below is the nice, upscale, area of the UES. I can't speak for the housing. I read that 45% of the apts are solely given to adults over the age of 62. This housing project might be different than the rest due to the fact that they give 45% of the apts to the old folks.

Why don't you ask your boyfriend for an honest opinion?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
It's safe...many Seniors come from around the area to eat lunch there ($1.50) and they are obviously not afraid to walk the streets. I don't know what conditions are inside the complex but my guess is that it's about as good as you are going to get with NYCHA.

It's a bit depressing with all the infirm elderly on their walkers...but it comes to us all with time. To see the grounds you would think that 100% of the apartments go to seniors.

And I'm sure some of the apartments have terrific East River views and they are probably large by today's standards. And the complex is surrounded by some pyss elegeant highrises on First Avenue. It is, after all, the Upper East Side.

Take the leap of faith...presuming there's room for the 4 of you and the grandparents aren't NUTS!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 10,468 times
Thank you both for your responses... the building on the inside (hallways) isn't amazing but not bad, but from what I've seen in photos the grandparents apartment is actually decorated quite nice.

Does anyone know if the general area is safe late at night? Say walking back from a night out?

edit: The apt is 2 bedroom has a spacious livingroom, decent bathroom, and an ok sized kitchen. I was impressed by the pictures since his grandmother takes very good care of her apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City