Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM

824 posts, read 2,790,795 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/re...ord-highs.html

Also see the comments. Same as what is discussed here on several threads. I mentioned on another thread that when my lease is up next summer, I will be moving to a place with saner rent. [shameless plug] And isn't City Data a great website to at least get started on a search. [/shameless plug] Where to move is obviously a personal matter, and one has to take into account one's circumstances (do you have children or are single? looking for work or a place to retire? what kind of weather do you like? do you want the amenities of a city or the open spaces of a more rural setting? etc etc etc) But for me, it boils down to rent. I want the amenities of city life (no car; with shops, restaurants, bars within walking distance) BUT with saner rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Are rents going up in other areas as well, or just Manhattan?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
NYC should force or make it attractive to developers to create new apt buildings in the non-sex and the city areas. The reason why rent is increasing is to keep in par with the rents of these new luxury/modern buildings. I wonder if the landlord explained the reason of the increase to the tenants.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/re...ord-highs.html

Also see the comments. Same as what is discussed here on several threads. I mentioned on another thread that when my lease is up next summer, I will be moving to a place with saner rent. [shameless plug] And isn't City Data a great website to at least get started on a search. [/shameless plug] Where to move is obviously a personal matter, and one has to take into account one's circumstances (do you have children or are single? looking for work or a place to retire? what kind of weather do you like? do you want the amenities of a city or the open spaces of a more rural setting? etc etc etc) But for me, it boils down to rent. I want the amenities of city life (no car; with shops, restaurants, bars within walking distance) BUT with saner rent.
Good luck. It's not going to be as easy as you think.

Almost all of the cities that have the qualities you would probably want(amenities,NO NEED FOR A CAR,shops restaurants,dept stores,bars,etc within walking distance,a viable mass transit system,good econmomy,etc (i.e.,truly dynamic urban environments) are either already more expensive or only slightly less expensive than NYC and are experiencing the same phenomenon of rapidly escalating rents.Boston,SF,DC,Chicago,etc rents are going through the roof.

Most of the cities in the US either have no urban core left,no mass transit,economies much worse than NY's or all or some combination of the above.

In essence,any city you would want to live in is expensive.In the few that you might want to live in that aren't too expensive, you will definitely need a car.

Just read this the other day about the Boston rental market:http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-1...-vacancy-rates

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-16-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 09:44 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are rents going up in other areas as well, or just Manhattan?
They are going up across the city as far as I can tell.
The rents in my rather out of the way non trendy Bronx neighborhood have gone up AT LEAST 10% in the last year or so.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
I did, this one caught my attention ↓ ↓ ↓

Quote:
Living in Manhattan is in essence a glorification of the great American social disease: pay more and get less to entertain the fantasy that you are special and bound to become a famous star any day now.

It's the illusion of a race to the top, belied by the reality of a race to the bottom.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I think what intrigues me most are the number of new comers who are willing and able to pay it.

Where the hell does anyone get the money to own/rent in midtown? Everyone can't be doctor's, big time attorneys and investment bankers or celebrities.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
The problem isn't so much the high rents. It's that there isn't an alternative.
Owning a home/property is just as expensive. Owning a home/condo in (even) a decent neighborhood across the 5 boroughs is not a reality for most middle class earners. First, few have the down payment necessary (around 100k at 20%) and secondly, owning a decent home will cost you 2k in mortgage a month alone (even at a 3.5% rate).

Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think what intrigues me most are the number of new comers who are willing and able to pay it.

Where the hell does anyone get the money to own/rent in midtown? Everyone can't be doctor's, big time attorneys and investment bankers or celebrities.
They spend 50% or more of their earnings on rent or live multiple people to a room.
I know of it firsthand.

If you're willing to pay most of your earnings for rent, then making even 30k is enough.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 AM

224 posts, read 347,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
They spend 50% or more of their earnings on rent or live multiple people to a room.
I know of it firsthand.

If you're willing to pay most of your earnings for rent, then making even 30k is enough.
Well, unless they have parental help, you can't spend 50% because they verify income information. At least that's what they did to me in Manhattan (they used my parents income).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: