U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM

16 posts, read 43,352 times

Advertisements

A lot of people are gonna tell you that your not gonna make it, or that you might make it if you live in a really bad area.

But in reality, just do it, if its your mindset to live somewhere go ahead and make it happen, as long as you are very smart with your spending, as well as with your life choices (kids and when its the right time). There's 10 million people living there, do you think they are all making 200k? NO! most of them are just hard working Americans trying to put food on the table, and they are doing just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 PM

21 posts, read 105,386 times
You didn't specifically ask, and no one specifically said $1500 wouuld be sure to get you better than "dingy".
I agree, I did not mention the area, but we were kind of open to that depending on where we could find a decent 1 bdrm apt in Jersey city, may be somewhere like Journal square or Exchange place, we do have an open mind about that.

You said Jersey City, that is rather broad, do you mean Newport, one of the towers on the river? Or, deeper into Jersey City? In Newport 1 bdrms probably run closer to $2K and more.

Also, if you are looking to be among different cultures, then most of the 'trendy' areas that you would consider 'decent' will mostly be filled with people such as yourselves. A bit of a paradox really.
What's wrong with the places being filled with people like me? Isn't that what New York is about, the diversity is what attracts people to the city. I am interested in experiencing different cultures like Indian, Chinese, Italian, etc.

Presuming that eventually you will complete your studies and begin to supplement the household income at least by $40K, then I suggest you live frugally, acceppt a slightly lowered quality of life looking to the day you are a two income household.
I think that is a broad assumption on your part, that I will supplement the income by just $ 40k. I could be studying to become a dentist and would possibly earn 120-150k myself!

At that point, a totalincome of $120-150K or more will provide a couple in NYC and its environs a decent quality of life. Of course, add children to the mix, and your quality of life will suffer. Pushing 40, the children decision s/b a serious aspect of your decision making. Raising a family in NYC is VERY expensive!

I would budget for rent in the $2K range and look to one of the nicer areas in Jersey, Brooklyn or Queens. You could rent for less, but the "dingy" comment suggests the quality level you want is in that range.

And finally, if you can not offer any real help, I think you should just be quiet and prevent your precious neurons from burning out.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Don't listen to this troll. lol
Jcoltrane exaggerates a bit, to say the least.

$1500 will afford you (at the very least) a decent 1 BD outside of most of the isle of Manhattan and certain areas across the rivers in the other boroughs/NJ.

80K will be fine.Especially if you don't have children. NYC is expensive but it's no Tokyo, Switzerland, or Moscow.

I agree, the more I research on the housing areas the better options I am finding to live in.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
If you go by the 40% rule, the highest rent you can afford is $2,000. 80,000/40 Since you have no debt and will be living frugal and not keeping up with the joneses then you should be ok. You also have a lower tax rate in NJ compare to NY so you will save more living in NJ. His job is in the financial district so all he has to do is take the NJ Path Train to the World Trade Center (NJ PAth monthly unlimited pass is $65 compare to the NYC MTA unlimited pass of 104). I believe this will be a great opportunity and a salary upgrade for your husband. It will also look good on the resume that you worked for a fancy company in the financial district.

There are some good parts and bad parts in Jersey City. What part are you looking at?

This is precisely what we were thinking, live in NJ, since he will have to travel to downtown, so take a PATH from say like Journal Square or Exchange place and live somewhere near there

Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I can't speak to Jersey, but my husband and I have lived in Upper Manhattan on less than that and have done fine. As posted previously, ignore the troll.
If I may ask, where in Upper Manhattan were you living?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Java View Post
A lot of people are gonna tell you that your not gonna make it, or that you might make it if you live in a really bad area.

But in reality, just do it, if its your mindset to live somewhere go ahead and make it happen, as long as you are very smart with your spending, as well as with your life choices (kids and when its the right time). There's 10 million people living there, do you think they are all making 200k? NO! most of them are just hard working Americans trying to put food on the table, and they are doing just fine.
I am just asking for opinions derived from personal experience. Maybe there are some people out there who make the same amount of money as we do, maybe they are just young couples living within their means!
Just wanted to know how other people with same background are doing in the Big Apple.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 PM

57 posts, read 78,873 times
This will be a tough one to swing, but by no means impossible. I wonder if the math on your commute works out favorably? I would advise you to look into Brooklyn instead of Jersey City, the cost of using PATH vs. MTA is not trivial and there is a very real bias against Jersey in New York City, you are better of with the city address. I've compared the two in the past and I have been surprised at how competitive Brooklyn can be versus Jersey City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Kat View Post
My husband has been offered a job recently in financial district with a salary of 80k and full health insurance benefits for both of us (We both are on good side of 30 yrs!).
Is this salary enough to live a decent life.

Our idea of decent life:
1. Planning to rent for around 1500/pm, planning to live in Jersey city, so that total commute time is of ~ 45 min one way.
2. We do not party. (Like drinks and dinner out every weekend) We do go out occasionally for dinner like birthday, anniversaries and special occasions, etc.
3. I am a stay at home wife, so I will be cooking all meals, cleaning the house, dishes and laundry (and studying).

So, should he take this job and leave the comfortable life that we have and move into the chaos of NYC, to meet new people and experience different cultures (Which we both love!).

Any help will be appreciated!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti monster View Post
This will be a tough one to swing, but by no means impossible. I wonder if the math on your commute works out favorably? I would advise you to look into Brooklyn instead of Jersey City, the cost of using PATH vs. MTA is not trivial and there is a very real bias against Jersey in New York City, you are better of with the city address. I've compared the two in the past and I have been surprised at how competitive Brooklyn can be versus Jersey City.
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but does your post really say that they shouldn't live in NJ because they won't be liked by people with "city addresses" if they do? WOW. GREAT reason to choose Brooklyn over NJ. I'm sure they will be especially happy when April rolls around and they realize their tax burden is much higher with their "city" address than it would have been with their poor Jersey one.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,488,867 times
Quote:
NJ has a lower tax rate than NY
An Unlimited Monthly NJ Path is 65 vs MTA unlimited of 104
There are a lot of good areas in NJ like Jersey City, Exchange Place, Journal Sq, Hoboken that are close to NYC

Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
When you say Math, do you mean financially or time wise. I think, time wise if we find an apt near Journal Square, or Exchange place it would break down as follows:
At max,
15min to PATH (from the apt)
15 min for PATH ride
7 min to walk from PATH at WTC to 120 Broadway (where the office is located)
So it works out to about 37 min, plus 15 min allocated to any unforeseen obstacles. This should put us at around 45-50 min of commute time.

Financially, we have allocated about $150 per month for transportation.

And as for the bias against NJ, I really do not care to be associated with such people who hold a bias against people depending on how they look, where they live, how they eat, talk or believe or do not believe in. Biased people are not paying my bills.

Last edited by Swat Kat; 10-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City