U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM

21 posts, read 105,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Try Newport for living and shopping (and cut that commute estimate a bit because you are atop a PATH station.)
For nights out it's into Manhattan for frolicKing.

I did it for a long time and it works.

Your money is fine...you have the best supermarket in the nation: SHOPRITE.

Try to avoid the need for a car...that ups the ante annoyingly. And you
might want to strike Journal Square from your A-list
(and the Exchange Place area is desirably referred to as "DOWNTOWN",,,closer to the Hudson is more desirable.)

If you want to buy, be warned, the RE taxes are crucifying.
Any particular reason to avoid Journal Sq area? Also what about Hoboken, is that a good option to consider too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,677,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Kat View Post
If I may ask, where in Upper Manhattan were you living?
here
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/re...heights&st=cse

Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,493,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Kat View Post
Any particular reason to avoid Journal Sq area? Also what about Hoboken, is that a good option to consider too?

Journal Square is all around seedier than Downtown and Newport and will likely involve more walking for the train. Not as safe for midnight walks back home so a cab from the station will involve extra money (and some really annoying cabbies.)

Hoboken is fine but the price is ratcheded up over Jersey City. The Hoboken Waterfront is quite safe and beautiful. It's a younger crowd and a bit more of a "party town."

Have a look around Jersey City Heights too. A bit nicer than Journal Square, cheaper, but farther from the PATH.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 AM

241 posts, read 507,863 times
You need to visit, and see the neighborhoods for yourself.

Journal Square is an entirely different neighborhood than Exchange Place. I also don't entirely understand how you are finding comparable rents in these two areas because Exchange Place should be a bit more expensive near the water.

Desirability for the different neighborhoods go as the following from high to low (usually with commute as the big factor) and therefore rent would adjust accordingly: Hoboken (real high, real popular, really expensive, you may as well consider NY) > Exchange Place (preferred since you'll be working downtown NYC and it's super close to downtown. 1 stop 5 minutes) > Newport (real nice riverfront, real easy shopping / living) > Journal Square (you're well into Jersey. Okay, maybe you're only an extra 10 minutes into Jersey, but it'll be a lot more Jersey than the other neighborhoods which are more of an off-shoot of NYC. This makes a difference in neighborhood vibe and services available.)

I would not move to Journal Square because I wouldn't feel safe. But I know that many would say that it's us transplants who need to "feel safe" that's making the colorful culture disappear from the more desirable neighborhoods in NYC. So, it's a matter of what do you feel comfortable in, and what kind of neighborhood you'd like. Where do you want to go home to.

Also, in budgeting your commute, I am drawing the conclusion that you do not have enough information about living in / around NYC. 15 minutes from PATH is actually rather far. It's like 1 mile. It doesn't sound far to you now because you have a car, and 1 mile the car barely got warmed up. It's somewhat far if it's snowing. Also, it'd FEEL far when everywhere else you go is within blocks. I know it's all about the budget, and maybe that's a compromise you'd have to make. Certainly plenty people make it. But I don't know if you've thought about it from this angle, and I just want to bring it to your attention. Distance works in strange ways in NYC (same reasons why Journal Square so so much more Jersey than Exchange Place)

Parking, there are different options available. Conservatively, you should budget $200 / month. That's the cost if you live in a luxury building (which is what Exchange Place and Newport has to offer). Again, there are different options like constantly looking for street parking. I never tried maintaining a car, so I don't know. Everyone I know who maintains a car parks in a garage (but that's just from the people I know, I'm sure there is a different way if budget is the driver. But if budget is the driver, you should just ditch the car.)

You need to visit.

Last edited by yee8p; 10-19-2011 at 12:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City