Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Pelham Gardens is still about 50% white, and it's very nice there. Have you ever even been there?
Many you guys need to check out Pelham Garden during Xmas. So many homes are decorated in Xmas cheer and spirit. ITs really lovely during that time.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I met many Ricans who live in Throgs neck area and live well and comfortable among the Irish and Italians. I even met a Puerto Rican who owns his own home on City Island and he throws BBQs for his neigbors. There are lots of Puerto RIcans named Tony Vinny, Joey names tehy will fit right in with the Italians. But also many Ricans are moving out of the Bronx all together.People move big deal. The wasps moved out of NYC because to many Irish, Italians and Jews AKA Euro races moved into NYC.
I use to know a Puerto Rican cop who resided in Country Club. When I first met him, I actually though he was Italian lol.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Many you guys need to check out Pelham Garden during Xmas. So many homes are decorated in Xmas cheer and spirit. ITs really lovely during that time.
Right,especially the Garabedian's House @ 1605 Pelham Parkway ! OMG!
Definitely proof that The Bronx is not all bad !

Big City - A Public Christmas Display, and a Very Private Miracle - NYTimes.com

Home(check out the photo album!)

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/8189984.jpg

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-21-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Pelham Gardens is still about 50% white, and it's very nice there. Have you ever even been there?
Quote:
LOL you worry to much. As for the gangs you have to be worried about of course. Down in the South Bronx such as Mott Haven the biggest gang is the Bloods its mostly AA and the AA are a minority in that area. In the west Bronx you have to worry about Dominican gangs such as DDP and Trinitarios who are from Washington Heights and now are a major power on the streets of the Bronx. Latin King you dont have to worry about, there not as big also leaderless and divided. A gang to watch out for is ABI or Albanian Boys Incorporated. Many blacks in the South Bronx are moving to the North Bronx like Coop City and WIlliamsbridge while many blacks from Harlem are moving to the South Bronx. Yes many Puerto Ricans are moving to east Bronx and South East Bronx. I met many Ricans who live in Throgs neck area and live well and comfortable among the Irish and Italians. I even met a Puerto Rican who owns his own home on City Island and he throws BBQs for his neigbors. There are lots of Puerto RIcans named Tony Vinny, Joey names tehy will fit right in with the Italians. But also many Ricans are moving out of the Bronx all together.People move big deal. The wasps moved out of NYC because to many Irish, Italians and Jews AKA Euro races moved into NYC.
Quote:
I use to know a Puerto Rican cop who resided in Country Club. When I first met him, I actually though he was Italian lol.
Oh boy...

Many Puerto Ricans ARE WHITE. Many others are close enough.

Puerto Rican is not a race. The island is an unincorporated territory of the United States, formally part of the SPANISH EMPIRE.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Many PR have been here for years and are super assimilated at this point. Of course they are going to blend in with the Irish and Italian. I dont know why this is surprising to some people.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Oh boy...

Many Puerto Ricans ARE WHITE. Many others are close enough.

Puerto Rican is not a race. The island is an unincorporated territory of the United States, formally part of the SPANISH EMPIRE.
The vast majority of PRs in this city don't consider themselves white.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Many PR have been here for years and are super assimilated at this point. Of course they are going to blend in with the Irish and Italian. I dont know why this is surprising to some people.
Tell me about it.

Many Puerto Ricans in the NYC area no longer go by Puerto Rican but simply American. You can find Puerto Ricans at every socioeconomic level in NYC and the surrounding metropolitan area too. In all types of communities, very assimilated.

Quote:
The vast majority of PRs in this city don't consider themselves white.
But many do, and many more could. Like groups before them Puerto Ricans will eventually mostly assimilate.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Also many Puerto Ricans have an authentic New York City accent. Sometimes its hard to tell if whos Italian or PR. At this point I hardly care anymore. Puerto Ricans always assimlate to any group of people from ghetto blacks, to Dominicans, to Italians and even yuppie waspy wannabes, to Goths and Hipsters.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

The borough has always had challenges, and this is nothing new. But much of the area has and is seeing substantial investment, and it does need a good polishing as many areas appear run down. But those changes are happening, and 2020 will see the borough in a completely different light, more mixed income, massive new developments online, and IMO it will be ready for mainstream appeal.
Still, when I look for hope these days, I tend to look less often to external signs of progress such as housing reconstruction which can be too rapidly arrested and reversed by shifts in public policy than to the words and wishes of the people of the community.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmash View Post
Nothings getting better in the Bronx, if anything, it's getting worse lol. Especially places like Pelham Bay all the Section 8 welfare people are trying to move in. And along with them comes gangs and sh*t like that and out the white people go. East Tremont used to be all Italian now you got all these crappy low class places opening up and attracting drug dealers and other latin street gang types.

By the way I could care a less what you people on this forum think of my views, It's the TRUTH. I don't sugar coat sh*t. South Bronx was all white-Real nice and safe then all the welfare people came in AND GUESS WHAT!! (= All the freakin buildings burned down as soon as they left.

Really? I've lived here most my life and I feel a lot safer now, then I did pre-2000. Totally different times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City