U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,323,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The Bronx is gradually getting better. Many neighborhoods are being restored, and cleaned up. 20-30 years ago, it was a disaster.
Yes and unfortunately that reputation still persists and that is the "Bronx" people still see in movies/detective shows.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,233,397 times
I find it hard to believe that any sane NYer would believe that South Bronx is still a burned out shell.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM

518 posts, read 1,348,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I find it hard to believe that any sane NYer would believe that South Bronx is still a burned out shell.
really? when I was telling my family I was moving up here all I kept hearing about was the "vacant lots and burned out buildings..." And thats my brothers who are mid 30's and not "totallY" crazy. Just fear and ignorace mixing with TV fantasy...terrible pity - Im in Pelham Parkway South now - no bombed out lots to be had...SO much quieter than Woodhaven. One family to a unit....what a concept!

I think Im going to love it here.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 PM

You know I have my mindset on South Bronx. No diss but are you're bros from midwest or something? I mean NYers don't believe that anymore.

I don't know about Pelham or Throggs Neck since South Bronx is my stomping ground.
But it ain't Queens ya know. All the best in life to ya!...I destroyed mine.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 10-24-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,638,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Really? I've lived here most my life and I feel a lot safer now, then I did pre-2000. Totally different times.
Violent crime is down but safety is a state of mind. Violent crime is still a major problem in much of the Bronx. The shells may be mostly gone but they have been replaced with low wage often single parent households that breed social issues.

Plus most of the crime that has gone down was between organized drug gangs, drug addicts, gangs, street people. If you stayed outside this circle in the past your chance of being a victim of a violent crime was low. Higher then an area with less issues due to criminality saturation, but not guernenteed dodging bullets day to day. Past violence is highly exaggerated for the average person. Today, get involved and it is still very dangerous. You can still realistically get mugged in the poor parts of the Bronx. Unfortunately it's the worst for children who often interact with everyone in the surrounding community via school networking and bordem.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,803,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vingeance View Post
anyway, why does the bronx get so much hate and why is everyone so afraid to step foot in there?
The technical term for this condition is "ignorance." It is often spread by the media, or simply listening to things other people say and parroting their uninformed opinions. Unfortunately, nobody has yet invented a pill to cure it. As we say in this town, waddaya gonna do?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Violent crime is down but safety is a state of mind.
The fear of violence is a state of mind. Your "state of mind" usually not affect you're chance of becoming an victim or not.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
You know I have my mindset on South Bronx. No diss but are you're bros from midwest or something? I mean NYers don't believe that anymore.

I don't know about Pelham or Throggs Neck since South Bronx is my stomping ground.
But it ain't Queens ya know. All the best in life to ya!...I destroyed mine.
Not from the midwest Whitock- just scared and hurt as children in a rough public school , so they pointed that fear towards minorities - We are PR & Italian, so that's sort of "funny" to me...but I consider my self American - I have no accent - 2nd gen born here - and we always ate Italin food - so I sort of "see" how they can seperate the two emotionally- logically it makes no sense.

Getting back to the original point - The Bronx being so immense, it is impossible to paint it with one stroke. I dont know much about the Bronx - did a 5 week stint in Morrissania a few weeks back - no amenities, a lot of people just hanging around, really loud nightitme house parties and a handful of grassy trash filled lots. Not to mention this wicked steep hill I had to traverse 2x a day...I never felt in danger there - I just felt "poor". Everything was dirty and there were people stinking drunk in the AM's wandering around - it was odd. And if that was all I ever saw of the BX - I would NEVER go back

5 stops away the quality of life is a lot higer. I see families, no drunks or bums. No grassy lots and a lot of ameneties. I am 2 blocks from the 2/5 Pelham stop - and the zoo is very close - I am pretty sure thats why the area didnt fall into such decay. I saw on News 12 that White Plains Rd is getting a 13M makeover - I see the construction all up and down the strip.

I hope the So Bronx gets a face lift. NYC is so full, I cant imagine living there any more. We have 1100Sq ft of living space - and that's perfect - I hear of 600 ft 1 bed rooms and I say "what?" People need room. We are a 55 minute train ride to 42nd street & 7th ave. Down from 1.5 hours from Woodhaven and 3 trains!!

- Again, I cant thank Bluedog2 enough - If it wasn't for his posts and helpful advise - I would have NEVER investigated this area.

And Whitlock - I hope it was worth it...

Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,612,758 times
Well not to worry because the Southern Bronx is getting a major face lift, and if you spent some time in Melrose, you would know first hand of the immense facelift that has and is occuring.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well not to worry because the Southern Bronx is getting a major face lift, and if you spent some time in Melrose, you would know first hand of the immense facelift that has and is occuring.
I hope so SoBroGuy - I dont like to think of any borough as a dumping ground , or the people who live there either by choice or by circumstance as being "dumped"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or