U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 AM
 
770 posts, read 891,039 times
Reputation: 529

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
when you say the way they were treated or taught you were worth nothing are you referring to their parent's or society. Those things are learned at home.
***********************************************

That is part of the problem for sure. Herr Sobro blames society, but I believe the blame for one's raising should go to the family in a large part.

However, both Herr Sobro and I agree that a lack of Dads in homes really puts the sons in [SIZE=3]jeopardy. Role models are cirtical for young men. It truly takes two parents to raise a family in many cases, especially in bad neighborhoods. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

 
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,802 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Reputation: 7513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
***********************************************

That is part of the problem for sure. Herr Sobro blames society, but I believe the blame for one's raising should go to the family in a large part.

However, both Herr Sobro and I agree that a lack of Dads in homes really puts the sons in [SIZE=3]jeopardy. Role models are cirtical for young men. It truly takes two parents to raise a family in many cases, especially in bad neighborhoods. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I also agree, single parent homes is a huge cause for concern and can lead to problems foe both male and female youths growing up in those enviornments. Single parent homes create a cycle of deprivation. This is not immunr to the bronx in fact most households in nyc are headed by single mothers. I wonder how much child support money these women collect. A good thing I usually go for out of town white women. if I ever dated a nyc girl no doubt I would be paying child support, or even worse raising a kid thata not yours.
 
Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Sunset Park, Brooklyn
423 posts, read 1,102,538 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
***********************************************

That is part of the problem for sure. Herr Sobro blames society, but I believe the blame for one's raising should go to the family in a large part.

However, both Herr Sobro and I agree that a lack of Dads in homes really puts the sons in [SIZE=3]jeopardy. Role models are cirtical for young men. It truly takes two parents to raise a family in many cases, especially in bad neighborhoods. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Of course a large part of the blame goes to the family. When someone blames "society" they're not necessarily blaming TV and rap music, they could also be blaming the problems that have gone on for HUNDREDS of years!
 
Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,296,286 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
but unfortunately I think there are many residents who make it really bad for those existing residents who are trying to save the Bronx. I will not go as far as saying that there are more people doing bad than good because I do not have those statistics, but in the areas that I work around the Bronx I see a lot of bad going on.
And it is really sad.
Chances are that there physically aren't more bad people: You just hear about them more often. You always hear the news talking about shootouts and whatnot, but you don't here them talking about the positives that happen.

In all cases, it's the 5-10% that are causing the trouble for the other 90-95%.
 
Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM
 
669 posts, read 1,036,593 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I also agree, single parent homes is a huge cause for concern and can lead to problems foe both male and female youths growing up in those enviornments. Single parent homes create a cycle of deprivation. This is not immunr to the bronx in fact most households in nyc are headed by single mothers. I wonder how much child support money these women collect. A good thing I usually go for out of town white women. if I ever dated a nyc girl no doubt I would be paying child support, or even worse raising a kid thata not yours.

In my anthropology class we learned that when children are raised my only their mothers they tend to be a lot more emotional then when children are raised by their fathers alone of with both parents. Thats what leads to all these ghetto black girls that seem to be mad all the time for no reason and these hood dudes that are really like females they way their so sensitive and ready to beat your ass or kill you over the littlest thing.

Lol thats if you date a hood NYC girl, most girls I date are from the city but arent ghetto.
 
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM
 
770 posts, read 891,039 times
Reputation: 529
Red face Sobro Soap box

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
when you say the way they were treated or taught you were worth nothing are you referring to their parent's or society. Those things are learned at home.
Sobro,

When people act like like hoods, why would any decent people want to stay in 'da hood?

Please cut the 1960 comments. Just because it was much better and more white, does not make it false. You act like the Bronx is more 'legitimate now or something.

White people left the Bronx not because of good black/brown people, they left because of bad black/brown people. Simple as that.

Yes, there was a lot of my fellow guidos running parts of NY. That was terrible, but there is less now. However, the Russian mobsters are taking up the slack.
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 AM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,555,711 times
Reputation: 4168
I cannot cut the 1960 comments, otherwise we are pretending the past doesn't matter. If you Dad beat you up as a child, and killed your mother, would you say "forget what happened 30 years ago, none of that matter today." Would you agree with that statement? The answer is no, because what happened 30 years ago had a big part in making you the person you are today whether you want to admit that or not.

That being said, people prefer not to be around the hood element, and I agree and am one of those people. But if you believe keeping decent people out of the hood is the answer, it is not. Integrating people into the mainstream, showing a light at the end of the tunnel, diversifying the economic and social base, and providing the resources to move forward are the only answers. And that is what is happening in the community, and we see the changes first hand. It is just another step in taking the community to the next level.
 
Old 11-01-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: MCO
91 posts, read 173,543 times
Reputation: 65
[quote=bluedog2;21337547]

I would agree however that there are far too many Escalades on the streets in Pelham Bay......At this point I'm sure word is out in the hoods that the streets of Pelham Bay are paved with Escalade parts !

\quote]

On 10/26 DAS posted a link to a NYT photo gallery of Mott Haven that contained this slide:

Living in Mott Haven - Slide Show - NYTimes.com


Notice the kiddie car in the Mott Haven garden is an Escalade...
 
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,555,711 times
Reputation: 4168
That's pretty funny. I did not notice that..but what does that mean? Not much..it used to be jeeps, or race cars, now it's escalades...so what? Tomorrow it will be convertibles.
 
Old 11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
 
Location: MCO
91 posts, read 173,543 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's pretty funny. I did not notice that..but what does that mean? Not much..it used to be jeeps, or race cars, now it's escalades...so what? Tomorrow it will be convertibles.
I don't know if it means anything.... just thought it was funny. But... when I was a kid my kiddie car was a Buick Skylark. 30 yrs later I owned 2 Buick Centuries, the Skylark of the 2000's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top