U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 AM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,560,437 times
Reputation: 4168

Advertisements

Unless you are over 70, there is no reason to drive a Buick of any kind. A Skylark? Geez..not only was it a horrible car, it was very ugly.

 
Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 AM
 
770 posts, read 891,379 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I cannot cut the 1960 comments, otherwise we are pretending the past doesn't matter. If you Dad beat you up as a child, and killed your mother, would you say "forget what happened 30 years ago, none of that matter today." Would you agree with that statement? The answer is no, because what happened 30 years ago had a big part in making you the person you are today whether you want to admit that or not.

That being said, people prefer not to be around the hood element, and I agree and am one of those people. But if you believe keeping decent people out of the hood is the answer, it is not. Integrating people into the mainstream, showing a light at the end of the tunnel, diversifying the economic and social base, and providing the resources to move forward are the only answers. And that is what is happening in the community, and we see the changes first hand. It is just another step in taking the community to the next level.
Sobro,

Intergration is the answner? Are you on drugs? PLEASE show me some stats in schools that prove this. Did neighborhoods get more prosperous? Intergration will only succeed when minorities EMBRACE the mainstream culture (gee, like the Dutch, Irish, German, Italian, Polish, etc. in the 19th and 20th centuries did in NY) and strives to become American. The past is important and is more than prologue. But you constantly deride me and others who recall with clarity the Bronx of our youth. We know our past, and saw what it morphed into.

The next level is self empowerment through self improvement. Shun the 'gangster hip hop sub culture that traps young people into an econoimc and social limbo and encourage them to be more mainstream. Middle Class blacks need to take this on, rather than blamnig "the man".
 
Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,560,437 times
Reputation: 4168
Well we know what isn't the answer..segregation. And we all have the stats on this...so clearly integration is the answer. And it was never about people of color not wanting to be a part of mainstream America...as you recall..they were NOT ALLOWED to be a part of mainstream America..for say..I dunno..400 years or so...until about the 1960s. Why are you trying to rewrite history as if people of color shunned America? America shunned them!!! You like to believe integration doesn't work..but it's because whites didn't want it to work, not because blacks didn't. More revisionist history by you as usual...

And this is why I deride you...because you try to rewrite history. You don't know your past, or the past of America, you just believe whatever it is you want.
 
Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
 
770 posts, read 891,379 times
Reputation: 529
Cool Sobro's Victimhood History

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well we know what isn't the answer..segregation. And we all have the stats on this...so clearly integration is the answer. And it was never about people of color not wanting to be a part of mainstream America...as you recall..they were NOT ALLOWED to be a part of mainstream America..for say..I dunno..400 years or so...until about the 1960s. Why are you trying to rewrite history as if people of color shunned America? America shunned them!!! You like to believe integration doesn't work..but it's because whites didn't want it to work, not because blacks didn't. More revisionist history by you as usual...

And this is why I deride you...because you try to rewrite history. You don't know your past, or the past of America, you just believe whatever it is you want.
**********************************************

I think in order for your perferated mind to wrap itself around a concept before you start leaking out "victimhood," you need to expand your outlook.

Apparently, you only see history from your perspective. You have to take a wide view. Since America is composed of so many people and groups, you have to grasp the larger picture.

It has been 50 years since Johnson's Great Society and billions of dollars spent on leveling the playing field--but when Afro Americans don't show up for the game, they will remain losers. Look up what Bill Cosby (OMG, Webster Ave Guy is quoting a Black man!) has to say about the failure of the past two generations of American Blacks to build upon the foundation made by those in the Civil Rights era.

The very education that Black (and white) Americans marched for, were assaulted by the KKK, police, dogs, and idiots for was evetually belatedly granted. However, current generations don't see education the way the plantiffs in Brown vs. Board of Education in Topeka as a right of every American. Many (certainly not all) don't take advantage of the educational system in the US. T

There is almost no statistical difference in classroom performance in schools that have a majority of minority students and those that that are intergrated among Black students. The school location, classroom size, % of diverstiy, does not change the sad fact that Blacks lag far behind their mainstream peers, even after massive amounts of money are applied to fix it. Oh, did I mention that Asians as a whole, out perform Whites?

Wake up my brother and smell the coffee. We have to compete against the world. Victimhood is an excuse now--not a way forward.

Dude, I call them like I see them, but at least I TRY to have an open mind.
 
Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,840 posts, read 17,423,298 times
Reputation: 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Sobro,

Intergration is the answner? Are you on drugs? PLEASE show me some stats in schools that prove this. Did neighborhoods get more prosperous? Intergration will only succeed when minorities EMBRACE the mainstream culture (gee, like the Dutch, Irish, German, Italian, Polish, etc. in the 19th and 20th centuries did in NY) and strives to become American. The past is important and is more than prologue. But you constantly deride me and others who recall with clarity the Bronx of our youth. We know our past, and saw what it morphed into.

The next level is self empowerment through self improvement. Shun the 'gangster hip hop sub culture that traps young people into an econoimc and social limbo and encourage them to be more mainstream. Middle Class blacks need to take this on, rather than blamnig "the man".
Intergration will only work if everyone is like minded and homogenous, which also includes thought process, income level, culture and religion. If there is too much differences then intergration will fail and others will feel rejected and shunned by society. Dutch, Irish, Italian and Polish were socialized into being an American. Prior to World War II those Europeans were known as Euroraces. Even a Wasps would ever dare entering poor dangerous white sections of Brooklyn and the BRonx like Mott Haven. From what I read the Bronx was already destroyed by the 1950s well South BRonx that is. Robert Moses destroyed the BRonx and not the Blacks and Puerto Ricans. Building houosing projects, building highways in neigorhoods like on East Tremont which destroyed a hard working Jewish are which had good relations with Blacks. Closing of many blue collar jobs along the Bronx water front created the mess for its future. What destroyed the BRonx is drugs of the crack cocaine epedimic which plagued mostly Blacks and Puerto Ricans. Whites mostly used Heroien unless whites were poor and only could afford Crack. I can agree is that empowerment is needed aswell as self improvement and positive role models instead of Hip Hop artists and Basketball players. Hip Hop culture is not the answer, I always tell people life is not about Jordans, Hennesy, playstation2, and baby phat. Its not only blacks but also Hispanics who are into the culture, go to West Bronx and look at those single parent Dominican women who wear Jordans sky blue jeans and a white belt with studs. I SMH. GO to ITalian parts of the Bronx and you will mistaken locals for Puerto Ricans but tehy are Italian and they wear wife beaters, Jordans and Yankee baseball cap. Ghetto culture is rampant in the Bronx. I also tell white transplants life is not about iphones, flip flops, and starbucks. These are the two counter cultures that I despise on.
 
Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,560,437 times
Reputation: 4168
More revisionist history....Blacks don't show up for the game? Since when? They have always wanted to show up for the game, but are never allowed in to play. Why is that called playing the victim or an excuse? It is called reality. Is it an excuse that blacks don't have a level playing field? If you believe they do...there is nothing left to talk about...that has never been the case and still isn't the case.

Until that changes...blacks will continue to show up for the game, and the few times they are now allowed to play, the game is rigged in favor of the team who created the game, officiates the game, makes up the rules to make sure a certain team wins, has the best training facilities and resources, and best trainers. And people like you, who are completely ignorant to the above facts, or believe because they are both playing the game in uniform that they are "equal" simply blame the black folks for losing everytime because "they are not trying hard enough" or "playing the victim card" or "keep complaining they don't have a chance". Funny how that happens.
 
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM
 
770 posts, read 891,379 times
Reputation: 529
Default A Double Shot of Expresso is Prescibed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
More revisionist history....Blacks don't show up for the game? Since when? They have always wanted to show up for the game, but are never allowed in to play. Why is that called playing the victim or an excuse? It is called reality. Is it an excuse that blacks don't have a level playing field? If you believe they do...there is nothing left to talk about...that has never been the case and still isn't the case.

Until that changes...blacks will continue to show up for the game, and the few times they are now allowed to play, the game is rigged in favor of the team who created the game, officiates the game, makes up the rules to make sure a certain team wins, has the best training facilities and resources, and best trainers. And people like you, who are completely ignorant to the above facts, or believe because they are both playing the game in uniform that they are "equal" simply blame the black folks for losing everytime because "they are not trying hard enough" or "playing the victim card" or "keep complaining they don't have a chance". Funny how that happens.
*****************************************

You need to travel. Go to the south, go to Europe, go to the Mideast. Your perspective is about as broad as a gnat's hind quarter. Go to Africa too, that will really enlighten you.

Too bad City Forum can't gift you a box of kleenex.
 
Old 11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,560,437 times
Reputation: 4168
I am more traveled than you think, as I am educated outside of the metropolitan area and have lived in the South, traveled to Europe etc. My perspective is one that sees the bigger picture, not one who has a very 4th grade perspective of the world and society we live in, which would be you.

Too bad city-data can't gift you a history text book, and turn you into a black man for a month. Maybe then you will be able to stop rewriting history and recognize the society we had and still have.
 
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
 
770 posts, read 891,379 times
Reputation: 529
Cool Watermellon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am more traveled than you think, as I am educated outside of the metropolitan area and have lived in the South, traveled to Europe etc. My perspective is one that sees the bigger picture, not one who has a very 4th grade perspective of the world and society we live in, which would be you.

Too bad city-data can't gift you a history text book, and turn you into a black man for a month. Maybe then you will be able to stop rewriting history and recognize the society we had and still have.
************************************************

My son,

You are forgiven for your sins of historical intolerance, one sided view of the black experience, canonization of victimhood, your unfailing crippling inability to consider facts that don't support your world view, self delusion, acerbic responses, and general bullying of those that don't share your views.

Go forth and seek contrition.

Ask for guidance from St. Jonas Bronck on how to fix that which is broken, petition St. Christopher to carry away the burden of your ignorance on his broad shoulder, beseech St. Michael to vanquish the demon of victimhood which stiffles your heart, and finally, ask Mother Theresa to burst the shackles of ego which bind you to blind self righteousness.

May all on the board forgive you for your sins and straying from the path of historical truth.

And finally, may the Bronx River Alliance wash away the stupidty that clouds your mind.

Amen.
 
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM
 
669 posts, read 1,036,945 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Intergration will only work if everyone is like minded and homogenous, which also includes thought process, income level, culture and religion. If there is too much differences then intergration will fail and others will feel rejected and shunned by society. Dutch, Irish, Italian and Polish were socialized into being an American. Prior to World War II those Europeans were known as Euroraces. Even a Wasps would ever dare entering poor dangerous white sections of Brooklyn and the BRonx like Mott Haven. From what I read the Bronx was already destroyed by the 1950s well South BRonx that is. Robert Moses destroyed the BRonx and not the Blacks and Puerto Ricans. Building houosing projects, building highways in neigorhoods like on East Tremont which destroyed a hard working Jewish are which had good relations with Blacks. Closing of many blue collar jobs along the Bronx water front created the mess for its future. What destroyed the BRonx is drugs of the crack cocaine epedimic which plagued mostly Blacks and Puerto Ricans. Whites mostly used Heroien unless whites were poor and only could afford Crack. I can agree is that empowerment is needed aswell as self improvement and positive role models instead of Hip Hop artists and Basketball players. Hip Hop culture is not the answer, I always tell people life is not about Jordans, Hennesy, playstation2, and baby phat. Its not only blacks but also Hispanics who are into the culture, go to West Bronx and look at those single parent Dominican women who wear Jordans sky blue jeans and a white belt with studs. I SMH. GO to ITalian parts of the Bronx and you will mistaken locals for Puerto Ricans but tehy are Italian and they wear wife beaters, Jordans and Yankee baseball cap. Ghetto culture is rampant in the Bronx. I also tell white transplants life is not about iphones, flip flops, and starbucks. These are the two counter cultures that I despise on.
Good post so true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top