U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,550,014 times

Advertisements

Webster..only knowledge can save you...turn off Fox News and stop repeating the Herman Cain deflection of "You are to the only one to blame if you don't have a job." That's not true and never has, although many would have you believe that.

I will give you kudos for mentioning the Bronx River Alliance...they like other grass roots organizations are making profound changes.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 AM

770 posts, read 890,612 times
Cool Ave Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Webster..only knowledge can save you...turn off Fox News and stop repeating the Herman Cain deflection of "You are to the only one to blame if you don't have a job." That's not true and never has, although many would have you believe that.

I will give you kudos for mentioning the Bronx River Alliance...they like other grass roots organizations are making profound changes.

Sobro, my dearest lost child,

It is amazing, but Liberals often have the most closed minds of all. The college campus, controlled by the PC mob, is the most ardent assaulters of free speech.

As an aside, I hardly watch Fox, its so shrill and one sided and it lacks balance--despite the networks mantra.

But, MSNBC is worse. NPR is not much better.

Perhaps the good reverand Al Sharpton can wash away his sins in the Bronx River. And afterwards, baptize you.

I salute the Bronx River Alliance. What a great organization. Glad we can agree about something.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM

I am not a liberal, nor a conservative, just someone who understands our history, understands our economy, understands what is happening behind the scenes, and how all of these are interelated.

I don't like Fox News, but the only problem I have with MSNBC is that they spend too much time correcting all the factual "misrepresentations" of Fox and their ilk. They need to spend more time on actually reporting and raising issues, less time policing Fox News, although I enjoy learning the real facts.

Al Sharpton, why even him bring him up exactly?

There are many local organizations in the Bronx making huge impacts...the Bronx River Alliance is just one. We probably agree on most things, I just provide a different side of the discussion.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up Al Sharpton

Quote:
I am not a liberal, nor a conservative, just someone who understands our history, understands our economy, understands what is happening behind the scenes, and how all of these are interelated.

I don't like Fox News, but the only problem I have with MSNBC is that they spend too much time correcting all the factual "misrepresentations" of Fox and their ilk. They need to spend more time on actually reporting and raising issues, less time policing Fox News, although I enjoy learning the real facts.

Al Sharpton, why even him bring him up exactly?

There are many local organizations in the Bronx making huge impacts...the Bronx River Alliance is just one. We probably agree on most things, I just provide a different side of the discussion.

Well, Al Sharpton bangs the victimhood drum very loudly, and sets a lousy example.

From what I ken from your comments, you are more intelligent and informed that that 'Reverend.'

I recall when the Bronx River was green. Even swam in it. Thank goodness it's coming back, and thank goodness for the BRA. Great group of folks. I think the kid trips they put together, combining fun and education, is tremendous.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:48 PM

3,057 posts, read 6,134,352 times
This thread is a prime example of how intense arguments are over the Bronx.

Having said that, during my 4 and a half years here, I have seen some real wonderful neighborhoods. I also have seen what is considered the hood!

The OP has made an observation. If you define "not all that bad" as "not every neighborhood in the Bronx is bad", then I do believe that the OP is correct. At the same time, yes there are some neighborhoods that live up to their bad reps!

I don't see any problem in the OP's statement. The OP may have believed that the entire borough was to be avoided (the key word is "entire"), until he/she saw a neighborhood for his/herself.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 AM

8 posts, read 16,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I agree with Joeysmash. He has a point. I was born and still live in the Bronx. I also own property in the Bronx as I am a landlord. My apartment building is located in the Norwood section of the Bronx which was once (not too long ago) mainly a Irish and Jewish community. From my PERSONAL experience as a business owner and a person who pays attention to trends that may effect my business, the "ghettoness" that once was mainly confined to areas below Bedford Park, are and have been showing their ugly heads in the traditionally "nicer" Northern sections of the Bronx such as Norwood, Mosholu and Van Cortlandt. The demographics in these area are rapidly changing for the worse. That's not good for business, especially for someone like me that want to preserve what ever desirable qualities Norwood still has to offer.

Just like a storm cloud or cold front that moves from west to east or south to north, the GHETTO cloud or GHETTO front is unfortunately moving or migrating NORTH. Not a good thing for me since I am heavily invested in keeping Norwood desirable for the sake of my livelihood.

Based on my observations, ALL the displaced Dominicans from Washington Heights and all the displaced Blacks from Harlem and Brooklyn have been migrating to the Bronx, specifically the Northern sections of the Bronx. I guess cause the rent is cheaper here than where they're coming from. The same migration goes for people that live in the "ghetto" hot zones aka the south Bronx (south of Fordham Rd) as they to have a desire to move to what they view as a nicer (compared to the south Bronx) Northern Bronx to escape the full blown hood.

Little do this "Angels" realize that they TO ARE GHETTO themselves (they need to take a good look at the mirror) and are the very same people that contributed to the ghettoness of their former south bronx neighborhood. So now when these people move to the North Bronx from those areas, they bring their cancerous lifestyle and culture with them to ghettofy the North Bronx.

Is it just me or does anyone else that lives in the Bronx, especially the Northern sections of the Bronx see that?
I live in the Northeastern section of the Bronx and could not agree with you more.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 AM

Default You are right

My Friend,

I used to work in a deli on 204th a long time ago before the Bronx imploded (in the 1970s). Your description is on target. White dispora out of the Bronx was due to many factors, but from those in my old neighborhood by Kingsbridge and Fordham, the uncivil 'dark tide' is what compelled the majority of my neighbors to seek refuge elsewhere, away from the growing crime, uncivil behavior, and ugly subculture that acted like a locust swarm. We left too.

Good luck in your business. Norwood was lovely. From the Oval to Webster Ave/204th street was where we hung out, first fell in love, learned to ride bikes (mine was stolen at knife point by two black teens--after my parents saved up to buy it from Honic's Parkway store), and play ball on Moshalu parkway.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Webster Ave Guy just to clarify your statements, since you like to leave out major factors:

1. The uncivil "dark tide" of which you speak is an interesting statement. One could say that whites created that "dark tide" themselves..it's kinda what happens when you take people and turn them into slaves, with no education, no equality, and treat them like animals, for hundreds of years. After awhile, they kinda believe it. Umm...so you create the animal, and then complain it pees on the carpet. You then paint the picture that you (whites) are the true victims in all this cuz you had to move. Really? Wow.

2. The reality is that your friends, neighbors, and family were just as uncivil, criminal, and ugly subculture of those "darkies" you detest so. As if crime only began in NYC once those "darkies" appeared. I suppose the Irish, Jewish, Italian mobs were just christmas carolers, and all those horrific slums just needed some paint and flowers. And let's not forget, Norwood was an idyllic paradise, crime free!

So while you complain about your bike being stolen from two black teens, those 2 black teens are complaining about their past, present and future being stolen by you. But hey...you are the real victim here right? Amazing.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Webster Ave Guy just to clarify your statements, since you like to leave out major factors:

1. The uncivil "dark tide" of which you speak is an interesting statement. One could say that whites created that "dark tide" themselves..it's kinda what happens when you take people and turn them into slaves, with no education, no equality, and treat them like animals, for hundreds of years. After awhile, they kinda believe it. Umm...so you create the animal, and then complain it pees on the carpet. You then paint the picture that you (whites) are the true victims in all this cuz you had to move. Really? Wow.

2. The reality is that your friends, neighbors, and family were just as uncivil, criminal, and ugly subculture of those "darkies" you detest so. As if crime only began in NYC once those "darkies" appeared. I suppose the Irish, Jewish, Italian mobs were just christmas carolers, and all those horrific slums just needed some paint and flowers. And let's not forget, Norwood was an idyllic paradise, crime free!

So while you complain about your bike being stolen from two black teens, those 2 black teens are complaining about their past, present and future being stolen by you. But hey...you are the real victim here right? Amazing.

My Dad and Mom saved their pennies for that bike and did without so that I and my brothers and sisters could ride it. Neither one of my parents had a HS diploma, so you can imagine their work options. I was riding on Webster Ave with my brother (I was 8 and he was 9) when those Afro-American teenagers put a switchblade to our throats. They pushed my brother into the street and hit me on the head (gee, I must have weighted all of 70 pounds) and knocked me into a blue car (can still it to this day). They were about 15 or so. What brave "Darkies". (Please don't use that term, it is very offensive by the way).

I am amazed that you condem me for being a child victim, and don't even mention the awfulness of this theft. You are definately screwed up, blame crime on sociological forces and not on individuals, and have assigned blame to all white people for every ill you can imagine. I guess you swallowed the lies of the Great Society and now poop it out on Bronx topics boards to cover the ills that it helped to create.

Oh, as I have attempted to tell you constantly, I have an open mind; ahh but you my dear Despot of Sobro-Self-Delusion, are locked in an ideological liberal-tainted mental cesspool that allows no light of reason to shine upon it. Seek help.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM

And still you are here trying to convince us that YOU are the true victim huh? It is both sad and mind boggling! When you create the animal, blame yourself when it bites you. Sounds like you learned a lesson that those black kids learned (or were taught) long before you: Life ain't fair....too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or