U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,526,173 times
Reputation: 1906

Advertisements

I don't buy the whole argument of slavery and discrimination that happened 100+ years ago for the culprit as to why a large percentage of black people are under-achievers. If the slavery/discrimination argument were true, EVERY SINGLE BLACK PERSON IN AMERICA would be unsuccessful and a loser. I don't think that's the case, do you?

So explain to me how SOME black people that come from the same dysfunctional families that's plagued black families are able to prosper while others don't?

The way people make it seem is as if black people are damned the day they are born with no hope. Is that so? I don't think so. Education is FREE. There is no excuse as to why a black person can not be prosperous. IT'S UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL black person to be pro-active and take accountability for their actions instead of blaming Whitey for their misfortunes.

 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,842,502 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I am not sure you are reading what I was saying correctly. I was explaining to Sobro that he cannot compare current day chinese slave labor, which we all can or cannot choose to help promote and/or exploit; to the past practices of african-american slavery which none of us and the majority of our ancestors had literally nothing to do with.

Or maybe I am misreading your response, I dunno...
Ah, I did misunderstand, sorry about that.
 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,842,502 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Jews had their own religion, family values etc and no attempt was made to destroy this.
This is really and truly, and dangerously so, FALSE.
Unfortunately, I do understand that people maintain this conviction. There is a woman who appears on the corner periodically - we call her "the Jew ranter" - who expresses precisely those beliefs just before accusing "the Jews" of exploiting "Our People."

I am not a Jewish person, but someone of conscience - or I try, anyway.
 
Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
IThere is no excuse as to why a black person can not be prosperous. IT'S UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL black person to be pro-active and take accountability for their actions instead of blaming Whitey for their misfortunes.

This is where you make yourself look ignorant.

There is no excuse why a black person cant succeed to some degree. And in fact large numbers of blacks have entered the middle class, not that reading your bigotted rants oine would believe this.



HOWEVER to pretend that a black and a white man in 2012 have the same opportunities, a;ll thgings being equal is NONSENSE.

Listen you hate blacks. That is quite apparent so arguing with you is useless. Studies have shown that a black man with a college degree has about the same opportunities as a white man with only high school education. And a black man with no criminal record and a high school education has the same oppportunities as a white man with a criminal record.

So continue t sing your song that we are all treated the same and reveal yourself to be an ignorant racist. Its people like you who treat people differently w/o regard to their own PERSONAL characteristics and qulities who are responsible for this inequitable treatment.

So why be shocked when some decide not even to bother to try? Many of those who do try and get to college end up returning with no better job prospects than those who just graduated high school.
 
Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is really and truly, and dangerously so, FALSE.
Unfortunately, I do understand that people maintain this conviction. There is a woman who appears on the corner periodically - we call her "the Jew ranter" - who expresses precisely those beliefs just before accusing "the Jews" of exploiting "Our People."

I am not a Jewish person, but someone of conscience - or I try, anyway.

So you are trying to tell me that Jews dont have a religion and a sense of views and family structures that have been in existence over centuries. Its is this same religion that gave them the strength to survive the bigotry thrown at them. Attempts by blacks to empower themselves through business ownership was undermined. Entire sectors of the economy were made available to Jews in Catholic Europe (where occupations directly involved in handling money was regarded as being not quite moral), hence their heavy involvement in commerce and finance. To suggest that the two oppressions are comparable is nonsense. Jews were tied to each other by shared values and a religion.

What unique ties do descendants of TransAtlantic slavery have to each other? We have the values and belief systems of our former slave masters (transmitting its comtempt of us as a people), and a deeply fractured family structure. No wonder so many blacks recoil at the notion of the image of a black Jesus and are as likely to discriminate against their own as a white person is, when they have some authority.


This is TransAtlantic slavery.

If you want to compare black descendants of TransAtlantic slavery to others compare us with the Indigeous peoples of the Americas and the Aborigines of Australia. When you do this you will see how well we have done. Certainly no comparison exists with Jews and other immigrants to the Americas. Oppressed and exploited yes. But certainly not to the degree that Africans and Indigenous peoples were. The most oppressed peasant from Italy and ghetto dweller from Poland were better equiped to survive than an exslave from Alabama, Jamaica, Cuba, or Brazil. Particularly when one considers that the post slavery eras in all these societies indicate a mission to disempower these newly freed peoples. Self reliance and entrepreneurialism arent characteristics of cultures with roots in slavery, and yet these are the very characteristics that excluded groups need to improve their position in society.

This is not an excuse for contemporary dysfunction. This is however a fact when those like you who pretend that a Jewish immigrant to the USA, while oppressed, didnt have numerous advantages over a newly freed black. Certain groups had a head start and so are better equipped to do well. Others were more hobbled, so one would expect that larger % of those populations will be less competitive in a society like NYC which is based on competing ethnic groups all struggling to gobble up the prize for their own.

Last edited by caribny; 06-20-2012 at 02:09 PM..
 
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 PM
 
6,963 posts, read 5,455,713 times
Reputation: 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
EVERY SINGLE BLACK PERSON IN AMERICA would be unsuccessful and a loser. I don't think that's the case, do you?


The way people make it seem is as if black people are damned the day they are born with no hope. Is that so? I don't think so. Education is FREE. There is no excuse as to why a black person can not be prosperous. IT'S UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL black person to be pro-active and take accountability for their actions instead of blaming Whitey for their misfortunes.

When you and your fellow racists blame the decline of the Bronx on the "dark hordes" you damn every single black and hispanic person.. So dont pretend otherwise. In other posts you have damned Wakefield as a hell hole even though whole sections of it are populated by home owners who are professionals/managers, administrative and technical workers etc.

Dont pretend to be an innocent now as you have never suggested that its the PERSONAL characteristics of some people which ought to be deplored. Not their race or ethnicity.
 
Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 PM
 
1 posts, read 942 times
Reputation: 10
very detailed bronx-guyenese. and a guyunese would know. in upstate new york the mayor of schenectady even requested they come there and rehabilitate the buildings there. he gave them the key of the city because apparently some of the white mutts there, whatever polish irish mongrel mix or whatever werent getting the job done. why else would a mayor throw open the doors like this? i mean i know they got squeaky clean credit and like 15,000 right off the boat. columbia record and tape and others didnt wreck their credit. you are seeing the mass migration of whites, id have to agree with that. a lot probably are living on the outskirts now. im currently in the city, in texas (tejas) to boot so i feel like a real white bread sometimes..
 
Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
 
770 posts, read 892,526 times
Reputation: 529
Default Wait, I hear that sound....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I can agree with that Webster...nobody is arguing that point. Where we don't agree is the fact that you ONLY assign blame on "personal responsibility" and do not acknowledge the system that has created this behavior.

You can "Man Up" all you want, but when someone won't hire you because of your color, or you don't have the advantages of good schools, neighborhoods etc because for generations your family wasn't allowed to participate in society/generate or bequeath wealth/buy homes, etc, and because for generations you are relegated to the bottom rung with no access to capital, professional networks/relationships, how exactly do you "Man Up"? By saying it?

And that's where we differ. Keep blaming the people, but ignoring what caused the situation is grossly ignorant.

Wait for it....do you hear it? Listen closely and you will again hear the victimhood drum, seems to be in the same old beat pattern, courtesy of 'drumstick Sobro' and his band of anti-white.
 
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,575,022 times
Reputation: 4168
It's called acknowledging the problem. And if it weren't for people acknowledging these problems, women would not have the right to vote, interacial marriage would still be illegal, and "separate but equal" would be alive and well. But hey they should have all kept quiet and not complain and whine about being victims...I wish they never beated the victim drum right!

I am not anti-white, I am not anti-black, but I have the ability to acknowledge the past and present societal issues we have, and not simply pretend they don't exist because you say so or someone tells you we are all equal.

Wait for it....do you hear it? Listen closely and you will again here the "we are all equal and the past doesn't matter" nonsense courtesy of "revisionist history/lala land Webster Ave Guy". In fact, it's been said since reconstruction and the banning of slavery...slavery was no more and everyone was equal remember? That reality still hasn't happened...no matter how much you keep repeating it.

And back to the Bronx....it ain't bad at all actually...it's actually pretty darn good!
 
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Harlem World
555 posts, read 1,002,801 times
Reputation: 306
I just need a liiiiiiiiiiittttttttttlle more convincing..I want to, I want to...I just love my area in Harlem. But for what you get int he Bronx, especially for what I pay I looooooooooove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top