U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM

629 posts, read 1,060,586 times

Advertisements

Ok I read most of these posts and this is my opinion. I honestly don't think color has much to do with the choices people make and the opportunities we take advantage of. I was born and raised in the Bronx and from my experience the biggest problem is peer pressure. It is very difficult to be your own person or become unique when you have to worry about the rest of the sheep who drag you down with them or give you trouble for being different. Now this is a world wide problem but in the bronx I always notice a large amount of angry people. A group of ten 15 year olds in the bronx could be nothing or could be a random beat down waiting to happen. With these kinds of groups it only takes one to get the idea and the rest follow. The point is that in this type of environment you either get stronger and stand up to these kind of people or you join the group and avoid your beat downs by bringing down someone else.

Eventually these people grow up and the variety of personalities show the effect of living here. Some are succesful and learn how to easily handle conflict. Some just survive and never know anything outside of their little world. Some remain angry and have trouble staying out of trouble because their still trying to impress their dead beat friends. Others become adult low lifes who only know how to spread their misery. These are the scum that give the bronx a bad name. They drag everyone down and know how to ruin a good streak of success.

The ones who succeed are very strong and can pretty much deal with any problem. They've seen it all and learned how to apply their life lessons to the real world. You'd be surprised how many succesful people you meet actually grew up in the bronx.

The really sad part is when a really smart and bright person gets dragged down and loses sight of their bright future. You'd be surprised by the number of thugs in the city who have a high level of intelligence and just wasted it away. There are no idiots. Only people not willing to put in the effort to achieve what they're capable of.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,558,155 times
I can agree with that. It is always the few rotten apples though of course.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or