Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:13 PM

576 posts, read 1,592,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You see this is what irks me. You were going just fine until you got to that part. I repeat, you went through a nice, safe, area of the Bronx. How the hell does that small area make the entire Bronx safe? Do you not understand the fallacy in your illogical statement?

Hey guys look! I'm riding through Bay Ridge..pstt Brooklyn is not so bad after all. LOL

The MAJORITY of the Bronx is sketchy to dangerous. The MAJORITY of
Queens is safe. You went through ONE area of the Bronx, that is not enough to say that you can live in the Bronx and that the Bronx is not that bad. The Bronx get's it's bad reputation because of uhh..THE BAD NEIGHBORHOODS, not no freaking safe little neighborhood. C'mon man. I invite you to get off the 183rd street stop on the 4 train. Stay outside and watch you cry home to mommy. You want to act hard and stuff? Then go to an actual hood and stop boasting that you can make it here, when in actuality many people lose their lives trying to get out of here.

I wonder how you would have reacted when the first time you take your girlfriend out on a date, you see the lifeless body of a man, lying dead on E 180th and Hughes in East Tremont, who you just saw alive and well the day before.

How you would have reacted when you come home to your building on W 183rd street in University Heights at 3 am in the morning, and as soon as you step into the lobby you are surrounded by teenagers offering you all kinds of drugs. You see heroin, crack, coke, marijuana, picked out of secret compartments and being shoved into your face.

I could go on.

West Palm Beach aint nothing. You try to make it seem so hard. Maybe I should bike ride down a nice suburban street filled with palm trees,proceed to get on city data, and brag about how safe it is.

Hunts Point as an example, if it where it's own city, would fall roughly into the top 5 in every single crime category in the US.

Mott Haven's robbery and assault rates would rank in among the worst in the country.

The Bronx is majority slummy, poor, and high crime. NO other borough can say that.

You should write this instead:

I passed through a nice neighborhood in the Bronx. I realized that the Bronx is not ENTIRELY bad, and I can live in THAT neighborhood with no problem.
My God mario we get it, how many years of the same post just re worded.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:34 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,975,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
Even the Pelham Bay area is slowly going down the tubes. I grew up there, and left about 5 years ago because it's getting to the point where you can't own a nice car or have a house without a burglar alarm. Almost everyone I know that still lives there and has a halfway decent car has woken up to missing tires, headlights, and/or side view mirrors.
Mother of Jesus,I get so tired of these NY'ers who grew up in outer borough white ethnic enclaves and who have warped memories of their supposedly crime free "old neighborhoods" .

I have lived in 10 different NYC neighborhoods in 3 boroughs over a period of over 30 years and there is not one I ever lived in where this problem wasn't around.

In the 70's and 80's even in Manhattan they didn't just take a mirror or a tire,they would strip the whole car over night ....wheels, mirrors, batteries, doors,radios.....everything ! And then set the car on fire if they felt like it.

The fact is that there is much less of this type of crime everywhere in the city than there was back in the good old days.

I would agree however that there are far too many Escalades on the streets in Pelham Bay.They seem to be the car of choice there.Those kinds of cars are targets.

People who keep expensive cars on the streets in any neighborhood or in any city for that matter are stupid.At this point I'm sure word is out in the hoods that the streets of Pelham Bay are paved with Escalade parts !

If I were going to keep a car anywhere in NYC I would make sure it either wasn't a tempting target like an Escalade or I would keep it in a garage.That goes for Park Slope,Riverdale,UES,Bay Ridge.....anywhere.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-18-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,314,770 times
Ironically, I keep a 2010 Mercedes E350 on the street in Mott Haven for 1.5 years now with no problems. However I think people think it is a drug dealers car, because you will also find late model, pimped out Escalades, Range Rovers, and Mercedes S5000 also parked on my street (and those are the actual drug dealers).

Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM

576 posts, read 1,592,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Ironically, I keep a 2010 Mercedes E350 on the street in Mott Haven for 1.5 years now with no problems. However I think people think it is a drug dealers car, because you will also find late model, pimped out Escalades, Range Rovers, and Mercedes S5000 also parked on my street (and those are the actual drug dealers).
Must be doin alright for yourself huh?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,785,000 times
One of the few people speaking with him that seems to be well off and stay in his hood and try to make it better... We don't always see eye to eye on things but you gotta respect that...

Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,161,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
Heh, when I transfered high schools to this urban transfer school in downtown manhattan, everyday the hoodest kids would all get together...from all the different boroughs/hoods, (east ny, BK, harlem, BX) and argue about whos hood was tougher. It was actually one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. When you go to a school in a specific hood, its solely about that hood. So to see all these random hood kids from everywhere, with their little different perks, arguing over this was just so entertaining to me.

You had the brooklyn kid saying "nikka harlem? HARLEM? hahahahaha, I bet you every corner of brooklyn could take harlem easy. Matter fact, PARK SLOPE TOO." There weren't many BX kids in the school, so one day they all ganged up on this kid from the bronx. All I remember hearing was the bronx kid saying "WHAT? WHAT? SO? THAT DON'T EVEN MATTER, EVERY BOROUGH GOT ***** PARTS"

The Bronx is not the wasteland its made out to be, and I have the UN of hood kids to back me up on that too XD.
Hahaaa that reminds me of my high school days in the late 90's. Not gonna get into specifics but I went to a school in Harlem and at this school there was a big rivalry between Brooklyn and Harlem. Nothing violent mostly just rivalry. The Brooklyn kids were so flashy and cocky, and of course they thought they were the toughest. LOL. What bothered me was that they thought they were better because many lived in a house which of course don't mean sh** at the end of the day. Too funny...

Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,161,830 times
FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen Mario say anything positive about the Bronx. Lol. Not hating because I enjoy his posts and the different POV's are what make this site fun to read. Just calling a spade a spade.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,314,770 times
Yeah we need the SuperWario types otherwise it's no fun if we all agree.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,987,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
We should also keep in mind that posters like SuperWario, for example, live in extreme generational poverty in dangerous buildings or housing projects. To these people, nothing has changed and the city (or rather their specific environment) is as dangerous and deadly as it ever was. As a result, their view of the city, or rather the Bronx, is a reflection of their personal, day-to-day challenges which never change...and it would be difficult to accept someone else's opinion which differs from theirs. The opposite extreme would be a wealthy Riverdale resident who enjoys the finer things, and thinks NYC is wonderful and a paradise, because they are shielded from all the problems.
LOL, Bro the average income in University Heights is WAY WAY WAY higher than it is in Mott Haven. Are you kidding me? BTW, I am a first generation Dominican, so no generational poverty here. Nobody here relies on public assistance, we work hard to pay our bills.

I never said the whole borough was crap. I am speaking for Bronx residents, most who live in a crappy neighborhood. The Bronx, in general, is more bad than good.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,987,431 times
Op, I'm not going to respond to your BS posts. You seem to have backtracked a little so I'll let you rock.

Lita, you're nothing but a cheerleader. Let the big boys handle buisness.

NooYowkur, you know me better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City