Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,240,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
My Friend,

I used to work in a deli on 204th a long time ago before the Bronx imploded (in the 1970s). Your description is on target. White dispora out of the Bronx was due to many factors, but from those in my old neighborhood by Kingsbridge and Fordham, the uncivil 'dark tide' is what compelled the majority of my neighbors to seek refuge elsewhere, away from the growing crime, uncivil behavior, and ugly subculture that acted like a locust swarm. We left too.

Good luck in your business. Norwood was lovely. From the Oval to Webster Ave/204th street was where we hung out, first fell in love, learned to ride bikes (mine was stolen at knife point by two black teens--after my parents saved up to buy it from Honic's Parkway store), and play ball on Moshalu parkway.
As politically incorrect (in today's world) to vocally say that it was the increase population of Blacks and Spanish people (particularly puerto ricans in the Bronx) that caused White people to flee the Bronx, that is the truth. It's an inconvenient truth to the Blacks and Puerto Ricans but it is what it is. The "transplants" (blacks & puerto ricans) brung with them a different culture and way of living that were below standard of the status quo back then. They were more aggressive and in your face type with nothing to lose. Yes there was the Italian mob, as well as some unruly and drunk Irish people but the underlying morals and standard of living still existed in these mobster or drunk Irish men that didn't leak into the neighborhood and made the neighborhood less desirable. Black and puerto rican were more aggressive and took it to another level. It was a different "in your face" breed of undesirable that made the previous undesirables look like wimps.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,186,959 times
Holy smokes. I didn't realize that Webster Ave Guy and his parents personally owned slaves. This kind of changes things, Webster. I'm gonna have to go ahead and remove you from my friend's list buddy...

Old 06-19-2012, 02:39 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,318,464 times
You didn't have to personally own slaves to promote the same system, or benefit from it. I don't own any chinese slaves, but every Wal-mart t-shirt I buy from India or China promotes that system (those paying slave wages, or employing child labor that is), and I am benefitting from it.

That being said, this dude can't think past a 2nd grade level..black guys robbed me so black people are thieves....yet somehow...white guys collapsed our global economy and stole our home's equity, my retirement funds, and subsequently lost my job from layoffs so whites are the most destructive force in the world never seems to come out of anyone's mouth. Funny huh?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 PM

770 posts, read 1,125,580 times
Wink Slaves?

Dude,

I don't understand your comment at all. I have a lot of "Dark" pals and we hang out a lot. I have a lot of white pals too and we hand out quite a bit. It's the uncivil behavior and 'gangsta' lifestyle that harms the black community and perpetuates the negative stigma that still is attached to the community.

The SOBRO-NATOR blames everyone else, especially whites, for the state of Black America. But golly jeepers Batman, he offers no sound solutions save for liberal platatudes and victimhood. Perhaps you can be his Robin?

Until you see your street turn from a kid friendly, safe and thriving area to one filled with graffiti, gangstas hanging out selling drugs, the occasional ho looking for a client, then talk to me.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You didn't have to personally own slaves to promote the same system, or benefit from it. I don't own any chinese slaves, but every Wal-mart t-shirt I buy from India or China promotes that system (those paying slave wages, or employing child labor that is), and I am benefitting from it.

That being said, this dude can't think past a 2nd grade level..black guys robbed me so black people are thieves....yet somehow...white guys collapsed our global economy and stole our home's equity, my retirement funds, and subsequently lost my job from layoffs so whites are the most destructive force in the world never seems to come out of anyone's mouth. Funny huh?

Your comparison between current day Chinese slave labor and african-american slavery which is long dead is absurd. But please, I'd love for you to explain to me how me or my immigrant family members who spoke broken English and never had any ill will towards anyone, helped promote what was done a hundred years prior.

And as far as you blaming whitey as a whole for collapsing the world economy, I'm fine with that. Go ahead. I really wouldn't blame you for feeling that way. All empires fall, and it's always pretty much going to be one skin tone that makes up the powers that be who led to it.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Webster it is not about blame game, it is about acknowledging that what happens yesterday effects today, and that we have always had a 2 tier system, one that benefits whites, and one for everyone else. If you disagree with either of those statements, then there is no point in discussing further.

You are busy talking about the symptoms of problems, and blatantly ignore the ACTUAL problem. When you don't have equality for people, segregate them, denigrate them, and don't allow for equal opportunity...what do you think the end result is? Happiness? Wealth? Civility? Yes...for those whites....for everyone else a big fat NO.

This is the fundamental issue: If instead of the talk of equality, we actually had equality and fairness, a meritocracy, and every other BS we claim to have, all of this would be moot, we would not have any of this black vs white, etc. Until the system changes...we will be singing the same tunes forever...both of us.

What's the difference between me and you? You simply say "Blacks don't want to work, are theives, blah blah it's their own fault." I say "Over the past 30 years blacks finally achieved some sort or real equality, and the idea that you can erase 300 years of complete destruction of a people, no education, no wealth building, destruction of the family unit, 3rd class citizenry relegated to all the worst things in our soceity in a matter of 30 years is ludicrous, ignorant, and ridiculous."

You are not the victim here, no matter how much you whine about that bike.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM

I guess Jews were treated pretty well for their entire existence, good points...

Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM

Yes..and Obama is the president therefore blacks are all equal and race no longer exists.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM

What does that have to do with the jews and their immaculate success after thousands of years of slavery and persecution?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:21 PM

The same thing that Obama being president has to do with the state of the average black in the US...NOTHING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City