Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:17 AM

113 posts, read 383,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
If its all about being Catholic then hispanics should make up at least a third of the force. Anyway its still discrimination based on religion and its wrong!.

A few years back I went on an interview and was asked what was my Christian denomination. The interviewer asked the normal questions but then we got comfortable and she told me how the owner was some denomination and she was another. Then she asked me what I was. I didn't show enthusiasm and really couldn't answer cause I really didn't go to church. lol I didn't get the job and I couldn't help thinking that it was because I was not a church goer. Crazy stuff.

Also, just curious, are established Irish American firemen hooking up new Irish immigrants with FDNY jobs?
Two of my cousins, both Puerto Ricans, are firemen and both are products of the Archdiocesan schools. One of them is doing a PhD in Sociology (he plans to get out soon and teach college) focusing on the demography of the FDNY and I think he said that over 70 percent of those firefighters with roots in Latin America went to Catholic school.

I remember during my days at All Hallows that one of my lay teachers, a retired fireman, said something to the affect that Cathoilic schools make good soldiers and soldiers make good firemen.

That Puerto Ricans, moreso than other Latin American nationalities, attend Catholic schools and comprise an overwhelming majority of the firemen that you would refer to as "Hispanic" serves to reinforce the notion that the culture of the department is Catholic more than any particular nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:26 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,359,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
If its all about being Catholic then hispanics should make up at least a third of the force. Anyway its still discrimination based on religion and its wrong!.

A few years back I went on an interview and was asked what was my Christian denomination. The interviewer asked the normal questions but then we got comfortable and she told me how the owner was some denomination and she was another. Then she asked me what I was. I didn't show enthusiasm and really couldn't answer cause I really didn't go to church. lol I didn't get the job and I couldn't help thinking that it was because I was not a church goer. Crazy stuff.

Also, just curious, are established Irish American firemen hooking up new Irish immigrants with FDNY jobs?
No, they tend to go mostly into Construction or the bar business.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 AM

575 posts, read 1,514,860 times
the city has spent millions of dollars over the past 20 years trying to diversify both the NYPD and NYFD. Standards have been lowered, fees are waived, target recruiting in non-white neighborhoods, extra points to city residents and still they find it difficult to get a class that is 50% minority in an overwhelming minority city. Its not by a lack of effort on the cities part but a lack of desire on the minority community. you will see a change in NYPD much quicker because there is no desire of current cops to encourage family members to join the force. the current guys are just marking time to get to 20 and get out. there is no one recommending the job today to anyone. If you go in at 21 yo, with smart planning and saving through the job self directed retirement plans, your out at 41 with never a need to work again. this was much easier to do if you started 20-25 years ago, like me.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,870,557 times
Quote:
you will see a change in NYPD much quicker because there is no desire of current cops to encourage family members to join the force
Very good point.

Quote:
your out at 41 with never a need to work again
Easier said than done.... but with a solid pension you can be more selective on your next occupation. And to get that pension to go the farthest you would have to move out of the NY area.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 17,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogden Assassin View Post
As the son of a Puerto Rican I find it dishonest and disingenuous for you to suggest that there's a long history of discrimination against what you refer to as "Latinos". Outside of Puerto Ricans, the Cubans of Florida and Chicanos of the southwest and Chicago there was no "Latino" to be discriminated against prior to thirty-five years ago.
Yeah, we are talking about New York here. And as the son of a Puerto Rican father that grew up in Brooklyn--well beyond 35 years ago I might add--who attended segregated public schools and lived in segregated neighborhoods, and who himself did not have the same employment opportunities available to whites, I know a long history of discrimination against latinos to be a matter of fact, particularly against Puerto Ricans in New York City.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:48 PM

588 posts, read 946,481 times
As long as they fight fires and keep people safe I'm not too concerned. You can't force people to take the test.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 AM

113 posts, read 383,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyusol2011 View Post
Yeah, we are talking about New York here. And as the son of a Puerto Rican father that grew up in Brooklyn--well beyond 35 years ago I might add--who attended segregated public schools and lived in segregated neighborhoods, and who himself did not have the same employment opportunities available to whites, I know a long history of discrimination against latinos to be a matter of fact, particularly against Puerto Ricans in New York City.
Proroc perhaps you're father was discriminated against because within the context of the times he was viewed by most whites as BLACK/Colored/Negro or Indian/Native American. A sad part of our history as a people is that many "passed" when it suited them and now have come back to their roots because it suits them.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,027,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
There is a term called "Ethnic Succession". It's a phenomena where certain jobs in New York City that were dominated by one ethnic group generations ago are now currently dominated by another ethnic group. Normally, this is based on population change in the city. For example.....

Transit:
Back in the day, Irish
Now, Black and Latino

Police
Back in the day, Irish and Italian
Now, still Irish and Italian, but increasing Black, Latino and Immigrant pops

Hospital workers (Local 1199)
Back in the day, Jewish
Now, mostly Caribbean

I was in a class of Professor Doug Muzzio of Baruch, who explained the firefighter phenomena. His explanation was that the Irish sons of firefighters have a heads up in the game. Much of NYFD are second, third, sometimes fourth generation firefighters. Because of that, the sons can pass the exam easily (physically, written, etc), due to Pops and Grandpops knowing what's on the exam and knowing how to take it. Someone from another group, i.e. first generation African-American, may not have anyone to give him/her a heads up on the test, therefore, it's harder for them to get in!
The term is also used for ethnic changes in neighborhoods as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM

224 posts, read 1,084,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
In a City that is now mostly immigrants, I get a kick out of the Firefighters in New York City. It seems the majority of them are Irish or Italian, and talk like old fashioned New Yorker's. It seems like few ethnic minorities can get a job as a New York City Fireman. What happened to Diversity or Affirmative Action?

This seems to be also true somewhat in NYC's Police Force. What is up?

Umm are you for real? There are so many minorites in the NYPD its unbelievable, are you serious?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM

224 posts, read 1,084,511 times
You can't even get a job with the MTA anymore if you are white. What is up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City