Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I have been sort of planning a trip to NYC in my mind and was wondering how much time I would need in order to see all of the following places.

1. Port Authorit Bus Terminal
2. Penn Station
3. Times Square
4. Macy's
5. Grand Central Station

6. Central Park (mainly the southern end)
7. Metropolitan Museum of Art
8. Museum of American History.

9. Any other large indoor places (hubs, shopping centers) I don't know about.

Thanks for information.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
Default you plan to tour the

Port Authority and Penn Station? I could understand Grand Central because of it's architecture, but the other two? what's the attraction at the PABT and PS?

There is Manhattan Plaza Mall at 33rd street and Herald Square but that is kind of 80's ish style

go to the South Street Seaport, that has a multilayered mall with mini boardwalks that overlook the water

Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,404 times
1 - 6, 1 day (If you plan on doing serious shopping then Macy's one day.)

7, 1 day

8, 1 day

Central Park can be squeezed in before or after your museum visit. Any additional places extend to a week.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:13 PM

518 posts, read 825,351 times
The Port Authority bus terminal has defied decades of attempts to clean it up. It is a cesspool.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,404 times
I agree with rl, once you venture into PS and PABT you'll pretty much see what's it's all about and would probably just take you 30 minutes to see. Then you'll realize there's nothing in there really worth seeing. They are two of the dirties places not to mention the sleezy people always hanging around. It's crowded and people are quickly moving to get to their destination unless they are stopping at one of the businesses inside.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have been sort of planning a trip to NYC in my mind and was wondering how much time I would need in order to see all of the following places.

1. Port Authorit Bus Terminal - SKIP
2. Penn Station - SKIP
3. Times Square - 1 hour
4. Macy's - 1 hour
5. Grand Central Station - 30 min

6. Central Park (mainly the southern end) - few hours
7. Metropolitan Museum of Art - few hours
8. Museum of American History. - 1 hour

9. Any other large indoor places (hubs, shopping centers) I don't know about.

Thanks for information.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
Default the Port Authority

looks pretty much the same inside as it did when it was renovated in 1980 but i still feel much safer in there than all those years back.

at least the Port Authority could be an icon of a typical seedy US bus terminal; Penn Station doesn't offer even that distinction and therefore has even less to offer a tourist

Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Excuse me, but I'm puzzled by your list. Why would anyone want to see a bus station? It's the kind of place tha no one goes to unless they have to? I don't even know why you'd want to go to Macy's. It's kind of a suspicious list.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Port Authority and Penn Station? I could understand Grand Central because of it's architecture, but the other two? what's the attraction at the PABT and PS?

There is Manhattan Plaza Mall at 33rd street and Herald Square but that is kind of 80's ish style

go to the South Street Seaport, that has a multilayered mall with mini boardwalks that overlook the water
I really just wanted to see what they look like. Penn Station was featured in the book "Catcher in the Rye" and I've always been curious since then. I also read that it is even more busy than Grand Central, so I figure it's a less touristy place than GS. However, if it really is that busy, I might skip it. Actually, I would only want to look at it briefly.

Honestly, I am less interested in the architecture, and more in seeing the kind of shops that are inside.

I also read a book when I was a kid about a brother and sister who run away to the city and stay at the museum. They also visit Macy's, I believe. I have been to some of the other Macy's stores, but I was surprised to find out how big the original one actually is in New York.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Excuse me, but I'm puzzled by your list. Why would anyone want to see a bus station? It's the kind of place tha no one goes to unless they have to? I don't even know why you'd want to go to Macy's. It's kind of a suspicious list.
If you live in a place that doesn't have city trains or interesting public transportation, these things can be interesting. Are you not aware that Grand Central Station is a major tourist attraction? There are even coffee table books devoted to Greyhound stations.

I'm actually even more interested in the more mundane type of stations. Not the ones like Grand Central. Even though GS was the first station that ever drew my attention for many years.

10. Forgot to mention the Times Square Station. If I have to see any subway that will probably be it. (But I'm more apt to travel by bus, just to see more of the city.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City