U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you think he was right?
Yes 60 84.51%
No 3 4.23%
I'm not sure 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,825,057 times
Reputation: 3000

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Get this comment from the mother:

"My daughter is just your average 24-year-old," her mother said. "She's fun-loving and full of life. "
I imagine they are suing McDonald's for millions, and that she is therefore choosing her words quite carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2011, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Harlem
65 posts, read 123,172 times
Reputation: 30
I'm disturbed not by what happens in this video, but by the apparent consequences. You just know that if that employee wound up hospitalized, McDonald's wouldn't pay a cent of his healthcare. This is what those kids down on Wall St should be protesting about. America's workers being used and abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 AM
 
2,251 posts, read 4,312,031 times
Reputation: 3709
I'm on the side of the employee.

Anyone here ever work at a McDonald's? I'm wondering what the employee handbook says about confronting irate customers. I'm sure everyone else has seen videos of convenience store clerks chasing down or hitting robbers only to be fired because "company policy" is not to get involved in a confrontation under any circumstances. If it's in their handbook, and McD says something like "We appreciate him trying to protect our restaurant but our employee handbook clearly states...." then the girls who took the beatdown will sue and win because McD didn't appropriately train their workers....

It was enraging to me to see nearly every single headline printed about this story written in such a one sided way "McD's employee beats women" "Ex-con McD Employee Beats Customers" and the like. If you just read the headlines, you'd think this was some thug who beat these people for no reason when that's not what happened at all. Yes, the guy has a conviction but he did his time, got out and got a job. Now all the forward movement this guy made is down the toilet because of these thugs and that's a shame.

There is a Facebook donation page for this guy. Not sure if it's still up or not but I read about it a week or so ago. People were trying to raise bail.

I can't find anything about the $50. either. I wondered if anyone ever checked it out or what exactly the cashier said to them. Was he laughing saying "Is this real?" or did he use that pen or some other device, determined it was fake, said something and they flipped? Nothing much has been said about the actual exchange between the cashier and the women before all hell broke loose. Or did I just miss that?

Edited to add: Here's his story from today's Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...fight_bac.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Reputation: 1562
It seems as though it's just store policy to check anything over a $20 bill. (He says something like that in the article) If it was real and they had nothing to hide, what was the argument over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 06:43 PM
 
1,253 posts, read 1,779,935 times
Reputation: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Get this comment from the mother:

"My daughter is just your average 24-year-old," her mother said. "She's fun-loving and full of life. "

yeahhh, her idea of fun is not most people's idea of fun...

The McD employee went too far. He snapped. But clearly the females were the aggressors -- including that blonde that kept screaming in his face. (How was that helping, chickie? Did it make him STOOOOP?)

This guy needs a big-time lawyer like Dominique Strauss-Kahn had (the sleazebag who jumped the maid), who can clearly prove that this was self-defense, there were plenty of witnesses, and I'd bet the females had a history of fighting.

But of course DSK is rich and the McD ex-employee is poor. So DSK goes back to France and this guy goes to Rikers (not the first offense). That's justice in the United States of America, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 07:03 AM
 
876 posts, read 1,883,791 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I'm on the side of the employee.

Anyone here ever work at a McDonald's? I'm wondering what the employee handbook says about confronting irate customers. I'm sure everyone else has seen videos of convenience store clerks chasing down or hitting robbers only to be fired because "company policy" is not to get involved in a confrontation under any circumstances. If it's in their handbook, and McD says something like "We appreciate him trying to protect our restaurant but our employee handbook clearly states...." then the girls who took the beatdown will sue and win because McD didn't appropriately train their workers....

It was enraging to me to see nearly every single headline printed about this story written in such a one sided way "McD's employee beats women" "Ex-con McD Employee Beats Customers" and the like. If you just read the headlines, you'd think this was some thug who beat these people for no reason when that's not what happened at all. Yes, the guy has a conviction but he did his time, got out and got a job. Now all the forward movement this guy made is down the toilet because of these thugs and that's a shame.

There is a Facebook donation page for this guy. Not sure if it's still up or not but I read about it a week or so ago. People were trying to raise bail.

I can't find anything about the $50. either. I wondered if anyone ever checked it out or what exactly the cashier said to them. Was he laughing saying "Is this real?" or did he use that pen or some other device, determined it was fake, said something and they flipped? Nothing much has been said about the actual exchange between the cashier and the women before all hell broke loose. Or did I just miss that?

Edited to add: Here's his story from today's Daily News: McDonald's cashier claims self-defense after brutal attack on female customers with metal bar
This statement is wrong. He was not protecting McD. He was defending himself. He was attacked, those two females werent going after money or food they went after him. The fact that he is in jail for defending himself in itself is criminal and shows you that this country has become a country of victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Reputation: 9026
I voted NOT SURE because, although I believed he had every right to physically fight these viragos off, perhaps a pipe, a potentially lethal weapon, was a bit of overkill, one step away from using a knife or a gun.

But I really am sick of the double standard that gives women equal rights in every regard but then makes them SUPER-equal in any matter of law. Then they become the delicate little flowers who must be protected.

A woman can beat on a man and if he protects himself by knocking here on her ass HE gets arrested and charged with assault...not she.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
 
9,313 posts, read 13,844,848 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I voted NOT SURE because, although I believed he had every right to physically fight these viragos off, perhaps a pipe, a potentially lethal weapon, was a bit of overkill, one step away from using a knife or a gun.
Is it really appropriate for the law to expect a person being attacked to use exactly the correct level of force (determined after the fact) and not one bit more?

BTW, anyone know if the $50 was genuine or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM
 
Location: The United States of Amnesia
1,362 posts, read 1,489,327 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Is it really appropriate for the law to expect a person being attacked to use exactly the correct level of force (determined after the fact) and not one bit more?

BTW, anyone know if the $50 was genuine or not?
LOL. I don't think we will ever know if the 50 was real or not similar to ander muller case. Was the $200 bottle of cologne ever bought or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 2,783,947 times
Reputation: 720
They had it coming, but he could have stopped after the first beatin'.

Instead, he snapped. This is why, instead of acting like wilderbeests, you act like proper human beings......if not, you get yourself a beatin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top