U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,427 times
Reputation: 11
Default How to get Section 8 if you're self-employed?

I'm 19 and I drive a taxi, for those that don't know how it works, basically my tax is 50 cents from every fare I get, and it's not on a 1099 and Bloomberg has it set up that we don't get a W2 at the end of the year. I dont recieve paystubs, or paychecks, since its a cash business, so how do I provide proof of income?
Or even proof of employment, considering that I work for myself, but not under an LLC, Inc, corp..ect?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
 
832 posts, read 1,015,816 times
Reputation: 627
Sounds bogus. Isnt there a taxi drivers union? Theres no way you get paid under the table like that, unless its a bogus job.

You can't get section 8.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
 
2,364 posts, read 1,424,039 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedacabbie View Post
I'm 19 and I drive a taxi, for those that don't know how it works, basically my tax is 50 cents from every fare I get, and it's not on a 1099 and Bloomberg has it set up that we don't get a W2 at the end of the year. I dont recieve paystubs, or paychecks, since its a cash business, so how do I provide proof of income?
Or even proof of employment, considering that I work for myself, but not under an LLC, Inc, corp..ect?

We don't need more people on Section 8 living in NY. We need less. If you can't afford your rent, stop driving a taxi and get a better paying job or move from NY. No one is entitled to live in NY so don't force the issue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM
 
165 posts, read 279,228 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiedacabbie View Post
I'm 19 and I drive a taxi, for those that don't know how it works, basically my tax is 50 cents from every fare I get, and it's not on a 1099 and Bloomberg has it set up that we don't get a W2 at the end of the year. I dont recieve paystubs, or paychecks, since its a cash business, so how do I provide proof of income?
Or even proof of employment, considering that I work for myself, but not under an LLC, Inc, corp..ect?
Just because it's a cash business and you don't receive a W2 doesn't mean that you don't have a tax burden. You have to report your income to the IRS just like everyone else. You should be keeping receipts, and if you work as an independent, you likely should be filing a Schedule C w/ the IRS just like every other business does. The income qualifications for Section 8 for an individual are $26,900. According to the State, the average taxi driver's annual salary is well above this. See: Section 8 Eligibility - New York City Housing Authority and New York Taxi Cab Driver Salary (http://411newyork.org/guide/2008/03/30/new-york-taxi-cab-driver-salary/ - broken link)

Also, your "tax" can't just be some invented number that is "basically" $.50 / fare. None of the information you present makes sense. Check with the NYC Taxi Workers Alliance. They will help you if your situation is legitimate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
009
 
1,118 posts, read 4,146,846 times
Reputation: 523
"As of December 10, 2009 NYCHA is no longer processing any new Section 8 applications."

It's either the projects or those new low income apartments being built by the city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
6,368 posts, read 10,277,148 times
Reputation: 3910
Right.Essentially there is no section 8 in NYC for new applicants or transfers. The city is working only with section 8 people who were approved more than 2 years ago and who already live in NYC.

There are also fewer and fewer landlords renting to section 8 tenants.There are people with 2 yr old vouchers who still haven't found apartments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 7,434,719 times
Reputation: 3909
I drove a taxi many, many years ago (not a yellow cab but for a car service). There was a daily sheet we had to fill out for every single fare --- pick up location, drop off location, fare, tolls. At the end of our shift, we had to turn that in to dispatch, along with the $$$. We had to keep a copy for ourselves.

If you're driving a car service, you also have this. If you're driving a yellow cab, there is a printout from the meter each shift. Your boss should be giving you a 1099 or you should be keeping track.

You should also be filing taxes every year.

You're not going to get any kind of subsidized anything without TRUE proof of income.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 02:10 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,427 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Just because it's a cash business and you don't receive a W2 doesn't mean that you don't have a tax burden. You have to report your income to the IRS just like everyone else. You should be keeping receipts, and if you work as an independent, you likely should be filing a Schedule C w/ the IRS just like every other business does. The income qualifications for Section 8 for an individual are $26,900. According to the State, the average taxi driver's annual salary is well above this. See: Section 8 Eligibility - New York City Housing Authority and New York Taxi Cab Driver Salary (http://411newyork.org/guide/2008/03/30/new-york-taxi-cab-driver-salary/ - broken link)

Also, your "tax" can't just be some invented number that is "basically" $.50 / fare. None of the information you present makes sense. Check with the NYC Taxi Workers Alliance. They will help you if your situation is legitimate.
You're right, it doesn't make sence. But since taxi drivers were rarely paying taxes on a 1099 in the past, the TLC passed a law that "non tax-paying medallion taxi drivers must pay 50 cent MTA tax on every fare" So basically thats there way of getting tax money off a cash business.

But as far as that little group you mention, the Taxi Workers Alliance is a scam. Desi Bezaeri or how ever you spell it, pretty much was exposed as a scam 3 months ago. Since you mention it though, I might be able to check with the Greater New York Taxi Association though.
You had the most useful answer, thank you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 02:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,427 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I drove a taxi many, many years ago (not a yellow cab but for a car service). There was a daily sheet we had to fill out for every single fare --- pick up location, drop off location, fare, tolls. At the end of our shift, we had to turn that in to dispatch, along with the $$$. We had to keep a copy for ourselves.

If you're driving a car service, you also have this. If you're driving a yellow cab, there is a printout from the meter each shift. Your boss should be giving you a 1099 or you should be keeping track.

You should also be filing taxes every year.

You're not going to get any kind of subsidized anything without TRUE proof of income.

Yellow cab is not gypsie cab. We dont have bosses.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top